Prediction after this test (strong indications are)

Dooks

We know Ganguly is going after this series but the word is that & quite strong rumours that Anibhai is going to retire after this test, citing injury and age for recovery as excuse. I do hope he does retire but he probably wants to go out on a high after taking few more wickets. Rahulbhai is going to call it a day at the end of this series unless he drastically improves his performance. So it looks as if for the next test series we will end up with 3 newbies (2 batters and 1 bowler) plus Dhoti as captain. So, this series is a watermark in that 3 of the flab 5 are going to retire. We are in for uncertain times for next few series.

Neither Kumble or Rahul Dravid are going to retire. Ganguly is going to extend his tenure till last test match and will play all the test matches in this series.
Ravi, I think you mean Kumble when you said Ganguly. I am just going by rumours here. Anilbhai has not been the same since before SL series. RD is more than likely going after this series although he is my fav.

Ganguly will go, thankfully. RD should stay. Kumble, needs to first and foremost sort out the issues with his shoulder. If it's something that he can recover from then by all means he should take an injury break and come back. However, if it's a chronic problem that will just show up whenever he bowls then he should step aside now as he's doing more harm than good.

We know Ganguly is going after this series but the word is that & quite strong rumours that Anibhai is going to retire after this test, citing injury and age for recovery as excuse. I do hope he does retire but he probably wants to go out on a high after taking few more wickets. Rahulbhai is going to call it a day at the end of this series unless he drastically improves his performance. So it looks as if for the next test series we will end up with 3 newbies (2 batters and 1 bowler) plus Dhoti as captain. So, this series is a watermark in that 3 of the flab 5 are going to retire. We are in for uncertain times for next few series.
crap. :finger:

In the end it was the old rearguard action that took India to safety. No way the likes of Dhoni, Badrinath, Rohit Sharma, Gambhir and Sehwag would have saved this test match on the last day. Whether you like it or not these guys are about 50 times better than all the prospects in India.

^^ Great assessment Ravi. That is what I was exactly thinkong watching the last days play. People dog the seniors, but who else could of batted 70+ overs to save a game? Tendulkar played amazing. Laxman, was amazing. Ganguly played amazing to see it through with Laxman. That is why they are called seniors, not because of age, but because they can adjust to the conditions and play accordingly. I was cringing imganing that if Rohit and Badrinath were out there, India would have lost with at least 30 overs to spare. Dont be so quick to write off the the fab-4, when they are saving test matches for you. To be honest, Ganguly looks like he has another series in him. Dont worry about Kumble, he will come good. 600+ wickets, is evidence he will come good.

^^ Great assessment Ravi. That is what I was exactly thinkong watching the last days play. People dog the seniors, but who else could of batted 70+ overs to save a game? Tendulkar played amazing. Laxman, was amazing. Ganguly played amazing to see it through with Laxman. That is why they are called seniors, not because of age, but because they can adjust to the conditions and play accordingly. I was cringing imganing that if Rohit and Badrinath were out there, India would have lost with at least 30 overs to spare. Dont be so quick to write off the the fab-4, when they are saving test matches for you. To be honest, Ganguly looks like he has another series in him. Dont worry about Kumble, he will come good. 600+ wickets, is evidence he will come good.
Yup agree. This non-stop barrage about seniors in the team gets a bit too nauseating at times. Yet again it's not like these guys haven't scored in the test series all the while. Most had an excellent time in Australia, didn't do too badly against South Africa, struggled in Sri Lanka but are coming to terms now. This isn't a bad or poor performance by any means. It's just fashionable these days to thrash the fab4 and the other seniors. Imagine what results the youngsters would have fetched during this year including the away Aussie/Sri Lanka series. After yesterday's successful defiance on the last day of the test match you still see people complaining about Tendulkar not carrying on. Although I was miffed the way he didn't want to be out there batting when the light faded a little, I understand the collective effort of the team was excellent. Unfortunately Indian cricket fans in general always play favorites and nit pick every player. I can’t understand why they worry about Tendulkar not going on till the end of the day rather than looking at the brighter side of things. Tendulkar scored the highest in the second inning not just for India but Australia included. BTW Tendulkar also scored the quickest in the Indian team. It’s just that people are highly prejudiced. They set different standards for different players.

My gut instinct is, Anil Kumble will probably call it a day after this series, especially if India wins it. His career is stagnating and such an advanced stage, it doesnt make sense for him to prolong it without forceful reasons. He has nothing left to accomplish. There is no way he's going to become the leading wicket-taker and he's been captain for more than a year. On the flip side, if we lose this series and Kumble doesnt perform well, then there will be questions about his place in the team itself. I think there's a strong chance Anil will quit after this series.

In the end it was the old rearguard action that took India to safety. No way the likes of Dhoni' date=' Badrinath, Rohit Sharma, Gambhir and Sehwag would have saved this test match on the last day. Whether you like it or not these guys are about 50 times better than all the prospects in India.[/quote'] sorry to say Ravi but I dont agree with you there.. without giving youngsters any chance, you are playing them down very easily.. before dhoni brought youngsters, many were saying same thing and underestimating our youngsters.. skill levels are not up there but i would have to say that youngsters wont get into shell as much as our old brigade goes in... we gotta give them chance.. i would even argue that young guns wold have dealt first inning better than oldies.. dont underestimate them.. they are our future.. respect the past and welcome the future..
sorry to say Ravi but I dont agree with you there.. without giving youngsters any chance, you are playing them down very easily.. before dhoni brought youngsters, many were saying same thing and underestimating our youngsters.. skill levels are not up there but i would have to say that youngsters wont get into shell as much as our old brigade goes in... we gotta give them chance.. i would even argue that young guns wold have dealt first inning better than oldies.. dont underestimate them.. they are our future.. respect the past and welcome the future..
i agree except that badri hasn't exactly snatched the spot with his performance against the A side. Rohit Sharma though looks like he has realized the importance of test cricket as well

One poor series against Sri Lanka was enough for people to start dragging everyone down though I think Kumble should take a break a get fit and proper if wants to continue playing. This was the 4th test this year after Adelaide, Ahmedabad, and Colombo where he broke down in the middle of a test. With four bowlers in the attack this is simply unacceptable. We would have a good chance of winning at Adelaide and Bangalore if we had a fit Kumble. If he does not quit then he should at least take a break to get fit immediately. We can play someone else at Mohali.

sorry to say Ravi but I dont agree with you there.. without giving youngsters any chance, you are playing them down very easily.. before dhoni brought youngsters, many were saying same thing and underestimating our youngsters.. skill levels are not up there but i would have to say that youngsters wont get into shell as much as our old brigade goes in... we gotta give them chance.. i would even argue that young guns wold have dealt first inning better than oldies.. dont underestimate them.. they are our future.. respect the past and welcome the future..
I understand you need to groom younger players but you don't go around making whole sale changes. The selectors should replace Ganguly and Kumble (when he retires). Tendulkar, Rahul and Laxman can carry on for a while. Slowly the other three should be replaced in the span of next 3 years. Anyways Rahul and Laxman don't play ODI cricket so they should be fit enough to play the next two years at least.