Kiwi bowlers fearful of Sehwag: Vettori

Nash

In awe of Virender Sehwag's batting, New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori on Friday said his bowlers are "fearful" of the marauding Indian opener who regulary throws their plans haywire with a swish of his willow.:dance: Vettori said Sehwag, who struck a 36-ball 54 in the abandoned second One-dayer, forced him to deviate from his plans. "He is a great player and with great players the best laid plans can go away. That is what destructive batsmen do. They have people off their game plans," Vettori said after the match. "I wouldn't say bowlers feel intimidated, but they are fearful of what is going to come. We are never sure what he is going to do, he is that good a player that he can hit all around the park. I suppose the bowlers run in and maybe for a second or two guess what is going to happen," he added.:two_thumbs_up: Vettori said the Kiwi bowlers have to concentrate on bowling in the right areas and stop worrying about getting hit by the right-hander.:finger: "I reckon we have got to tell ourselves that we have got to bowl in our area, and if we get hit from there we can live with that," he said. LINK : http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Specials/India-in-New-Zealand/News/Kiwi-bowlers-fearful-of-Sehwag-Vettori/articleshow/4234845.cms

Vettori is a pretty good captain. He's basically challenging his bowlers as I'm sure they've tried everything else so he's publicly questioning their state of mind. Let's see if the bowlers respond. By the way where's the thread demanding Vettori to be dropped? Dhoni insulted Gambhir by pushing up the order and Vettori is publicly calling his bowlers fearful so Vettori should be dropped too!!! lol

By the way where's the thread demanding Vettori to be dropped? Dhoni insulted Gambhir by pushing up the order and Vettori is publicly calling his bowlers fearful so Vettori should be dropped too!!! lol
:winky: Vettori is right in saying - Focus on the right areas and just bowl to a plan. If you get hit, tough luck, but if the bowlers focus on the plan there is a better chance to be successful, rather than just change the Line/Length when Sehwag presses the accelerator. Sehwag's game is attacking, so the opposition always have the chance to take his wicket when he bats. If they focus on "containing" him, it is not going to work.
Vettori is a pretty good captain. He's basically challenging his bowlers as I'm sure they've tried everything else so he's publicly questioning their state of mind. Let's see if the bowlers respond. By the way where's the thread demanding Vettori to be dropped? Dhoni insulted Gambhir by pushing up the order and Vettori is publicly calling his bowlers fearful so Vettori should be dropped too!!! lol
Never ever go to the public with words like this. He should have just kept it too Sehwag is a great player. Imagine if you were one of the NZ bowlers, what would you think when you heard this?
Never ever go to the public with words like this. He should have just kept it too Sehwag is a great player. Imagine if you were one of the NZ bowlers' date=' what would you think when you heard this?[/quote'] Simple...embarrass the damn captain with a good performance! It's a back-handed challenge from Vettori.
Never ever go to the public with words like this. He should have just kept it too Sehwag is a great player. Imagine if you were one of the NZ bowlers' date=' what would you think when you heard this?[/quote'] It depends. If a Kiwi says it's not really a big deal. But if the Indian captain or Pakistan/England captain had said this then it would be front page news. For what it's worth though, Sehwag was in electic form. Even decent, good length deliveries that normallly cramp the batsmen for room were being pulled and slapped for boundaries. I'm sure there have been more exciting innings by Sehwag but it was unbelievable watching him take apart even good deliveries. It reminded me a lot of SRT in his prime. But I do find it very intersting the Vettori in some ways is echoeing what Dhoni has been saying to his young team mates since he became captain which is to go out and play without fear.

He is playing win win game for him.. If their bowlers fails, he has reason. If they shut viru down, a reverse cycology. I still rem what he said before T20. All world chaps and dangerious team. They won 2 game. He is playing same card again. Making indians relax and attacking on them.. but this time vettori is against dhoni.. :dance:

It depends. If a Kiwi says it's not really a big deal. But if the Indian captain or Pakistan/England captain had said this then it would be front page news. For what it's worth though, Sehwag was in electic form. Even decent, good length deliveries that normallly cramp the batsmen for room were being pulled and slapped for boundaries. I'm sure there have been more exciting innings by Sehwag but it was unbelievable watching him take apart even good deliveries. It reminded me a lot of SRT in his prime. But I do find it very intersting the Vettori in some ways is echoeing what Dhoni has been saying to his young team mates since he became captain which is to go out and play without fear.
SRT has never been so cruel and dominant like Sehwag is. He really makes bowler look stupid with his angryness in his shots
SRT has never been so cruel and dominant like Sehwag is. He really makes bowler look stupid with his angryness in his shots
Another Johnny Come Lately. Sehwag is a marvellous batsman, but even his most destructive moods don't compare to Sachin at his very best between 96 and 98. All I can say, having watched a wonderful number of those innings a few times over is that Tendulkar at his best is without parallel.
It depends. If a Kiwi says it's not really a big deal. But if the Indian captain or Pakistan/England captain had said this then it would be front page news. For what it's worth though, Sehwag was in electic form. Even decent, good length deliveries that normallly cramp the batsmen for room were being pulled and slapped for boundaries. I'm sure there have been more exciting innings by Sehwag but it was unbelievable watching him take apart even good deliveries. It reminded me a lot of SRT in his prime. But I do find it very intersting the Vettori in some ways is echoeing what Dhoni has been saying to his young team mates since he became captain which is to go out and play without fear.
big difference in saying "go out and play without fear" and "i think we're afraid of sehwag" And for all those saying it's back handed and reverse psychology, well true champions of the game never rely on talk, or "psychology" to win games. They just go out there and do their job. Ask Tendulkar, ask Jordan, and as of late, ask Sehwag
Another Johnny Come Lately. Sehwag is a marvellous batsman, but even his most destructive moods don't compare to Sachin at his very best between 96 and 98. All I can say, having watched a wonderful number of those innings a few times over is that Tendulkar at his best is without parallel.
..and if you notice, the game has many big hitters now..heck I even trust harbhajan to come and knock a few around. Sehwag is special indeed..but when Sachin was hitting em back in the dat, not many came close to it

Cricket: Ross Taylor admits he admires India's Virender Sehwag If Ross Taylor was a dispassionate cricket spectator, he admitshe too would be caught up in the `wow' factor associated withIndia's Virender Sehwag More... Taylor admires 'nightmare' Sehwag Published: 11:11AM Sunday March 08, 2009 Source: NZPA If Ross Taylor was a dispassionate cricket spectator, he admits he too would be caught up in the `wow' factor associated with India's Virender Sehwag. On the eve on the third one-day international against the in-form Indians - a game New Zealand must win to keep the series alive - one of the Black Caps' most eye-catching strokemakers confessed a grudging admiration for Sehwag's ability to toy with and torment opposing bowling attacks. Despite being partnered by star batsman Sachin Tendulkar at the top of the Indian order, Sehwag is arguably the show stopper as India attempt to bat themselves into an unbeatable position at AMI Stadium on Sunday (2pm). Sehwag plundered 77 from 56 balls to kickstart India's 53-run win in Napier on Tuesday, while on Friday night in Wellington his 54 from 36 had the crowd in raptures until an incorrect umpiring decision ended another staggering assault before the contest was washed out. Taylor, responsible alongside Brendon McCullum, Jesse Ryder and Martin Guptill for negating Sehwag's contribution, said had he not been fielding in the covers, he would also marvelled at the 30-year-old's ability to turn good or poor balls into boundaries. "You've got the team aspect and you're wanting to get him out -- and at the same time there's a bit of a `wow' factor about watching it," he said. "I'm sure the New Zealand public are pleased at the way he's batted. From a spectacle point of view it's an amazing thing to watch but from a player's point of view, hopefully we don't get to see it (tomorrow)." Whether the New Zealand bowlers are capable of sabotaging another onslaught remains to be seen after two failed attempts. On his last visit to Christchurch, Sehwag smacked the first three balls he faced on tour in the opening Twenty20 on to the construction site at square leg -- and that inviting boundary is certain to be targeted again. Taylor, who confessed he was happy not to be a front line bowler, said New Zealand had formulated plans to curb Sehwag -- but the implementation had been lacking. "If we bowl tight areas we can restrain him, but we have to hit that five or six balls an over to put him under pressure consistently." Taylor also rued a couple of half chances that went begging: in both games early aerial slogs fell within range of Iain O'Brien in the deep, while Taylor had an opportunity to run Sehwag out last night as his mobility was affected by a calf strain. Sehwag is not alone in taking toll off New Zealand's attack - Tendulkar, Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Suresh Raina have already notched fifties in the series - so it was no secret the seam bowlers line and length had to tighten. "We're being punished square and all the New Zealand grounds are pretty small square (of the wicket)," Taylor said. "We have to try to get them to hit down the ground a bit more. It gives us more opportunities and it's easier to set a field to as well." NZ regroup Bowling issues aside, Taylor said New Zealand camp remained confident of regrouping and not conceding their first ODI series at home since Australia won the Chapell-Hadlee Trophy in 2005. Since then New Zealand have won six and drawn one series. "We've been in this situation against the West Indies (in January) and we've come out winning the must-win games. Taylor was at the crease in Napier, in the rain, when New Zealand won the decider by nine runs to shade the five-match series 2-1. `We're still in with a sniff even though we haven't played as well as we'd have liked in the first couple of games," he said. New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori did not travel south with the team but will rejoin the squad after diverting to Auckland to spend time with his heavily pregnant wife Mary. Jeetan Patel was named yesterday as cover, but Vettori is expected to play on Sunday - though his participation in games three and four in Hamilton and Auckland may be affected by impending fatherhood. The Indian camp are remaining tight-lipped on the status of Ishant Sharma (shoulder) and the extent of Sehwag's calf strain, an impediment that saw him end last night's innings with a runner.

Nice to see this sort of respect and appreciativeness between the sides' date=' rather than the sniping and one-upmanship comments that come with other series.[/quote'] Yeah definitely. I mentioned the same thing in the lead up to the series where both sides voiced their respect for each other. Good to see that kind of mutual respect.