The Handling of Laxman

Cricketics

this is a very big problem for team INdia. last night i was watching highlights of India-Aus test series in aus 08. and i noticed often that Laxman batted pretty well. Sachin at his very best and Sehwag hitting that century in last test to avoid the defeat for India, might have stolen the show, but Laxman shouldn't be forgotten. in every damn important test victory which we have had, he has been scoring runs heavily. infact he has played the role of "The Wall" too like his friend Dravid. i started this thread after reading someone posts in the Irani trophy match thread which said "Once again, none of our batsman, bar Sehwag, seem to have the capability to score big 100s and big 100s will be the fulcrum around which our plans will be built on." it made me think that Laxman, who can easily score centuries after centuries if we allow him to go 1st down after the fall of either opener, is just not being handled properly. the match which we all will never forget from this years BG TROPHY WAS THE PERTH TEST. we won it in style, and i am not sure that we would have won that if Laxman won't have played that innings to give India the lead. After obtaining that 100 odd lead, we failed to score well in 2nd innings and Aus were about to bowl us out easily to finish of the game and get an easy target to chase, but Laxman made his presence felt again. he didn't get 100 in the 2nd innings but scored a good 80 odd to to make sure India end up putting 400+ for Australia to chase. Bottomline we need to send Laxman up the order big time.:thumbs_up:

Laxman's hundred at Sydney singlehandedly dragged a demoralised Indian team back into the reckoning after that crushing defeat at Melbourne. That was probably the most important innings of the series. Dravid is living on borrowed time and can't score runs nowadays, it's time he made way for a better player like VVS Laxman. Think about it from the Aussies' perspective - who would they like to see walking in after India make a solid start ? I am sure they would love to bowl to Dravid, who will spend his first hour patting back every hittable ball trying to find form, allowing the Aussies to get on top of him as the run rate comes to a stand-still. On the other hand, they would dread bowling to a free-scoring batsman like Laxman, especially if he starts hitting the ball cleanly right from the beginning the way he did in that Sydney test.

I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread so far. The overall consensus among all seems to be that Rahul Dravid is stymieing the innings momentum at a crucial time, walking in a no.3 and denying the innings of much needed momentum at a crucial time. I cant recollect when was a last time Dravid made a significant impact on match situation with an innings of his. All his prodding and scratching around for painstakingly constructed 30s and 40s is not doing the team any good. Historically, the most successful teams have been those which have had a strong no.3. Rahul Dravid isn’t even the best batsman in the team anymore, let alone be one of the best in the world. I don’t know what may transpire in the series, but if the trend of Dravid stumbling and stuttering continues, we HAVE to either drop him or demote him down the order. This cant go on for too much longer. I don’t want to see Sehwag and Gambhir put on a quickfire opening partnership, only for Dravid to come in and fritter away all the advantage. And there isn’t an iota of doubt that despite being the least celebrated player of our team in the last decade, Laxman’s roles in some of the most significant victories in the recent past have been nothing short of vital.

We will see Dravid open with Sehwag in the first test. Mark my words. Dravid can't refuse anymore as that is the only slot available for him now. Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dhoni, Raina/Badrinath, Kumble, Harbhajan, Ishant, Zaheer will be the playing X1 for the first test.
your kids will ask you one day "papa, who was gautam gambhir?"
We will see Dravid open with Sehwag in the first test. Mark my words. Dravid can't refuse anymore as that is the only slot available for him now. Sehwag, Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dhoni, Raina/Badrinath, Kumble, Harbhajan, Ishant, Zaheer will be the playing X1 for the first test.
Where did Raina come from all of a sudden.. Sehwag, Gambhir, Laxman, Sachin (if Sachin is injured, then Ganguly), Dravid, Ganguly/Badri/Kaif, Dhoni, Kumble, Harbhajan, Zaheer, Ishant
laxman, these days is trying to play more on the leg side he is closing the face of his bat too early and if he continues doing this, we will lose him in the early stages of the innings he should come at 5 as ganguly would no longer be there
he closed the face too soon today (Irani 2nd inn against nanda)