B-G Trophy 2008 : Build-up

Kartikey

Hussey backs Katich over brother MIKE Hussey has put family second by backing Simon Katich to retain his spot in Australia's Test team. More... Hussey backs Katich over brother By Adam Cooper September 07, 2008 MIKE Hussey has put family second by backing Simon Katich to retain his spot in Australia's Test team. With Andrew Symonds unlikely to tour India this month as he weighs up his future, the decision of who bats in the middle order is one the Australian selectors will confront this week, before they announce the squad. Symonds' absence could open a spot for David Hussey as an attacking batsman at No.5 or No.6 and part-time spinner. Mike Hussey was hopeful Symonds would return, but if not, he believed Katich should get the nod. He did, however, say his younger brother deserved consideration. "Simon Katich played so well in the West Indies ... he'd probably be the No.1 pick at this stage of the guys who weren't in if Matthew Hayden came back in," Mike Hussey said. Katich opened in the Caribbean with success in Hayden's absence through an Achilles problem, but would drop down the order if both men played in the first Test, in Bangalore starting October 9. The progress of Hayden and captain Ricky Ponting, after wrist surgery in the winter, will be monitored this week. Another area needing addressing is the choice of spinners, as candidates Beau Casson (adductor) and Bryce McGain (shoulder) were injured in a tour game in India last week, playing for Australia A. Both are hopeful of playing in a three-day game against India A, in Hyderabad starting this week. Hussey admitted Australia were far from settled on selection issues, but said the players who missed the one-day series against Bangladesh in Darwin could benefit from having time off to freshen their minds. "It might work as an advantage," he said. "Speaking for myself, coming into this (one-day) series, I had a good month off and then two weeks of hard work and then I'm feeling fresh ... that freshness is going to be important going to India as well." In between thrashing Bangladesh in the Top End, Australia's players loaded up on strength and conditioning work and used the Darwin humidity to simulate conditions in India. Hussey's own preparation was excellent, as he scored 85, eight not out and an unbeaten 57 on slow wickets, and was named man of the series. He insisted batting positively, and picking off singles, was the key to avoid being bogged down by India's spinners on the subcontinent. "If they're just bowling ball after ball at you and you're looking to survive, they're going to get you out, there's no question," he said. "So you need to be able to tick it over, need to be able to score and put the pressure back on them a little bit." Hussey is yet to play a Test in India, and said winning a series there was the toughest challenge in the world game. "The team that won in '04, they said that was probably their Everest," he said. "I don't think that's changing. "India are up there in the top two or three teams in the world and I think it's going to be a wonderful series. "It's probably the hardest place to win in international cricket." Australia depart on September 21 and play two warm-up matches before the first Test.

It irritates me that the CA look after their team by flying them in early' date=' giving them 2 practice games and time to prepare for the test series in India, whereas our board flies India into Australia 1 week before the first test (straight after a test and ODI series against Pakistan) and gives them 1 practice game. It happens in so many tours. If you look at away test series' for India (where there hasnt been an ODI series before) very often India either perform badly in a draw or lose the first test and then play better cricket as the series goes on. It just takes them a while to adjust to the conditions. How can our board not see this? Look at the Sri Lanka series (1st test lost), the Australia series (1st test lost, 2nd test ... played better but lost), the England series (played badly in a draw ... a lucky draw),
didnt we play this practice game after the sydney game(2nd test)?

Australia ready for life after Roy ANDREW Symonds may not play for Australia again, but players such as Shane Watson will easily fill the void, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland says. More... 0,5001,6240611,00.jpgSymonds ... sent home from Darwin in disgrace. Chloe Erlich Australia ready for life after Roy By Malcolm Conn September 09, 2008 CRICKET Australia chief executive James Sutherland has conceded that Andrew Symonds may never play for Australia again. But Sutherland claims there are talented players such as fellow all-rounder Shane Watson to replace Symonds if he does not continue his international career. "It would be a great loss but, at the same time, one of the great things Australian cricket is lucky to have is exciting young talent that is knocking on the door, waiting on the fringes," Sutherland said on ABC Radio. "People like Shane Watson may well get the opportunity they've yearned for for so long in his absence." Watson could get that chance as soon as October, with Symonds not expected to tour India for the four-Test series. Watson, despite his battle with injuries, is likely to be named in the Test squad when the selectors hook up this week. Symonds, 33, was sent home from last week's one-day series against Bangladesh in Darwin after going fishing instead of attending a compulsory team meeting. It was the latest in a string of incidents which led the team's leadership group and management to question whether Symonds had the commitment to play for Australia. He is being treated as an injured player and is expected to begin counselling in the next week or so. Asked if Symonds may never play for Australia again, Sutherland replied: "I don't think that's impossible. "I think the message the Australian players have sent is that we want Andrew Symonds in our team, but we want Andrew Symonds absolutely committed and wanting to be there. They're really asking him that question. "If he can't answer that question, it may well be that he's lost to the team." Sutherland doubted the huge money and exposure of the Indian Premier League, when Symonds became the highest overseas paid player at $1.5 million, was the sole reason for the Queenslander's change of attitude. "It's hard to say. He only played in the IPL for two weeks," Sutherland said. "Really I think there are a whole lot of factors and without Andrew sitting down and talking through some of his issues I don't think anyone really knows the answer to how he's been affected." Sutherland has yet to speak to Symonds following his embarrassing exit from Darwin. "As I understand it he's just taking a bit of time out and hopefully in the next week or so he'll get himself sorted and work out exactly how he wants to approach it," Sutherland said. "He's obviously got all of our support and the resources we have at our end to help him." He praised the firm stand of the leadership group, particularly stand-in captain Michael Clarke. Injured captain Ricky Ponting was also consulted along with coach Tim Nielsen and manager Steve Bernard. "I was really proud of them the way they did it. They could have taken a short-term view of it," Sutherland said. "There were obviously things going on within the team and they're very conscious of the huge program they've got coming up with a very important series against India, a big summer against South Africa and an Ashes series next year. "They see that the opportunity for him to rehabilitate himself and get himself right is probably only here and now because once they get on the road, it's going to be really hard for them."

ANDREW Symonds may not play for Australia again, but players such as Shane Watson will easily fill the void, Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland says. "Really I think there are a whole lot of factors and without Andrew sitting down and talking through some of his issues I don't think anyone really knows the answer to how he's been affected." Sutherland has yet to speak to Symonds following his embarrassing exit from Darwin. "As I understand it he's just taking a bit of time out and hopefully in the next week or so he'll get himself sorted and work out exactly how he wants to approach it," Sutherland said. "He's obviously got all of our support and the resources we have at our end to help him." He praised the firm stand of the leadership group, particularly stand-in captain Michael Clarke. Injured captain Ricky Ponting was also consulted along with coach Tim Nielsen and manager Steve Bernard. "I was really proud of them the way they did it. They could have taken a short-term view of it," Sutherland said. "There were obviously things going on within the team and they're very conscious of the huge program they've got coming up with a very important series against India, a big summer against South Africa and an Ashes series next year. "They see that the opportunity for him to rehabilitate himself and get himself right is probably only here and now because once they get on the road, it's going to be really hard for them."
Interesting to see the James S. hasn't even spoken to maakii about this, but is ready to praise the leadership group and indicate that there are others waiting to take his place. Looks like maakii has some serious issues to tackle with himself. May be he can use a fishing rod for that :haha:

Ponting, Hayden recovering fast for India tour AUSTRALIA'S battle plans to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in India next month have been buoyed by positive injury reports on skipper Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden. More... Ponting, Hayden on the mend By John Pierik September 10, 2008 AUSTRALIA'S battle plans to retain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in India next month have been buoyed by positive injury reports on skipper Ricky Ponting and Matthew Hayden. Ponting had his surgically-repaired wrist inspected by team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris in Sydney, while Hayden continues to make good progress from an achilles tendon problem. Both men missed Australia's 3-0 mauling of Bangladesh in Darwin but will be India-bound when the squad leaves on September 21. Australian coach Tim Nielsen was delighted with the progress his two key batsmen have made. "Everything has been progressing exactly as we liked with Haydos," Nielsen said. Nielsen said the focus had been on getting Hayden fully fit before having him work on his touch in the nets. The veteran opener has not played a Test or one-day international since last summer because of injury. Ponting has begun to again hit balls but has admitted he needs to step up his training regime ahead of the four-Test series, beginning in Bangalore on October 9.

India surpasses Ashes Australia batsman Simon Katich believes the Border-Gavaskar series between India and Australia has grown to be bigger than the Ashes. More... Katich: India bigger than Ashes 12/09/2008 7:33 AM PA Sport Australia batsman Simon Katich believes the Border-Gavaskar series between India and Australia has grown to be bigger than the Ashes. Australia is currently gearing up to tour India in a four-Test series, which will start in Bangalore on October 9. 00026570-image.jpg And Katich, who is in India hoping to impress the selectors while he leads an Australia A team, believes the Australian players now put a greater emphasis on their contests with India than matches against their oldest rivals England. "India-Australia is definitely bigger than the Ashes," Katich said. "I think it was the Kolkata Test in 2001 which India won after being down in the dumps which triggered this rivalry." The 2001 series is regarded as one of the most memorable in Test cricket. India lost the first Test in Mumbai within three days and slumped further when it was forced to follow on in the second Test in Kolkata. But VVS Laxman hit a magnificent 281 in the second innings as India came back to win the Test, before claiming the series 2-1. Since then the rivalry between the two nations has intensified with Australia breaking its 34-year drought in India with a series win in 2004, before it narrowly edged an entertaining - and controversial - series Down Under earlier this year 2-1. By comparison the Australians have won nine of the previous 10 Ashes series dating back to 1989, the last of which ended in a 5-0 series whitewash. And, after being a part of the Australian team that ended the sub-continental hoodoo four years ago, Katich is hoping to again be part of the team for the upcoming series. "We got that much-desired revenge in the 2004 series by beating India in their own backyard after 35-odd years," said Katich. "It was one of the greatest victories for us. India's tour of Australia was again a fantastic series." "This year in October once again it's going to be a toughie for us. I can't wait for it."

Amongst all test series in world cricket right now, the BG trophy has been the most competitive, well-fought one, producing high quality cricket and high-voltage drama, both at the same time. Rarely do we get such an amalgam. Since 2001, Apart from the Ashes 2005, I cant recollect any other test series that has created higher quality cricket than the BG trophy. Kolkata 2001,Chennai 2001, Adelaide 2004, Sydney 2007/08, Perth 2007/08 are a few test matches that will remain in the memory of every India-Aus cricket fan, just for the sheer quality of their matches. If top-class cricket isnt enough, the kind of drama we've had in these series' has been unparalled, before and since. Our comeback victory in 2001, after following on, the final day finish in Chennai and of course, the Bucknor test in Sydney, allegations of racial villification, a team threatening to pull out of a tour mid-way, a looming diplomatic crisis... You name it, we've had it all in Ind-Aus test cricket since the turn of this century. So yes, in terms of producing consistent quality and giving lots of talking points off the field, Ind-Aus >>> Ashes. But, the British press being... well... the British press, you can bet on them to hype up the next Ashes as always, like its the single biggest sporting event in the calendar. And with KP getting a 'dream-start', all the hype and hoopla will only be more extravagent this time.