Tendulkar ruled out of ODI series, Badri replaces him

h4te

The ODI matches will be interesting. I would put forward the following team: 1/2. Gambhir/Sehwag as openers. They're playing like a well oiled machine right now and are going to be at their best taking on Sri Lanka's fast bowlers. One of these guys HAS to stay in and bat a long innings as they're both fantastic players of spin. 3. Badrinath or Raina: Judgement call here by the captain on who's playing better in the nets, confidence and form. Although I suspect both will see action during the ODI series. 4. Yuvrag Singh: Yes I know he's going to be easy pickings for M&M but we don't have a replacement. 5. Dhoni: The captain and tremendous anchor here as his power hitting and good form against spin will work very well from overs 35-50. 6. Rohit Sharma or Kohli: I would go with Sharma just because of his experience although Kohli will be there if Sharma can't adjust to the conditions. 7. Pathan: All rounder although I would prefer to see him being used as the 4th fast bowler here. 8. Harbhajan: Yes, a decent economical spin bowler he's adapted to the ODI game well the past few years although I could see Ojha putting him under pressure for this spot. 9. Munaf Patel or P Kumar: Kumar gets everything out of his limited natural ability and pace. Munaf is the opposite and is more of a test bowler so Kumar would get the nod here but if the conditions aren't helpful to swing then who knows. 10/11. RP Singh/Zaheer Khan: The strength of our bowling. RP is a very good bowler in terms of keeping his line and length, knows how to bowl to the tail enders and like wise Zaheer who is potent with the new ball. I think the above combinations gives us the most balanced side, batting till number 8 in Harbhajan and a five bowler combination with Pathan as the all rounder, as well as plenty of electric fielders like Badri, Rohit, etc.
Nice post !
The ODI matches will be interesting. I would put forward the following team: 1/2. Gambhir/Sehwag as openers. They're playing like a well oiled machine right now and are going to be at their best taking on Sri Lanka's fast bowlers. One of these guys HAS to stay in and bat a long innings as they're both fantastic players of spin. 3. Badrinath or Raina: Judgement call here by the captain on who's playing better in the nets, confidence and form. Although I suspect both will see action during the ODI series. 4. Yuvrag Singh: Yes I know he's going to be easy pickings for M&M but we don't have a replacement. 5. Dhoni: The captain and tremendous anchor here as his power hitting and good form against spin will work very well from overs 35-50. 6. Rohit Sharma or Kohli: I would go with Sharma just because of his experience although Kohli will be there if Sharma can't adjust to the conditions. 7. Pathan: All rounder although I would prefer to see him being used as the 4th fast bowler here. 8. Harbhajan: Yes, a decent economical spin bowler he's adapted to the ODI game well the past few years although I could see Ojha putting him under pressure for this spot. 9. Munaf Patel or P Kumar: Kumar gets everything out of his limited natural ability and pace. Munaf is the opposite and is more of a test bowler so Kumar would get the nod here but if the conditions aren't helpful to swing then who knows. 10/11. RP Singh/Zaheer Khan: The strength of our bowling. RP is a very good bowler in terms of keeping his line and length, knows how to bowl to the tail enders and like wise Zaheer who is potent with the new ball. I think the above combinations gives us the most balanced side, batting till number 8 in Harbhajan and a five bowler combination with Pathan as the all rounder, as well as plenty of electric fielders like Badri, Rohit, etc.
2 changes needed mate. Raina played beautifully in last asia cup. Rohit did NOTHING, so i would pick kohli or badri in HIS place. Also another thing is i would pick ohja over munaf / praveen. Ohja was terrific in that last series. So thats 2 spinners 3 fast bowlers including pathan.
2 changes needed mate. Raina played beautifully in last asia cup. Rohit did NOTHING' date=' so i would pick kohli or badri in HIS place. Also another thing is i would pick ohja over munaf / praveen. Ohja was terrific in that last series. So thats 2 spinners 3 fast bowlers including pathan.[/quote'] True enough about Raina but as I said the final call is going to be to the captain and I'd say he'll include Raina over Badrinath at least in the first couple of ODIs. As far as Ojha? I don't know, I put together my bowling attack hoping that we can get pace and bounce from somewhere because that's one of the things that has consistently troubled the Sri Lankans. I'm not sold on having two spinners in the side but again it depends on whether our Patel shows anything in the nets and practice sessions.
If Dhoni has his way Badri wouldn't get a single match.
or he will put him in batting positions/dicey situations where odds of success is real low.
I agree with this... Dhoni will do everything to spoil Badris career. so he can have his posterboys back in the team.. this is not jus a random rumours r something.. this was clearly seen in IPL.. and also when Virat was selected ahead of Badri.. I think he either he will never play Badri in the playing XI or he wud make him come at 6 or 7 down.. i think he ill do the 2nd option, then it becomes convenient to drop him.. Badri also dint do himself any favor by mouthing off inthe media.. shud b a good contest...... but Dhoni will reign n have his say in the end
would you guys get off Dhoni's back?.he is one smart cricketer who also has guts and determination which is lacking in some of his more illustrious team mates.you guys are always complaining about something-jeez.
They were probably the same guys that were on their knees worshipping the man after he rocked the world in the 20/20 tournament with a young side and followed it up by beating the living daylights out of Australia/Sri Lanka over seas with so many young players. As far as I'm concerned, I would rather have one experienced, tried and test Dhoni in his prime ruling the ODI side than a thousand Badrinaths who's yet to be tested in the fires of international cricket. That's the thing with fickle fans. They're duplicitous, whining and quick to flip flop.
I agree with this... Dhoni will do everything to spoil Badris career. so he can have his posterboys back in the team.. this is not jus a random rumours r something.. this was clearly seen in IPL.. and also when Virat was selected ahead of Badri.. I think he either he will never play Badri in the playing XI or he wud make him come at 6 or 7 down.. i think he ill do the 2nd option, then it becomes convenient to drop him.. Badri also dint do himself any favor by mouthing off inthe media.. shud b a good contest...... but Dhoni will reign n have his say in the end
and what could Dhoni possibly gain from that ? wasnt Dhoni the one who opted out of test series and risked losing his test spot to Kartick/Patel. Now if your argument is Dhoni knew Kartick/patel wont be able to perform well against SL and his place was never at risk then give credit to Dhoni and accept the fact that he reads players very well and him includint Kohli over Badri was a justified decision.

U dum Chamat Singh Kapadias need to stop stinking up this place with ur BS abt Dhoni vs Badri. Dhoni is a very smart cricketer and also very instinctual. He has shown to have good instincts, more than that he is willing to act on those, and live by the choices he makes. That's an effin strong personality. I trust his decisions even if I cant decipher sense in some of them, as long as the results are there. No one is above criticism and he'll get his due if he indeed makes an ass of himself. So far so good.

In the current ODI team two top players of spin will infact be opening. Its unlikly that both would be batting by the time medis/murli come to bowl. Given inexperience in MO to handle 20 overs of quality spin i am just surprised they didnt ask one of dravid or laxman to stay back for ODIs.