Has McGrath ever been dominated?

Daaaaaaaaaaaamn! I never knew Vaughn was that good.
Dood, check yr PMs. Just sent you a vid of Vaughan in his golden prime. Some of those cover drives could pass as Laxman's or Tendulkar's. The front foot pulls with all the wristwork and bottom hand power are reminiscent of Azhar. England's selectors killed a potentially astounding (I'm not talking volumes of runs here, just sheer class and elegance) batsman when they made him captain. :banghead:

Stats of batsmen against McWarne in 1999-2007. Source is http://www.sportstats.com.au/blogmay2007mar2008.html This considers only the balls that they bowled at a particular batsman (unlike the cricinfo statsguru)

Table 1. Best batting averages against Shane Warne 1999-2007 Runs Out Avge G Kirsten 127 1 127.0 SR Tendulkar 170 2 85.0 SM Pollock 169 2 84.5 PD Collingwood 165 2 82.5 BC Lara 222 3 74.0 KP Pietersen 307 5 61.4 SC Ganguly 114 2 57.0 JH Kallis 284 5 56.8 SP Fleming 167 3 55.7 VVS Laxman 211 4 52.8 This is an interesting mix of the very best batsmen of the era, and a few outsiders. It shows a surprising number of batsmen whose averages against Warne were as good or better than their overall career averages. Tendulkar’s record against Warne is particularly impressive; he has played 12 Tests against Warne stretching back to 1991, but Shane only ever got him three times. Gary Kirsten’s name at the top may be a bit misleading, given that he was dismissed on five other occasions by Warne before 1999. He is also one of the few leading opening batsmen with a good record against Warne, as Table 2 will show. This lists some well-known batsmen who struggled against Warne. Table 2. Prominent batsmen who failed against Warne 1999-2007. GC Smith 56 3 18.7 ME Trescothick 147 8 18.4 AJ Strauss 140 8 17.5 AG Prince 164 11 14.9 HP Tillakaratne 59 4 14.8 AB de Villiers 34 4 8.5 Abdul Razzaq 28 4 7.0 MA Atherton 20 3 6.67 Qualification: 3 dismissals. Curious to see five opening batsmen among the eight in Table 2. Perhaps it shows that they were where they belonged in the batting order. Looking at the top performers against Glenn McGrath, a different picture emerges. Table 3. Table 1. Best batting averages against Glenn McGrath 1999-2007 NJ Astle 210 3 70.0 HH Gibbs 190 3 63.3 AJ Strauss 171 3 57.0 JH Kallis 136 3 45.3 RD Jacobs 108 3 36.0 BC Lara 282 8 35.3 MA Butcher 174 5 34.8 MP Vaughan 195 6 32.5 This shows how few top batsmen ever got the measure of McGrath. The great modern Indian batsmen, who enjoy excellent overall records against Australia, all struggled to various degrees against McGrath. A couple even appear on the list of McGrath “bunnies”, in Table 4. Table 4. Prominent batsmen who failed against McGrath 1999-2007. G Kirsten 75 4 18.8 SR Tendulkar 88 5 17.6 GC Smith 81 5 16.2 CH Gayle 62 4 15.5 MA Atherton 86 6 14.3 SC Ganguly 54 4 13.5 AJ Stewart 67 5 13.4 SP Fleming 71 7 10.1 Younis Khan 50 5 10.0 N Hussain 37 4 9.25 HH Dippenaar 34 4 8.5 ST Jayasuriya 38 5 7.6 JC Adams 50 7 7.1 Mike Atherton gets the prize for worst combined performances against McGrath and Warne, averaging 16.6 overall. Of course, Atherton played Tests before 1999 that are not included in this survey, but his reputation as McGrath’s bunny, (out 19 times overall to McGrath, and ten times to Warne) suggest that he might have wished he played in another era. It is clear that of the two bowlers, McGrath has much the better record against top-class batsmen. It was already known that Warne counted proportionally more lower-order players among his victims that just about any bowler in history. This might have been because Australia bowl their opposition out more often than any other team, or because Warne didn’t open the bowling. However, the new figures suggest that the very best batsmen, especially those from the middle-order, seemed to have worked Shane out. One other observation: most of the batsmen who succeeded against one bowler failed against the other. No important batsmen surpassed his own career average against both bowlers; Kallis was the nearest thing to a success against both. (Curiously, while most failed against one or the other, not many good batsmen failed against both.) When both bowlers were in the Australian team, no batsman found the going easy. Call it synergy: a sign that cricket is a team sport after all. It certainly helps explain how Australia did not lose a home Test for ten years, as long as Warne and McGrath were both in the team. Both Warne and McGrath knew defeat at times, but almost never as team mates.

The only time I have Glenn Mcgrath dominated in the real sense of word was when Abdul Razzak hit five 4s of a single Mcgrath over in a VB series match somewhere in early 2000! The only other time he looked slightly vulnerable was in the tri series between Australia, England New Zealand(?) just before WC '07. He was terribly out of form with the ball, hardly took any wicket in the entire tournament and was even dropping catches in the field. Then, for the first time, I heard murmurs about his place in the side. Its a different matter altogether that he ended the WC that happened just after that as the leading wicket taker. But apart from this, I cannot recollect any instance where you could say Mcgrath bowled badly, let alone claim that some batsmen dominated him.

Tendulkar hit Mcgrath for 3 sixes and used F*** word in ICC championship trophy at Nairobi i think.In the 90s Tendulkar used to pull him at will. Every bowler has been dominated in one or two matches. Dennis Lillee/Thommo were clattered for 35 runs in balls by Alvin Kallicharan. Malcom Marshall was dominated by Sunny in Delhi Test when Sunny made 100 in 94 balls. I think Hadlee is one bowler batsmen struggled to dominate. But Chetan sharma scored 16 runs from Hadlee over (50th over of an ODI).

Every bowler has an off day but I can't recollect McGrath having a prolonged lean patch, for that matter even Curtly. For me Curtly was far more lethal than Glenn, it is a shame that he made his debut a bit late just like BCL. Back to the OP, as Mr. Wicket said, M. Vaughan is the only batsman who has had a pretty decent outing against Pidge. As far as making him the captain goes, ECB didn't have any other option apart from Thorpe when Nass gave up the job.Thorpe for my money isn't a captaincy material,moreover,Vaughan was captaining Yorkshire at that time, so it was a fair call. But a string of injuiries has hampered his career. Nevertheless he is a class act. Apart from him the usual suspects Lara and SRT too have had their time against Pidge. But I would say no batsman has dominated him completely like Sachin did Warne or Lara did Murali, that is what sets McG apart from the other two legends.

I remember after Tendulkar was given Shoulder Before Wicket in Australia (a series where he got 4 controversial decisions), he got hold of McGrath in Nairobi in the Champions Trophy. He made that match quite forgettable for McGrath. That pull for six was just amazing. But still, McGrath managed to go past Sachin's bat quite a few times.

Salil, that 01-02 ashes in which he dominated was just fantastic. Vaughan registered his name in ashes history by continously playing fantastic knocks. Aus crowd used to give him special ovations everytime he used to play those knocks. However, England as a team couldn't match his class and went on to lose the series.. Still remember that pic on Hindustan times or Times of India, a pic of Vaughan raising his bat with the title -"Vaughan in Ashes history books"

Salil' date=' that 01 ashes in which he dominated was just fantastic. Vaughan registered his name in ashes history by continously playing fantastic knocks. Aus crowd used to give him special ovations everytime he used to play those knocks. However, England as a team couldn't match his class and went on to lose the series..[/quote'] Yup... what a fabulous display of batting that was. Do you by any chance have Vaughan's first two hundreds that series archived? Would love to see either of those tons again - just wonderful, artistic batting. (Being a pedant here though, but the 01 Ashes was held in England - Vaughan's hundreds came in the 02/03 series.)
Yup... what a fabulous display of batting that was. Do you by any chance have Vaughan's first two hundreds that series archived? Would love to see either of those tons again - just wonderful, artistic batting. (Being a pedant here though, but the 01 Ashes was held in England - Vaughan's hundreds came in the 02/03 series.)
o ya ur rite.. my bad.. and sorry don't have that.. i think star cricket do show them in their fantastic centuries edition or something.. may be someone can record it sometime.. o still remember that series was sponsored by ORANGE... LITTLE ORANGE square on aussie jerseys

That chart posted by Tapioca demolishes a lot of myths, doesn't it. And the list isn't even correct. Sachin- 9 Tests, 17 innings against the great bowler, 88 runs scored off him, dismissed 6 times (not 5). Dominance? Only one person was dominating there, and it wasn't Sachin. McGrath got him 5 times in the first 6 Tests alone, before Sachin figured out that this was one battle he wasn't going to win. His first instinct when McGrath came into the attack was to play him out and score off the others. He never looked to attack McGrath in Tests. People try to obfuscate McGrath's utter dominance of Sachin by bringing in ODIs. Razzaq's ODI cameo gets a mention as well. Non-sequitor. There is no bowler in the history of the game who didn't get clobbered for a few boundaries in pyjama cricket. You don't put chalk on your pizza, do you? I've seen Lara and Vaughan attack McGrath, really attack him. But they didn't get away scot free, as Tapioca's list shows. At the end of his career, McGrath had the measure of the very best batsmen of his era, a staggering 50% of his dismissals comprising top order bats (Donald 49%, Ambrose 47%). Nobody in the history of the game has done better. Which is why, to me, he is the best ever. I once posted a chart of his career rankings, a chart that showed that his dominance of fellow bowlers, particularly quicks, was truly Bradmanesque.

Dhondy - just look again at that stat of how often McGrath dismissed Lara in single figures. Heads and shoulders above ALL contemporaries (I refuse to call them peers; McGrath IMO was truly peerless). Has there ever been a bowler who could rise to the level of his opposition and then better them so consistently, even when dealing with the world's greatest batsmen?

Sorry, just noticed the timeframe, Tapioca. Thal, peerless just about sums him up. The second half of his career was played out with wife Jane battling cancer. She relapsed three times before she finally succumbed to her breast cancer, and throughout it all, I don't think McGrath missed a single Test match. Superhuman.

Sorry, just noticed the timeframe, Tapioca. Thal, peerless just about sums him up. The second half of his career was played out with wife Jane battling cancer. She relapsed three times before she finally succumbed to her breast cancer, and throughout it all, I don't think McGrath missed a single Test match. Superhuman.
That probably is the most forgotten fact about McGrath, Dhondy. People speak of pressure that cricketers experience, and the man's probably played in more nervewrecking contests (for the opposition anyways) than any other, and has always come out on top. And all this while battling with, arguably, the most mentally taxing thing for any human.