What is the future for Sreesanth?

hassan_113

A really aggressive character...what is the future for this young pacer from Cochin? He swings the ball out beautifully at good pace and his spell at the Wanderers is in my opinion, the finest in recent Indian history and that includes some of Zaheer's spells in England in 2007. I rate the boy higher than the toned-down version of Munaf and don't understand why he isn't playing. An attack of Khan, Sharma and Sreesanth with Harbhajan (Ojha in reckoning in ODIs, Mishra in tests) is a superb bowling line-up for any conditions in world cricket.

Now Fontaine...we came to a somewhat of a truce on this discussion...
:haha: Hey I'd love for Sreesanth to blatanly prove me wrong, but I don't think this kid has it in him to be a consistent, strong, committed cricketer with a long career. I think what we've seen is what we're going to get. A lot of drama on and off the field, horrible spells of bowling mixed in with some very good ones and constant injury break downs.

You discard proven performers at your own expense. Ganguly proved it when he came back in 2007, Sehwag proved it when he came back in 2008. We cant just forget Sreesanth and allow him to languish in FC cricket, waiting for him to take a bagful of wickets before contemplating selecting him. He’s definitely among the top 5-6 pacemen of the country at this moment, though he is slightly behind the pecking order right now. If any of our first choice bowlers are either injured or rested, he must be first in contention to replace them. I hope someone from the selection committee is constant touch with him, exchanging information about his form, fitness and selection prospects. Damn, I sometimes wish we too played all those minnow-desh teams like Zim, B’desh and Australia often. It will give us an excellent chance to try out fringe players and those previous first choice players who went out of contention due to form/fitness concerns. For some stupid reason, we have not played a bilateral series with a weak team since playing B’desh right after the WC ’07. I wonder when our next series with Australia is.

You discard proven performers at your own expense. Ganguly proved it when he came back in 2007, Sehwag proved it when he came back in 2008. We cant just forget Sreesanth and allow him to languish in FC cricket, waiting for him to take a bagful of wickets before contemplating selecting him. He’s definitely among the top 5-6 pacemen of the country at this moment, though he is slightly behind the pecking order right now. If any of our first choice bowlers are either injured or rested, he must be first in contention to replace them. I hope someone from the selection committee is constant touch with him, exchanging information about his form, fitness and selection prospects. Damn, I sometimes wish we too played all those minnow-desh teams like Zim, B’desh and Australia often. It will give us an excellent chance to try out fringe players and those previous first choice players who went out of contention due to form/fitness concerns. For some stupid reason, we have not played a bilateral series with a weak team since playing B’desh right after the WC ’07. I wonder when our next series with Australia is.
:--D:--D:--D
Hmmm. You are a hard nut to crack. I do not share your view. Time will tell if you are right or wrong.
Maybe because I value dedication and committment above all else. There are only a handful of players in modern cricket that can get away without it. Freddie when he went awol in WC (altho he's changed now), Symonds when he was at his best but even CA have had enough of him. I don't tolerate inconsistent bowlers who show neither the dedication or common sense to make the most of their talent. I judge Harmison harshly for the same reason as our own dancing donkey in Sreesanth. Both have tons of talent that they have squandered. Practically half of Sreesanths career is behind him yet he really only has one great spell that he can point to and that was years ago.
You discard proven performers at your own expense. Ganguly proved it when he came back in 2007' date=' Sehwag proved it when he came back in 2008.[/quote'] Since when was Sreesanth a proven performer, he has played a handful of Tests and not performed consistently well.
We cant just forget Sreesanth and allow him to languish in FC cricket' date=' waiting for him to take a bagful of wickets before contemplating selecting him. He’s definitely among the top 5-6 pacemen of the country at this moment, though he is slightly behind the pecking order right now. If any of our first choice bowlers are either injured or rested, he must be first in contention to replace them. I hope someone from the selection committee is constant touch with him, exchanging information about his form, fitness and selection prospects.[/quote'] Why can we not allow him to languish? He is young and if he does have the talent, then he will dominate FC cricket. He has just 3 FC five wicket hauls and we wish to give him a Test berth as a potential matchwinner? Other than that South Africa series, he has not averaged under 25 in any of his 10 seasons in FC cricket. In OD cricket, I feel it is more complex, he is a definate wicket taker but is highly expensive - too expensive to ever stay in the team for a prolonged period of time. He must rectify this horrid economy but if he does, I rate his potential of being a future strike option. Of course, above all this is his problem with attitude and fitness. He lacks the mental toughness to be able to stick to a plan for a long period of time without resorting to pathetic antics of sledging, varying the length of his run up, bowling a massive no ball, etc and it is not good enough. He lacks any sort of patience and it is this which will keep him from ever being a good Test bowler. Variation and unpredictability is good in ODIs at the death, but consistency is needed with the new white ball and also, a certain degree of accuracy is required, which he currently does not have. I disagree with any assessment that he lacks dedication as I feel he loves his country but merely gets over involved emotionally and also lacks patience - issues which have nothing to do with dedication.
Since when was Sreesanth a proven performer' date=' he has played a handful of Tests and not performed consistently well. [/quote'] When I say ‘proven performer’, I don’t his refer to his stats, but the potential he has. India has been blighted with substandard fast bowlers for generations and Sreesanth is one of the few who has proven to be an exception. Remember, I actually don’t support his inclusion in the team ahead of pacers like Zak, Ishant, Praveen Kumar, Irfan or RPS. I am just saying that his potential is well-known and it must not go to waste.
Why can we not allow him to languish? He is young and if he does have the talent, then he will dominate FC cricket. He has just 3 FC five wicket hauls and we wish to give him a Test berth as a potential matchwinner? Other than that South Africa series, he has not averaged under 25 in any of his 10 seasons in FC cricket. In OD cricket, I feel it is more complex, he is a definate wicket taker but is highly expensive - too expensive to ever stay in the team for a prolonged period of time. He must rectify this horrid economy but if he does, I rate his potential of being a future strike option.
Some cricketers don’t excel in the FC level, but become completely different animals when playing international cricket, which is why, for people whose performances we’ve already seen on the international stage, there is no statutory requirement that once they’re dropped, they MUST justify their re-selection by prolific performances in the FC level.
Of course, above all this is his problem with attitude and fitness. He lacks the mental toughness to be able to stick to a plan for a long period of time without resorting to pathetic antics of sledging, varying the length of his run up, bowling a massive no ball, etc and it is not good enough. He lacks any sort of patience and it is this which will keep him from ever being a good Test bowler. Variation and unpredictability is good in ODIs at the death, but consistency is needed with the new white ball and also, a certain degree of accuracy is required, which he currently does not have. I disagree with any assessment that he lacks dedication as I feel he loves his country but merely gets over involved emotionally and also lacks patience - issues which have nothing to do with dedication.
Those are minor inconsistencies that can be easily sorted with proper coaching and mentoring and are hardly reasons to give up on a person. Remember, Sreesanth is a bowler who bowls outswingers at 90 mph. How many Indian bowlers can lay their hand on such claims?
A fast bowler who cries should never be in a teamm..rather than giving a punch back' date=' he cried like a baby when slapped by Bhajji.... forget Indian team, he shouldnt be even in a Gully team.... Sreesanth is a Dhabbba on fast bowlers...[/quote'] Are you really as dumb as some of your posts suggests sometimes? Whats crying got to do with how tough a person a person is? And when did 'not shedding tears in public' become the barometer for judging the mental toughness of a person? Havent sportsman ever cried in public before? Do you want me to give you a list of some hallowed legends from different sporting disciplines who have been seen with their eyes moist in various moments of victory/defeat? The worst part is that you dont even know what exactly happened or what was said during the 'Slapgate' incident. You claim to be a 'fast bowler' at your university ( Although I am not sure how fast your 'fast' really is..) Arent there moments in your life when you feel distraught/depressed/forlorn? Or does you 'fast bowling' abilities insulate you from all those negative sentiments? I hate to get personal but because this isn’t the first time you’ve come up with this absolutely ridiculous argument, I have to say this. You’re a no-name somebody, who hasn’t even qualified to play professional cricket at ANY level, passing judgments on the mental toughness of person who has gone to achieve one of the biggest distinctions of the sporting world today; To represent India in the game of cricket. I think that tells all of us enough about the mental toughness of all the parties involved here. If Sreesanth is mentally weak, then I am sure you don’t even know what that term means.
A fast bowler who cries should never be in a teamm..rather than giving a punch back' date=' he cried like a baby when slapped by Bhajji.... forget Indian team, he shouldnt be even in a Gully team.... Sreesanth is a Dhabbba on fast bowlers...[/quote']
Are you really as dumb as some of your posts suggests sometimes? Whats crying got to do with how tough a person a person is? And when did 'not shedding tears in public' become the barometer for judging the mental toughness of a person? Havent sportsman ever cried in public before? Do you want me to give you a list of some hallowed legends from different sporting disciplines who have been seen with their eyes moist in various moments of victory/defeat? The worst part is that you dont even know what exactly happened or what was said during the 'Slapgate' incident. You claim to be a 'fast bowler' at your university ( Although I am not sure how fast your 'fast' really is..) Arent there moments in your life when you feel distraught/depressed/forlorn? Or does you 'fast bowling' abilities insulate you from all those negative sentiments? I hate to get personal but because this isn’t the first time you’ve come up with this absolutely ridiculous argument, I have to say this. You’re a no-name somebody, who hasn’t even qualified to play professional cricket at ANY level, passing judgments on the mental toughness of person who has gone to achieve one of the biggest distinctions of the sporting world today; To represent India in the game of cricket. I think that tells all of us enough about the mental toughness of all the parties involved here. If Sreesanth is mentally weak, then I am sure you don’t even know what that term means.
PWNED like a PAKI
Are you really as dumb as some of your posts suggests sometimes? Whats crying got to do with how tough a person a person is? And when did 'not shedding tears in public' become the barometer for judging the mental toughness of a person? Havent sportsman ever cried in public before? Do you want me to give you a list of some hallowed legends from different sporting disciplines who have been seen with their eyes moist in various moments of victory/defeat? The worst part is that you dont even know what exactly happened or what was said during the 'Slapgate' incident. You claim to be a 'fast bowler' at your university ( Although I am not sure how fast your 'fast' really is..) Arent there moments in your life when you feel distraught/depressed/forlorn? Or does you 'fast bowling' abilities insulate you from all those negative sentiments? I hate to get personal but because this isn’t the first time you’ve come up with this absolutely ridiculous argument, I have to say this. You’re a no-name somebody, who hasn’t even qualified to play professional cricket at ANY level, passing judgments on the mental toughness of person who has gone to achieve one of the biggest distinctions of the sporting world today; To represent India in the game of cricket. I think that tells all of us enough about the mental toughness of all the parties involved here. If Sreesanth is mentally weak, then I am sure you don’t even know what that term means.
i hate Rondduss...tell me 1 sportsmen who cried llike a Girl after getting slapped from a fellow..... i dont care how much you cry before/during/after every game but crying after being slapped..thats a bit Gay..rather than punching back Bhajjis face, all Sreesanth did was crying...one should stand for himself....to represent a national team(specially a fast bowler), one should be physically and mentally strong... sadly Sreesanth lacks both