The guy next to my desk at work

graphic23

what is with the hate against my telugu brothers? most of my roommates are telugu and they are some of the nicest people on earth. if you think they ought to speak english, keep in mind that contrary to popular belief, few people in india are fluent and comfortable at conversing in english. i see absolutely nothing wrong in a bunch of telugu speaking individuals conversing in that language while at work... you wont have the same attitude against two french expatriots conversing in french, or two hispanic individuals speaking spanish... no need to indulge in racial slurs because you feel left out of the telugu circle, put a cork in it and go find yourself someone who speaks your bloody language!

A Pakistani (actually a mohajir from Karachi, has a lot of relitives in India) at work explained to me why he didn't stand next to me to pee while I was at the loo. According to his religion, they are not supposed to *hold* it and pee. He also claimed he cannot work in Wall St / Financial company because his religion doesn't believe in the business of finance. An American at work believed that when immigrants come to US for the first time, somebody from the Govt meets us at the airport and explains everything about day-to-day life in US, how to open a bank account, or get loans etc.

An American at work believed that when immigrants come to US for the first time, somebody from the Govt meets us at the airport and explains everything about day-to-day life in US, how to open a bank account, or get loans etc.
:laugh: :sherlock:

Just on the other side of the cubicle wall, a project manager sits probably 4-5 feet away from me. And she is truly one of THE most irritating characters I have come across, for so many reasons. No 1 - she is probably 50+, but wants to look 25. So, everyday to work, she comes with one tonne worth of gory make-up on her face. So, on those odd occasions when we bump into each other when both of us are getting out our cubicles, I get the shock my life, seeing her face close-up. Its like actually staring into a clown. The only thing that’s missing is the red-ball tipped nose. No 2 – She has the most fake laughter of all people I have known in my life. Its so fake that even she realizes it everytime she laughs, as her laughter trails off meekly towards the end, as she figures no one is buying her ‘laughter’. That’s not the most irritating part about it. Her laughter is Loud.. I mean really LOOOOUUUUDD! Its like sitting next to a runway and listening to a plane take-off. So, if its not worse enough to endure her ridiculously fake laughter, I literally have to put my hands over my ears to make sure I don’t become deaf. And to top it all, she has an abridged version of her laughter (more of a noise..) that she rolls out every once in a while.. The closest thing that I can point out as a relevant comparison to it is the sound of those diesel generators that we have in India, as someone tugs at to start it. It startles me completely every once in a while. There have been days when I have been so pissed at hearing all sorts of strange noises emanating from her that I have actually left work an hour or two early, cursed at myself all the way during the journey to home and taken a shower to cool my temper. It is THAT bad.. ( I aint exaggerating..). Its sometimes impossible to get any work done, while she is on her giggle-a-thon. First I realized it was probably only me, but after some hesitant inquiry, I have found that most of the other co-workers in our area feel exactly the same. But, even amidst all this doom and gloom, there have been rays of hope. She works from home on Thursdays and Fridays. That’s a big relief. Also, off late, she has toned down her laughter riots quite a bit. Maybe someone put in a quiet word across to her.

A Pakistani (actually a mohajir from Karachi, has a lot of relitives in India) at work explained to me why he didn't stand next to me to pee while I was at the loo. According to his religion, they are not supposed to *hold* it and pee. He also claimed he cannot work in Wall St / Financial company because his religion doesn't believe in the business of finance. An American at work believed that when immigrants come to US for the first time, somebody from the Govt meets us at the airport and explains everything about day-to-day life in US, how to open a bank account, or get loans etc.
belive it or not but a lot of rednecks actually believe it that we come here and teh govt gives us like 40 to 50 K is loans to buy gas station s.. no bs

Just on the other side of the cubicle wall, a project manager sits probably 4-5 feet away from me. And she is truly one of THE most irritating characters I have come across, for so many reasons. No 1 - she is probably 50+, but wants to look 25. So, everyday to work, she comes with one tonne worth of gory make-up on her face. So, on those odd occasions when we bump into each other when both of us are getting out our cubicles, I get the shock my life, seeing her face close-up. Its like actually staring into a clown. The only thing that’s missing is the red-ball tipped nose. No 2 – She has the most fake laughter of all people I have known in my life. Its so fake that even she realizes it everytime she laughs, as her laughter trails off meekly towards the end, as she figures no one is buying her ‘laughter’. That’s not the most irritating part about it. Her laughter is Loud.. I mean really LOOOOUUUUDD! Its like sitting next to a runway and listening to a plane take-off. So, if its not worse enough to endure her ridiculously fake laughter, I literally have to put my hands over my ears to make sure I don’t become deaf. And to top it all, she has an abridged version of her laughter (more of a noise..) that she rolls out every once in a while.. The closest thing that I can point out as a relevant comparison to it is the sound of those diesel generators that we have in India, as someone tugs at to start it. It startles me completely every once in a while. There have been days when I have been so pissed at hearing all sorts of strange noises emanating from her that I have actually left work an hour or two early, cursed at myself all the way during the journey to home and taken a shower to cool my temper. It is THAT bad.. ( I aint exaggerating..). Its sometimes impossible to get any work done, while she is on her giggle-a-thon. First I realized it was probably only me, but after some hesitant inquiry, I have found that most of the other co-workers in our area feel exactly the same. But, even amidst all this doom and gloom, there have been rays of hope. She works from home on Thursdays and Fridays. That’s a big relief. Also, off late, she has toned down her laughter riots quite a bit. Maybe someone put in a quiet word across to her.
sounds like a woman in my office!! grr i hate people like that! i tell ya ICF is my work place saviour now! like i say noone sits next to me in my office unless they're in trouble or they want some kind of funding! :((

I am curious guys, since i have never worked a day in a corporate office, i am not aware of the proper ettiquete on this matter: is it a major faux pas to discuss politics at work? especially if your opinions differ? what if someone approaches you on the topic of spirituality, and his/her opinion differs from yours? and are you sort of obligated to dress up your cubicle/office with frivolous stuff if all most others have done so? i ask since i start work when this december and quite honestly i have serious butterflies!

I am curious guys, since i have never worked a day in a corporate office, i am not aware of the proper ettiquete on this matter: is it a major faux pas to discuss politics at work? especially if your opinions differ? what if someone approaches you on the topic of spirituality, and his/her opinion differs from yours?
Avoid Politics, Religion discussions at work. Its a pitfall. Just avoid it, and mumble something neutral if someone asks you a question about such topics.
and are you sort of obligated to dress up your cubicle/office with frivolous stuff if all most others have done so?
No, you dont have to dress up your office. Does everyone at your (future) place do it? Even then, you dont have to, if you dont feel comfortable with that.

Sriram.....your love for this woman is so apparent.:icflove:You are in love .... c'mon sreeeeeeeee..........she is the one!:eyedance:

Avoid Politics, Religion discussions at work. Its a pitfall. Just avoid it, and mumble something neutral if someone asks you a question about such topics. No, you dont have to dress up your office. Does everyone at your (future) place do it? Even then, you dont have to, if you dont feel comfortable with that.
well turns out that might be a non issue. its a research lab, and we will have our own offices. i intend to put up posters of lesbians making out.