Man, what a scene - Dhoni gives Gangs the last Hurrah

Rajiv

The little passage of play today when he had the field back and Hayden and Hussey were at the crease was very subtle....not what it appeared at all. He was lulling the batsman into a false sense of security and putting them at ease...in fact, I think he was playing them psychologically into a dominant batting mood and making them feel the pressure was off, Indian's were on the backfoot and runs would come easy and that made them drop their guard a bit. Then he snuck in a few close fielders and nipped two quick wickets using Mishra (lifter out of the rough to Hussey) and Bhajji (quicker on to Hayden who had developed a liking for the legside due to the above tactic and moved across to the off to play legside) and caught them when their guard was down. Reflecting back on it...this was a masterstroke! Dhoni actually may have quite an original and revolutionary approach to field strategy, tactics and psychology. And then the graceful gesture to Ganguly. Top marks!

The little passage of play today when he had the field back and Hayden and Hussey were at the crease was very subtle....not what it appeared at all. He was lulling the batsman into a false sense of security and putting them at ease...in fact, I think he was playing them psychologically into a dominant batting mood and making them feel the pressure was off, Indian's were on the backfoot and runs would come easy and make them drop their guard. Then he snuck in a few close fielders and nipped two quick wickets using Mishra (lifter out of the rough to Hussey) and Bhajji (quicker on to Hayden who had developed a liking forthe legside due to the above tactic and moved across to play legside) and caught them when their guard was down. Reflecting back on it...this was a masterstroke! Dhoni actually may have quite an original and revolutionary approach to field strategy, tactics and psychology. And then the graceful gesture to Ganguly. Top marks!
:two_thumbs_up::hatsoff::two_thumbs_up:

Interesting way to look at it cochise. I didn't view it that way, but it definitely does make some sense. But on the topic - what a class act. Ganguly was a revolutionary captain in Indian cricket - one of the first people in a long time who put the team's goals first and foremost. Gavaskar, Azhar, even Tendulkar to some extent, Kapil and co. were very much about individuals. Ganguly brought the culture back to a unit of 11, rather than 11 individuals. That mentality has obviously been absorbed very well by Dhoni, who'll put his ego and status second to his seniors, and do what's right for the team and others. This is a bloke who puts himself in the pressure batting situations in ODIs, and here was happy to step back from the limelight, so others could share it. What a class act, I repeat. Indian cricket is only going in the right direction with him as a skipper.

Interesting way to look at it cochise. I didn't view it that way, but it definitely does make some sense. But on the topic - what a class act. Ganguly was a revolutionary captain in Indian cricket - one of the first people in a long time who put the team's goals first and foremost. Gavaskar, Azhar, even Tendulkar to some extent, Kapil and co. were very much about individuals. Ganguly brought the culture back to a unit of 11, rather than 11 individuals. That mentality has obviously been absorbed very well by Dhoni, who'll put his ego and status second to his seniors, and do what's right for the team and others. This is a bloke who puts himself in the pressure batting situations in ODIs, and here was happy to step back from the limelight, so others could share it. What a class act, I repeat. Indian cricket is only going in the right direction with him as a skipper.
Historically too, Indian team has never had a dressing room filled with infighting and malice among players (as seen by public/media) We don't know what happens privately. The worst incident I can remember is: Sidhu and Azhar in England 1996 Even during worst crisis during GC days, the seniors got along and never was there a scene like our padosis. I am very proud of our cricketers past and present for maintaining civility in the dressing room.

As I predicted Dhoni allowed Kumble to the lift the BG trophy. This man who was pictured as senior basher as made his critics eat humble pie by respecting the seniors when they deserved the most.

nostalgia.ganguly was right into it. we saw what we gonna miss.ganguly willreamain the best indian capt. for a long time. he was natural at it. nice gesture by dhoni
yes he will remain the greatest Indian captain till Dhoni reaches the number of matches he captained. Then, it'll change. Not just greatest Indian captain, but the greatest captain. I wouldn't make this prediction if Warne was still playing. Now unless, there is some new guy out there, among the present crop, Dhoni wins hands-down. But then, please shoot me down and argue against me. :cantstop:
As I predicted Dhoni allowed Kumble to the lift the BG trophy. This man who was pictured as senior basher as made his critics eat humble pie by respecting the seniors when they deserved the most.
where was question of dhoni allowing kumble to lift the BG trophy.kumble was named captain for the series n we have won it,so he recieves the trophy ,it doesnt matter whether we won the matches under him or not.dhoni was just a stand in captain.it was same vs SA. I remember gilly led aus to series win vs india in last BG trophy in india in 2004 n ponting led them to defeat in last test,yet it was he who lifted the trophy ,not gilly. if there was someone who wasnt supposed to lift the trophy ,it was dhoni.yet it was kumble's big heart that he sent dhoni ahead of himself to recieve the trophy
where was question of dhoni allowing kumble to lift the BG trophy.kumble was named captain for the series n we have won it,so he recieves the trophy ,it doesnt matter whether we won the matches under him or not.dhoni was just a stand in captain.it was same vs SA. I remember gilly led aus to series win vs india in last BG trophy in india in 2004 n ponting led them to defeat in last test,yet it was he who lifted the trophy ,not gilly. if there was someone who wasnt supposed to lift the trophy ,it was dhoni.yet it was kumble's big heart that he sent dhoni ahead of himself to recieve the trophy
actually if u had seen the match, everyone had pretty much forgotten bout kumble. dhoni was called forth by shastri to give the post match interview, then he was asked to go collect the trophy from gavaskar and border. but as he went near them, he gestured for kumble to come forward and collect it with him. kumble wasnt initially invited by anyone. this just shows ur bias against dhoni...:finger:

What impresses me most is that where Dhoni is always very happy after winning something important, he never gets carried away. A great sign for a new captain. He remembers to give a stump to Ganguly, carry Kumble around, surrender his authorities to dada or invite Kumble to receive the trophy. Dont compare him to Gilly. Gilly had loads of experience by then and he was only a stand in captain. Punter had not retired.

always stay the same. :icflove::icflove::icflove: