Two nice things to appreciate

Mr. Wicket

From the last England/Sri Lanka game a few days back. Mathooze got 'run out' when he had a mid-pitch collision with Graham Onions and couldn't make his ground. Prior broke the stumps with the ball, appealed but Andrew Strauss overruled, spoke to the umpires and had Mathooze recalled. (Mathooze got out an over later without any controversy.) FWIW, Class Act Collingwood was captaining England in a similar position last summer when a NZ bat was run out in a mid pitch collision - Class Act though didn't live up to that moniker and wasn't the gentleman and good sport that Strauss is. (And of course we need no mention of a certain neanderthal drug-taking, ball tampering, teammate-hitting quick who in a similar situation in a test ten years ago immediately broke into a hysterical appeal and celebration.) During the England response, Shah started for a run, turned back and fell over on the pitch (just outside his crease). The Sri Lankan fielder at mid on had the ball, saw Shah would have made his ground otherwise (but was down outside the crease) and didn't throw. Some classy sportsmanship to enjoy.

Strauss is one of those guys I have maximum respect for as a player, leader and person. I'm sure I've mentioned it before on this board or old ICF, but I had the chance to meet him a few years back after a county match and he was one of the nicest guys off the field I've come across. Very down to earth, laid back and relaxed, and more than happy to spend time chatting with a serious fan (while also taking plenty of time to sign autographs and have photos taken with kids).

It's possible to be aggressive on the field without being a dickhead. Being tactically aggressive and attacking doesn't mean you have to behave like a Ponting, and still means you can be a graceful person off it or in such contentious moments. Strauss, Wadekar and Mark Taylor are all examples, and none were 'weak' or poor captains.

spirit of the game is one thing that strauss has written all over him as a captain and even as a non captain hes a gem of a captain, he may not have results to prove his worth but IMO hes a gr8 leader a gr8 fighter and he plays in the boundary of conduct and never even crosses it :adore: strauss mind u i dont adore anybody xcept sachin so u can imagine how much i like andrew strauss :winky:

It's possible to be aggressive on the field without being a dickhead. Being tactically aggressive and attacking doesn't mean you have to behave like a Ponting, and still means you can be a graceful person off it or in such contentious moments. Strauss, Wadekar and Mark Taylor are all examples, and none were 'weak' or poor captains.
agree.
And Tendulkar. When he shows aggression, he eclipses everything else on a cricket field. and yet, he remains one of the most humble gentlemen on and off the field. No profanity, no staring, no banter, no sledging.
why would the umpires deny a runner themselves?they have to allow it if opposition skip agrees
Yep.
A batsman must never get a runner for being tired or for developing cramps for batting for long. In fact' date=' a batsman should never be allowed a runner. You can't run? Too bad, because that's one of the essential skills of batting.[/quote'] I am fine with that. But why doesn't Strauss just say that? We all saw him shaking his head being in disagreement for a runner, then comes out and says Smith should have got a runner, why?
Seriously...do you think people should be given runners because they are tired or have cramps?
not really.i didnt see the game,so i thought he got injured wen i read that n i also think that Angelo Mathews shouldnt have been called back.wen he showed good sportsmanship in one game,why not in another?
sachin got one recently becuase he was suffering from cramps.If there was rule daying no runner for cramps then i think it was the right decision.
If Sanga had refused a runner to "God" in the Compaq final, it would have caused a riot in ICF. It's kind of becoming a norm to allow runners for cramps as they are related to a on-field injury, running hard or lunging forward. Otherwise it is pretty petty on opposing captains bickering over a small non-issue. Shame on you, Strauss.