Dhoni pulls out of SL test series

The biggest test of any cricketer is test cricket. This is the one area he has not delivered in. It says a lot about Dhonis personality that instead of being desperate to play tests and prove himself he bottles it and wimps out saying he is tired. You would think he would be desperate to play tests to prove his worth. Any other cricketer would be desperate to play to prove himself! Dhoni is a digrace and a mercenary. More interestesd in playing IPL and rubbing shoulders with bollywood celebs then playing for his country INDIA!
prove himself to who? you? he doesnt need to prove himself to anyone, he plays for himself, not to prove a point to u or anyone for that matter. right now, this mercenary can walk into any team, even sl with their great sanga wouldnt mind having dhoni to shoulder the middle order...

@DSR - He need not prove anythin to anybody , he just didn't become Captain of our team , he wroked hard for it,he's the best WK rite now for us (Well DK n PP r cr@p). He's a Captain + WK and do u know the amount of stress / tension that his body has to go thru ? IPL is a diff thing , u r not playing for ur country so the stress levels are relatively very low and u have only 20 overs to play. He deserves rest. Enjoy ur Vacation MSD :two_thumbs_up:

We have officially witnessed a change in guard of the formats of cricket now. Earlier the public used to prefer ODIs and T20s to tests but ask any cricketer and would say that test cricket was the real challenge and number 1 priority. We have witnessed the first high profile casualty of T20 and IPL and it's only a matter of time before test cricket dies out or at the very least becomes less competitive. And yes, if we look at the bottom line only it makes perfect sense - why spend a month sweating it out in the heat and humidity of Sri Lanka when you can get more visibility, money, and fame going so in a T20. Who cares about what is more difficult. Don't be surprised folks, it was always going to happen and keep a watch on a number of other high profile casualties over the next few years.

We have officially witnessed a change in guard of the formats of cricket now. Earlier the public used to prefer ODIs and T20s to tests but ask any cricketer and would say that test cricket was the real challenge and number 1 priority. We have witnessed the first high profile casualty of T20 and IPL and it's only a matter of time before test cricket dies out or at the very least becomes less competitive. And yes' date=' if we look at the bottom line only it makes perfect sense - why spend a month sweating it out in the heat and humidity of Sri Lanka when you can get more visibility, money, and fame going so in a T20. Who cares about what is more difficult. Don't be surprised folks, it was always going to happen and keep a watch on a number of other high profile casualties over the next few years.[/quote'] Agree, Shwetabh. This is absolutely devastating. India's best wicketkeeper-batsman pulling out of her most important fixtures to rest, because he's been exhausted by some high paying exhibition matches. It really doesn't get worse than this. Until this point of time, I was a huge fan of Dhoni. It wouldn't have surprised me if he walked through concrete for India. Granted, he's exhausted, but this comes as a rude shock.
prove himself to who? you? he doesnt need to prove himself to anyone, he plays for himself, not to prove a point to u or anyone for that matter. right now, this mercenary can walk into any team, even sl with their great sanga wouldnt mind having dhoni to shoulder the middle order...
Exactly he plays for HIMSELF. Vould not sum it up better. Only 1 test ton means he has a hell of a lot to prove. To me, to you, to himself, and to his country. The jury out is on Mr Dhoni, even more so know in regards to his character which is something I never thought I would doubt!
Exactly he plays for HIMSELF. Vould not sum it up better. Only 1 test ton means he has a hell of a lot to prove. To me, to you, to himself, and to his country. The jury out is on Mr Dhoni, even more so know in regards to his character which is something I never thought I would doubt!
Yes, you're right. He should play whilst exhausted from two years of non stop cricket - he'll naturally fail because of this fatigue and get dropped. Oh yes, this is far better than accepting an offer of the BCCI to take a rest.
Agree, Shwetabh. This is absolutely devastating. India's best wicketkeeper-batsman pulling out of her most important fixtures to rest, because he's been exhausted by some high paying exhibition matches. It really doesn't get worse than this. Until this point of time, I was a huge fan of Dhoni. It wouldn't have surprised me if he walked through concrete for India. Granted, he's exhausted, but this comes as a rude shock.
It doesn't to me. Read the thread 'broken arrow' where many of us discussed about Dhoni after IPL itself and how many felt that it was impossible for Dhoni to take a leave from ODIs which he has moulded into his own way by getting the young and fresh though inexperienced players and Dhoni is the only reliable batsman left in the team. It is impossible for him to opt out of ODIs now since none of the seniors are in the team and that too at Dhoni's request. A captain can't leave his ship. So where should he have taken the break from? IPL? Forget about that. It was offering him 1.5 million dollars and Chennai was banking on him as the skipper too. Kitply cup or Asia cup, however meaningless they might be, Dhoni couldn't opt out from those too and apparently he didn't even know about BCCI's policy that whichever player wanted to take a break could opt out. On the verge of burn-out, this was the only opening for him. I don't think anyone else will do it. But as you say, we'll see. We're definitely going to miss Dhoni's keeping but that is the way it is. It is better that he has taken rest before heavy break down.

dsr,you are a legend!!! Dhoni's integrity needs to be questioned. There are many here who feels Dhoni's don't care attitude is what a team like India needs...After loosing even on big matches,there's no disappointment associated with the guy at al...What's this? If the captain shows no bad feelings, why should the rest of the team? For him it seems every match is just 'a game'..nothing more than that. Sach.. has been saying for long that The Barbados loss in 97' haunted him for so many years...thats negativity! A captain who takes a loss by his heart is fragile character. Ouh....

dsr,you are a legend!!! Dhoni's integrity needs to be questioned. There are many here who feels Dhoni's don't care attitude is what a team like India needs...After loosing even on big matches,there's no disappointment associated with the guy at al...What's this? If the captain shows no bad feelings, why should the rest of the team? For him it seems every match is just 'a game'..nothing more than that. Sach.. has been saying for long that The Barbados loss in 97' haunted him for so many years...thats negativity! A captain who takes a loss by his heart is fragile character. Ouh....
Finally a post of sense. His integrity and attitude is seriously in question. Tests are the ultimate challenge, he has not delivered in them, you would think he would be chomping at the bit to prove himself and play for India, instead he opts for rest. PATHETIC
Bilkul Sahi! Talk about effed up priorities!
I am sure I read somewhere he wanted to opt out of these 2 tournaments, but was coaxed into it by the BCCI. I am trying to find the URL, bear with me. In the meanwhile, read this , posted by Siddhartha Vaidyanathan on Cricinfo
It's not been a bolt from the blue. In mid-March, a week before the home series against South Africa, Dhoni was genuinely contemplating sitting out. His back had taken a serious beating during the CB Series in Australia and his fingers were visibly bruised. It was also pretty apparent that the administrators weren't entirely convinced about his fitness - he was not in the initial list of players summoned to the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore but was asked to undertake a fitness test in the last minute.
And lets not forget IPL while we are at it. PS: Good to hear from u, beets.
OMG! No one would give up 6 crores! It's just not sane. And even if you take out the money factor, you think the BCCI would have liked it if the Indian T20 WC Winning Captain sat out of its pet project? And what abt the man himself? All his teammates are having fun and making money, and he doesnt deserve to? Sachin, after having such a long career and making beeploads of money limped thru IPL with an injury. Ostracise him too? Zaheer aggravated his injury. Mercenary! Sreesanth too. Traitor! :hatsoff:
Why not rest from IPL. Tests are more important' date=' Your country is more important! Otherwise he is just a mercenary. At least he should not be captain anymore if he dont give a hoot about representing 1 billion people[/quote'] Accourding to the Supreme court, the team that is fielded in an ODI represents the BCCI, not India as a country. Rest from IPL :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Why not put test cricket over IPL? Is money everything to you are playing with pride for your country. Some players do put the national shirt over the money of IPL. Note the ausseis only played part of IPL and sacrificed money to ensure they can pull on the baggy green jersey. Dhoni is a mercenary! Money hungry!