Indian's slip catching was atrocious

putrevus

If they want to become a great team , they have to take their chances. In this series both dravid and laxman missed easy chances and also they were so many half chances in slips which they couldn't even get their hands to, Gary needs to work on getting other players to become part of slip cordon.

not only slip catching every second catch was being put down,dhoni put down 4 in the series,dravid 3 laxy atleast 3.also the easy drops in delhi of ishant n mishra cost us the game.lack of ground fielding can be understood as they r not too athletic but catching ,specially the easy catches is elementary. we cant even think of being no.1 if it continues like this,we cant gget away with it every time.

not only slip catching every second catch was being put down' date='dhoni put down 4 in the series,dravid 3 laxy atleast 3.also the easy drops in delhi of ishant n mishra cost us the game.lack of ground fielding can be understood as they r not too athletic but catching ,specially the easy catches is elementary. we cant even think of being no.1 if it continues like this,we cant gget away with it every time.[/quote'] I feel now they have a great attack who can take 20 wickets on all conditions , but they need support from fielders and they have to take the catches and take this nonsense that only senior players have to stand in slips and Dhoni did ok job becuase we saw his replacement in srilanka, karthik is just not good enough.
I feel now they have a great attack who can take 20 wickets on all conditions ' date=' but they need support from fielders and they have to take the catches and take this nonsense that only senior players have to stand in slips and Dhoni did ok job becuase we saw his replacement in srilanka, karthik is just not good enough.[/quote'] its not only seniors who can stand in slips,its only place where they can
its not only seniors who can stand in slips' date='its only place where they can[/quote'] That is so lame and uneducated. Dravid and Laxman have made it specialized position. You see only the drops. Dravid is 2 away from taking 181 catches (record set by MWaugh). That is world class, IMO. Laxman also has 100+ catches. Why do you think Ganguly, VVSL, Tendulkar chose not to be slip fielders. It's because we already had 2 good slip fielders.

Rick James, Dhoni grabbed at the ball instead of letting it pouch...a measure of how much he wanted the wicket. We can put that down to over-eagerness. The other members that put catches down smacked of the opposite....i.e. lethargy. Coffee...their history of catching is indeed superb...but today and in this series, was way under par.

Coffee...their history of catching is indeed superb...but today and in this series, was way under par.
Dravid dropped one catch today. Ponting's comes as not carried enough category. Same with Laxman. The one catch he dropped was a severe reverse sweep from Hayden. He closed his hands early. Yes, catching has been bad. But I was just replying to the comment that Dravid and Laxman are fielding in slips because they can't field elsewhere. They are fielding in slips is because they have been found good for a good period of time.

I agree, catching is attrocious, mostly the "greats" are dropping them however. I guess the "greatness" is only when it comes to their batting or bowling and fielding doesnt matter to these "greats" of Indian Cricket. Dhoni needs to clean up his act, he is dropping a few too many for my liking.

Rick James, Dhoni grabbed at the ball instead of letting it pouch...a measure of how much he wanted the wicket. We can put that down to over-eagerness. The other members that put catches down smacked of the opposite....i.e. lethargy. Coffee...their history of catching is indeed superb...but today and in this series, was way under par.
So? As a keeper, I'm sure he knows that you are never supposed to snatch at the ball no matter how badly you want the wicket