IPL - Total Lottery

goose

The IPL is a complete and utter lottery ! That the T20 format is a roll of the dice is something we all knew anyhow. Then you take the world's best players and sprinkle them evenly amongst 8 teams with most sides employing those players as opening bats and you have a recipe for a statistical borefest. Roll a single dice enough times and you'll get a six 16.6667% of the time. Play enough IPL games and you'll win the same amount as the next guy (unless you're Kolkata Dick Riders). As I write we're over half way through and 3 points separate 1st and 7th. There's simply no room to shine in this format. The beautiful game is going to be reduced to a net run rate debacle. Oh, and once we're done with the league phase, you've got one bite at the cherry in the semi-finals, and again in the final - sudden death. Russian roulete gets ramped up another notch. The league phase is far too long (56 games too long to be precise) and the knockout phase too short. Discuss at your leisure !

The IPL is a complete and utter lottery ! That the T20 format is a roll of the dice is something we all knew anyhow. Then you take the world's best players and sprinkle them evenly amongst 8 teams with most sides employing those players as opening bats and you have a recipe for a statistical borefest. Roll a single dice enough times and you'll get a six 16.6667% of the time. Play enough IPL games and you'll win the same amount as the next guy (unless you're Kolkata Dick Riders). As I write we're over half way through and 3 points separate 1st and 7th. There's simply no room to shine in this format. The beautiful game is going to be reduced to a net run rate debacle. Oh, and once we're done with the league phase, you've got one bite at the cherry in the semi-finals, and again in the final - sudden death. Russian roulete gets ramped up another notch. The league phase is far too long (56 games too long to be precise) and the knockout phase too short. Discuss at your leisure !
Your whole post can be summarized as "IPL = circus". Yes, but neverthless, teams fighting it out and teams being close to each other points-wise is much better to keep the tournament alive. So, that's not a bad thing, right? (and b4 the "why do you watch circus?" folks are in, well - currently circus is the only thing in town, with indian players in it, so Lalit Modi does not give us much choice. This being in SA is a good thing though)

meh-this has been discussed to death.you either like it or you dont .I on the other hand dont go around forcing purists to like T20 and the IPL but the purists i have seen cant let it go.They want to impose their views of how ridiculous the whole T20 and IPL is on others and the sad part is that they know its a losing cause.

The points congestion and subsequent knockout phase is a statistical consequence of the format - has nothing to do with cricket. Picking the top three to contest a triangular, or even the top two to contest a best of three would be better. The top four from eight followed by two semi-finals and one final is rank stupid. Top four from sixteen one could understand. It's all unadulterated bollox. I just can't get it up for IPL.

Problem is not with the format (20/20), rather with this random list of players. You have players coming and going at random making the event very unpredictable. A team like RR, if it had players like Watson and Sohail again this year from the beginning, would have most likely kicked ass again.

meh-this has been discussed to death.you either like it or you dont .I on the other hand dont go around forcing purists to like T20 and the IPL but the purists i have seen cant let it go.They want to impose their views of how ridiculous the whole T20 and IPL is on others and the sad part is that they know its a losing cause.
meh yourself. show me the post that highlights the statistical inevitability of points congestion?

i would rather have point congestion than 2 or 3 teams sucking so horrendously(like IPL-2).This unpredictability actually makes IPL-2 better than IPL-1-plus the south african pitches are awesome.I also believe the number of teams is too less but we are still in the infancy of IPL and i have no doubt that they will increase the number of teams -more fun for me i guess.

i would rather have point congestion than 2 or 3 teams sucking so horrendously(like IPL-2).This unpredictability actually makes IPL-2 better than IPL-1-plus the south african pitches are awesome.I also believe the number of teams is too less but we are still in the infancy of IPL and i have no doubt that they will increase the number of teams -more fun for me i guess.
Yes, this indeed is better than IPL-1 when it comes to the points table.

So what are you complaining about; unlike WC which Aussies have reduced to nothing more than a waste of time, BCCI has created such a competitive series that half way through the tournament any of the 7 out of 8 teams could make it to semi's ? If having 1 semi/final is a lottery then what do you call the format of 9 WCs we have had till date ?

So what are you complaining about; unlike WC which Aussies have reduced to nothing more than a waste of time, BCCI has created such a competitive series that half way through the tournament any of the 7 out of 8 teams could make it to semi's ? If having 1 semi/final is a lottery then what do you call the format of 9 WCs we have had till date ?
i have a better idea. lets get six sides, number them 1 to 6, and roll a single die 60 times. bet you they'll all end up with between 8 and 12 wins. Imagine how close it would be ! Orgasms.

i have a better idea. lets get six sides' date=' number them 1 to 6, and roll a single die 60 times. bet you they'll all end up with between 8 and 12 wins. Imagine how close it would be ! Orgasms.[/quote'] You cant see any differnce between cricket and coin tossing? One fineleg was enough. Now we have another one.