Chris Lewis faces drug smuggling charge

Sachinism

Chris Lewis, the former England allrounder, has been arrested and charged with attempted drug smuggling. His arrest follows the seizure of 4kg of cocaine, worth about £200,000, at Gatwick Airport. Lewis had arrived on a flight from St Lucia which landed at 6am when, according to the UK Border Agency, the Class A drug was found inside fruit tins in luggage. Lewis, 40, is due to appear before Crawley Magistrates' Court later later today. He played 32 Tests and 53 one-day internationals in the 1990s, and for Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire and Surrey in a varied county career. Last season he made an unexpected return to the professional game when he signed a one-day contract with Surrey, with the idea of playing in the Twenty20 Cup. When the team was struck down by an early-season injury crisis, Lewis was called up to play a Friends Provident Trophy match against Middlesex, but his six overs disappeared for 51 runs. In the end he made just one Twenty20 appearance, against Essex at The Oval, bowling two overs for 29 cricinfo

Guest gaurav_indian
^^ Sivaramakrishnan is a drug addict? really? hhahahaha
:hysterical::hysterical:yeh kya joke mara hai? Do you mean Laxman Sivaramakrishnan is a drug addict lol?:hysterical:
Guest gaurav_indian
yup it is true L siva was a drug addict and had other bad habits as well. Chris Lewis should have consulted Asif's lawyer.
:((:((

Chris Lewis found guilty of drug smuggling - Gets 13 years The former England allrounder, Chris Lewis, has been found guilty of smuggling cocaine into the country after being given cans of fruit juice to carry onto a flight from St Lucia, a jury at Croydon Crown Court heard. Lewis, 41, was arrested at Gatwick in December last year, after customs officials found cans of fruit juice in which cocaine had been dissolved. He was stopped along with a friend, Chad Kirnon, a former basketball player for London Towers, arriving back from holiday in St Lucia. Lewis said that Kirnon had later offered to take the blame in return from £100,000 from Lewis. The total value of the haul is estimated at £140,000, yet while Lewis told the jury he smoked cannabis while in St Lucia, he said he was "completely innocent" of knowingly smuggling in drugs to the country. He told the jury that Kirnon had asked him to carry the tins of fruit as he was concerned his luggage might be overweight. "I don't necessarily believe that Mr Kirnon wanted me to get caught, but if you infer by Mr Kirnon giving me the cans that he set me up then yes," Lewis said. "Generally throughout my life, my cricket career, when things have gone wrong its gone wrong in a very public way." Lewis's former England team-mate, Angus Fraser, reacted with sadness to the news, and said that the case should serve as a warning to all players of the trappings of fame. "I suppose this highlights how difficult it can be for players to cope once they stop playing cricket," he told Cricinfo. "They get used to a lifestyle and a certain standard of living, and a lot of cricketers don't plan for what to do when they stop playing." "As a person, Chris liked the nice things in life, the clothes and the cars, but once his playing days were over, his means of income was reduced. He needed the money and it appears he got dragged into something like this. It's very sad." Lewis is currently in High Down prison where he revealed he is now the anti-bullying representative, as well as working as his block's race-equality rep. "It's a simple one: either you did it and you knew or you didn't," he said. Lewis added that Kirnon, who is also at High Down, had approached him in prison and asked him for £100,000 in exchange for taking the blame. "Until that point it was a simple case," he said. "You had given me the juice, just say so, story's over. Now he's trying to get a bit of cash out of me." The jury continue to deliberate over Lewis's cohort, Kirnon.

Guest gaurav_indian

Lewis gets 13-yr jail term for smuggling

London: Former England allrounder Chris Lewis was jailed for 13 years on Wednesday after being found guilty of smuggling cocaine into Britain in a cricket bag. The 41-year-old Lewis, who played 32 tests and 53 one-day internationals, was stopped at Gatwick Airport in December. He had traveled from the Caribbean island of St. Lucia carrying a bag belonging to another man, co-defendant Chad Kirnon. The drugs were discovered in tins of fruit. Both men were found guilty Wednesday by a jury at Croydon Crown Court and Kirnon was also sent to prison for 13 years. The prosecution said Lewis told a customs officer that he was traveling alone and had been in St. Lucia visiting friends and family. But when his luggage was inspected, the cricket bag was found to be labeled with Kirnon's name. When questioned, Lewis said he was simply bringing three tins of fruit juice back for his mother having bought them from a shop in St. Lucia. Lewis and Kirnon pleaded not guilty to trying to bring cocaine with an estimated street value of 140,000 pounds ($211,000; euro155,400) through Gatwick Airport.
http://cricketnext.in.com/news/lewis-gets-13yr-jail-term-for-smuggling/41011-13.html