Ganguly Announces Retirement!

more then 11k runs in odis's test avg. over 40 all the time thats batting LEFTY, when he was a righty :haha: led india to victory at places your mom never dreamed about so stfu and eat **** :finger:
My post was in direct response to someone claiming he was one of the greatest of all time. So unless you agree with that, you'd best keep your crap to yourself.
My post was in direct response to someone claiming he was one of the greatest of all time. So unless you agree with that' date=' you'd best keep your crap to yourself.[/quote'] He was one of the greatest Indian captain of all time (definitely the best I have seen in 25 years). Coupled with very good test record, and excellent ODI performances all through his career, he can definitely be called an all time great cricketer. India has had better batsmen, better performers with bat and ball, but such a good batsman and extra-ordinarily shrewd captaincy all rolled in to one guy is very rare. He stared down the Aussie and Eng chumps, took on SA and SL like no other, and put Pak in its place. He supported the youngsters like no onther, they had complete confidence of the skipper and gave their 100%.
My post was in direct response to someone claiming he was one of the greatest of all time. So unless you agree with that' date=' you'd best keep your crap to yourself.[/quote'] he IS one of the greats... tell me how many exactly have 11k runs? anyways, y dont you get your useless hating out of this thread? thx
he IS one of the greats... tell me how many exactly have 11k runs? anyways, y dont you get your useless hating out of this thread? thx
I'm not hating on anyone. I just don't see the point in calling someone great when he was a very good batsman and captain. Yeah he scored a lot of runs but he also played a huge amount of matches so you expect that figure to be high. If that's the criteria then players like Viv Richards etc aren't great simply because they didn't play as many matches and hence didn't have so many total runs. For example, was his fielding great? Or his running between the wickets? Yeah, he's retiring and he made a lot of contributions but I don't see the point in getting carried away when he has so many glaring flaws, not to even mention how he resorted to a media campaign when he was asked to step aside. Greateness is reserved for dominating players who are head and shoulders above their contemporaries. Ganguly wasn't even the best or 2nd best batsmen in his own team for most of his career.
For example, was his fielding great? Or his running between the wickets? not to even mention how he resorted to a media campaign when he was asked to step aside. Ganguly wasn't even the best or 2nd best batsmen in his own team for most of his career.
not everyone is perfect.. gangs batted, bowled and mostly captained the team, which most of the great batsmen cant seem to do as it affects their batting, even with the captainship, he was the most dominating player for us between 99-02. Obi. with a god in our team, its easy for fools like you to forget about people like him.. LOL as for the media campaign, wtf.. your gay guru greg started all that anyways and just what exactly does all that off field crap have to do with playing cricket? he took us to the WC final, while with greg in charge we fell flat on our asses. he proved idiots like you wrong when he made the comeback and showed he still had it.. batting great, and bowling great dosent make a player great... look at the mental strength of this dude.. its amazing, and way he got people performing as their best :hail: dada :hatsoff:

Farewell Dada, how much ever I hated on you for dragging on, I completely acknowledge your immense contribution to Indian Cricket. Thank you for instilling the belief. Your legacy is in very good hands.

the order of seniors retiring should be ganguly - after the 2nd test after a string of single digit scores dravid - after the aus series tendulkar can play for another year & laxman for 2-3 more years(laxman is only 33) and kumble can play till whenever he wants. spinners dont get old
but... but.. what abt Rohit Sharma?

Apart from his batting, I applaud Ganguly for the way he handled captaincy after match fixing mess left by Azhar & co. Indian cricket saw a low during that time. Full credit to Ganguly the way he encouraged youngsters like Sehwag, Pathan, Yuvraj, Zaheer and made India reach WC2003 final. I salute you:isalute:

not everyone is perfect.. gangs batted, bowled and mostly captained the team, which most of the great batsmen cant seem to do as it affects their batting, even with the captainship, he was the most dominating player for us between 99-02. Obi. with a god in our team, its easy for fools like you to forget about people like him.. LOL as for the media campaign, wtf.. your gay guru greg started all that anyways and just what exactly does all that off field crap have to do with playing cricket? he took us to the WC final, while with greg in charge we fell flat on our asses. he proved idiots like you wrong when he made the comeback and showed he still had it.. batting great, and bowling great dosent make a player great... look at the mental strength of this dude.. its amazing, and way he got people performing as their best :hail: dada :hatsoff:
You pretty much proved my point. When you can't argue your side of the discussion coherently, and have to resort to childish name calling, it pretty much shows your speaking from an emotional point of view rather than logical one. Thanks for trying anyway. For a guy that never went higher than 8th in the ICC rankings as a test player he's hyped up foolishly. Great player, yeah right.

I can't see why is there a debate he was good or not? I think he was excellent. He was an excellent leader and an equally good batsman. Ganguly may not be an absolute legend but he was bloody good. I would rate him in the class of Mark Waugh, Aravinda DeSilva, Saeed Anwar, Azhar to name a few. That is definitely not bad. He has served India very well and his decision to retire could not have come at a better time. There are few talented batsmen in the domestic circuit and India should not really have much problems finding his replacement. That said Ganguly is quite smart though, he has announced retirement well before the start of the series and the team is only selected for the first 2 tests. Now he'll be picked for the last two tests as well :winky:

You pretty much proved my point. When you can't argue your side of the discussion coherently, and have to resort to childish name calling, it pretty much shows your speaking from an emotional point of view rather than logical one. Thanks for trying anyway. For a guy that never went higher than 8th in the ICC rankings as a test player he's hyped up foolishly. Great player, yeah right.
Interesting posts from the guy who cried and abused me when I criticsed Dhoni and his poor test record. Leaping to his defence at every chance. Yet when a true great retires who has a good test match record you slaughter him. You remark he is hyped up foolishly. This actually applies to your beloved Dhoni!
Interesting posts from the guy who cried and abused me when I criticsed Dhoni and his poor test record. Leaping to his defence at every chance. Yet when a true great retires who has a good test match record you slaughter him. You remark he is hyped up foolishly. This actually applies to your beloved Dhoni!
See your mistake in this post is assuming that I actually give a damn what you think. :hysterical:
he has been forced to retire just days before, he said that he has atleast 2 yrs of cricket left in him he was also seen working very hard at the nets though he has made the right decision, we will surely miss him, however he played
Yes and no. We've already missed his captaining qualities, but as a player, the team didn't miss him at all both in the ODI game and in 2006 for the two test series.
what a reply... cant say ****, so going away from topic :hysterical: and ganguly will be known as a better odi player then tests.. go check his highest odi rank?:giggle: thx
As a man whose average never dropped below 41, he is a great. Give me a few more names with that distinction.
fully agree:hatsoff: