Hope Dhoni saw my performance: Rohit Sharma

mister

Deccan Chargers' Rohit Sharma hopes the hat-trick against Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League was watched by India skipper MS Dhoni as he attempts to cement his place in the one-day squad. Despite the bundle of talent, Rohit has been in and out of the one-day squad but feels Wednesday's performance would serve as a message to the India think tank. "I hope he (Dhoni) watched the game... Maybe... yes... he may have," Rohit said. His hat-trick was spread over two overs with scalps of Abhishek Nayar, Harbhajan Singh and JP Duminy and Rohit said he was taking his off-spin seriously. "I am a good bowler and have been working hard at my bowling. I didn't get enough opportunities at international level. I have been bowling well in whatever opportunities I have been getting. I am happy that I came out with a hat-trick," Rohit told IPL's official website. The 22-year-old Mumbai Ranji player was quite surprised that he got the hat-trick, the second of the ongoing IPL after Yuvraj Singh's feat, and considered himself lucky. "I never thought so, to be honest. I was lucky to get a hat-trick. I never thought I would get wickets, so let alone get a hat-trick. So quite surprising actually," said Rohit. Since his was a split hat-trick, Rohit was confused of at first and it needed Ryan Harris to inform him about his feat. "I started running all over the ground and I enjoyed it." After Wednesday's bowling performance, Rohit feels he could now be called an all-rounder. "I think so maybe, you can call me that now." :cheer:

lol, sounds pretty desperate. he's been given plenty and plenty of opportunities with the bat. and he has failed. but he will prolly get a lot more opportunities anyway. he doesn't need to sound that desperate :winky:

Well if he can bowl' date=' he should be used.[/quote'] the way he bowls, he would be cartered all over the park by even by a cobbler.. apart from that delivery to nayar, nothing seems to be pretty great... he need to ask dhoni to seem him how hez batting, and not howz hez bowling..

Rohit should be the last person goading Dhoni to watch him play. If anything, for a while it looked like Dhoni had watched too much of Rohit playing coz repeatedly kept Rohit in the team despite a prolonged series of low-scores, preferring him over other contenders like Kohli.

the way he bowls, he would be cartered all over the park by even by a cobbler.. apart from that delivery to nayar, nothing seems to be pretty great... he need to ask dhoni to seem him how hez batting, and not howz hez bowling..
i agree-nothing special by Rohit-the bastmen played awful shots.

I'm starting to dislike both Sharma and Kohli for no other reason apart from the fact that both appear to be real idiots. :dontknow:
I second that..not trying to be the fanboy or something here but this is where Raina is a bit diffrent from these two.

thats like a loser talk..wat the heck u shd worry abt ur batting and not try to come into the team because of ur bowling..I am slowly losing the confidence in this guy..i thought he is the next big test talent to come out but Rohit is proving me wrong :((

Reminds me of what Dhoni had to say when he first played against Bangladesh in 2004. After he hit a six of the last ball of the last ODI against Bangladesh, he said in the press that he hoped Ganguly saw the six. 4 wickets is no mean feat and I don't see any reason why Rohit Sharma cannot be used as an all rounder. At least give him a chance before you write him off. If Dhoni is smart enough he will get the best out of all his players.

Reminds me of what Dhoni had to say when he first played against Bangladesh in 2004. After he hit a six of the last ball of the last ODI against Bangladesh, he said in the press that he hoped Ganguly saw the six. 4 wickets is no mean feat and I don't see any reason why Rohit Sharma cannot be used as an all rounder. At least give him a chance before you write him off. If Dhoni is smart enough he will get the best out of all his players.
+1

Rohit has been given so many chances it's not funny. We already have lots of off-spinning batsmen in our team. His primary role is batting and he has not impressed at the top level. If at all, we need a batting all-rounder, someone like Nayar is better. I'd rather have someone like Badri take Rohit's slot, if Nayar won't make it.

I dont think that this is an honest article .. Its parts of his interview or press conference or whatever . below quote seems like an answer to a question like "do you think Dhoni would have seen your hat trick" or something like that

"I hope he (Dhoni) watched the game... Maybe... yes... he may have," Rohit said.
and here it seems he is talking about opportunities to bowl
"I am a good bowler and have been working hard at my bowling. I didn't get enough opportunities at international level. I have been bowling well in whatever opportunities I have been getting. I am happy that I came out with a hat-trick," Rohit told IPL's official website.

Rohit has been given so many chances it's not funny. We already have lots of off-spinning batsmen in our team. His primary role is batting and he has not impressed at the top level. If at all, we need a batting all-rounder, someone like Nayar is better. I'd rather have someone like Badri take Rohit's slot, if Nayar won't make it.
IMO Rohit Sharma is one that India should not let dwindle away. He looks a top batsman and as he showed in Australia he doesn't lack ability. These days there is less patience among the fans and selectors. I won't blame them given there is lot of talent in India right now. If you take a look at the careers of Tendulkar, Lara, Ganguly, Rahul Dravid they all had initial hiccups. With experience they all proved to be greats. I agree he needs to be consistent but when you know he is good enough and has the ability to come good in the long run you have to stick with him. How many times did Sehwag suck in the initial years? Similarly how many times did Gambhir set the world on fire in the first couple of years? There haven't been too many batsmen that have gone on to have great consistency particularly in ODIs at the start of their careers. To me Rohit Sharma looks the part. He doesn't have any apparent weakness against any particular type of bowling but gets out in odd ways. All he needs is a bit of confidence and word from the captain/selectors that he is good enough. They also need to tell him he will get about a year to prove his worth and should ensure he doesn't get sacked based on few ODI performances. He will then come good. A lot of talented youngsters are troubled with apprehension about their place in the team and won't take much risk. That doesn't help them get the best out. The likes of Tendulkar and Lara were guaranteed of selection whatever their performances. That showed in their stroke play and the way they dominated the attack around the world albeit a little bit of inconsistency. Unfortunately not a lot of youngsters are given the same treatment and rightly so. It's tough when you have selectors changing every other year and they have their own policy with regards to selection. As the national selection head Brijesh Patel choose Uthappa to represent India at the top, Vengsarkar selects Jaffer and Srikkanth select Murali Vijay. Now unless there is consistency and the selectors carry over the good job done by the previous committee the players will suffer. While the rest of the Indian young lads enjoy their lives outside cricket and are seen more in the bars looking to hook up to someone, the likes of Rohit Sharma, Dinesh Karthik, Gautam Gambhir toil away in the nets honing their cricket skills. Wonder if the selectors take that into account at all? Rohit Sharma has the ability, talent and does enough hard work. Like a lot of youngsters he will have his good and bad days but he definitely has the right mindset to become successful.

While the rest of the Indian young lads enjoy their lives outside cricket and are seen more in the bars looking to hook up to someone, the likes of Rohit Sharma, Dinesh Karthik, Gautam Gambhir toil away in the nets honing their cricket skills. Wonder if the selectors take that into account at all? Rohit Sharma has the ability, talent and does enough hard work. Like a lot of youngsters he will have his good and bad days but he definitely has the right mindset to become successful.
We don't expect our cricketers to be machines, do we? Their personal life does not matter to me as long as they perform well for India. Rohit has been quite a long rope. I'm not against him. Just that maybe he needs to sort out his mental space by playing in the domestics or a county stint. Like how Raina did. He fell away from his place in the team when he first made an appearance, but now he seems to belong there, doesn't he?