To the NRI crowd...any timeframe to return to swades if at all ?

patriot

I think we are missing out on the economic and social front by staying out of India' date=' don't have much doubt on that. However, the standard of living has not really improved in India and the [b']over population problem will never really be solved. You will still have to wait in a mile long queue to buy a pack of condoms.
This guy thinks population is an asset.

Telecommunications.
Interesting. Do you see further consolidation among local companies happening outside the top 3 - Rcomm, Airtel and Orange ? The cell phone schemes here are totally different from what we have in India with the Rs 200 unlimited monthly incoming :laugh:

Interesting. Do you see further consolidation among local companies happening outside the top 3 - Rcomm' date=' Airtel and Orange ? The cell phone schemes here are totally different from what we have in India with the Rs 200 unlimited monthly incoming :laugh:[/quote'] But US mein in-network calls free hain bhai..plus on some carriers you can chose your fav people and talk to them free :icflove:

18 years of my life, I spent outside India. India is not my home. The sense of belonging is non - existent. My relatives dont want to leave India for the same reasons I don't want to leave Australia. Hence, we hardly ever see one another Regretful but I've learnt to deal with it. People, after reading this, probably go WTF ?

This guy thinks population is an asset.
hmm interesting article, totally different perspective on our population. well i do agree with the author about our governments ineptitude being the root cause for the bad state of our country, but somehow i cannot force myself to think that more the population better the prosperity. I dont have counter arguments at this moment but i definitely like his view points.

18 years of my life, I spent outside India. India is not my home. The sense of belonging is non - existent. My relatives dont want to leave India for the same reasons I don't want to leave Australia. Hence, we hardly ever see one another Regretful but I've learnt to deal with it. People, after reading this, probably go WTF ?
Not really. It is quite understandable. As long as you support India againgst Pak...

yea WTF? :--D

I have spent 4 years outside India and I have the same feelings as you...:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Interesting. Do you see further consolidation among local companies happening outside the top 3 - Rcomm' date=' Airtel and Orange ? The cell phone schemes here are totally different from what we have in India with the Rs 200 unlimited monthly incoming :laugh:[/quote'] Not at all. Vodafone(Hutch have absorbed by them), Airtel and Reliance are the three largest private operators going by number of subscribers. Then there's the govt behemoth BSNL. Then you have relatively smaller ones like Idea, Tata etc. And then ones which have received licenses but haven't actually started services yet e.g. Swan(who received a ridiculous sum by Dubai based Etisalat for 45% stake which effectively put the evaluation of the company at $2 bil. This without having a single subscriber) and Unitech(Norwegian Telenor has stake). Virgin is a VMO here using Tata's network. Given the sheer numbers and the very low teledensity(30%), each operator with a license knows that India is a goldmine and won't look for consolidation at this stage. When the telecom market in India starts to mature and teledensity crosses 60%, companies will look at consolidation for sure in order to reduce Capex by sharing networks etc. At the moment, despite India having the lowest ARPU($5/m) in the world, operators here are making money. They are also starting to branch out to other fields. Case in point Airtel with TV service, broadband etc. PS - Dunno if you came across the game changer from Tata-Docomo. They've launched a plan on their CDMA service where a local call will just cost Re.1 and STD call just Re.3 regardless of how long you talk for. Nobody knows how they can sustain such a revolutionary plan but customers aren't complaining.

To each his own. Why paint everyone with the same brush? If someone wants to live abroad, good for him. If someone wants to return, good for him too. As long as the concerned individual can reconcile with his decision internally (to stay or leave), they shouldnt really care what other people are saying about it. The single biggest reason people give to back up their decision to live abroad is the general standard of living and quality of lifestyle. That is not such a big factor for me because a)I am not that perceptive an individual to begin with (or) I try to keep my state of mind as independent as possible of the luxuries/miseries the surroundings offer and b)I have endured through some rough living conditions right from my childhood. There were times during the early 90s when the water shortage in Madras was so acute that we got running water supply only for 20 mins a day. Then, the entire family would scramble to fill every available container in the household with water. I have seen floods that have literally inundated my apartment with ankle high water. We used to have power-cuts almost every night, rendering me sleepless for half of the night. I have traveled in buses and trains that have been so crowded that you could hear the other person's heart beat. In essence, for me to have lived through all those times to now come and say 'Oh, i cant do without comforts' is a bit...hmm...contradictory. But, I terribly miss the sights and sounds of India and the unique sort of life-style. I miss many things starting from the 5 minute walk at 6.30 in the morning to the nearest paper-stall, where i would buy the latest copy of India today for 15 bucks and peruse it over a cup of coffee, right down to the midnight trips we would undertake the fast food stall nearby. Back home, i somehow felt 'connected' to the environment around me. I have NEVER had that feeling here. And the more time i spend abroad, the more convinced i am that going back would be the absolute right thing to do. I do have a few plans chalked out. Obviously, it would be a bit naive on my part to share with others at this point, but the time will soon come..

And ideologically speaking too, the brash, in-your-face sorta Western lifestyle is in large contradiction to my personal beliefs and values. I try to stay away from materialistic pursuits as much as i can. Even now, i use public transport as much as possible. I frequently walk a couple of miles to the local gas station just to buy a gallon of milk. I sleep on the floor, pledged never to wear a gm of gold on my body or own a house in my name. Obviously, i gotto do what i gotto do in terms of securing my financial future, but the essence of the point i am trying to make here is - the outlandish and extravagant lifestyles that we are so accustomed to seeing in the west is not my cup of tea.

So where are bouts are you now MM? In US? Im not even Indian, so RATHER impure I think its fair to say. Lived in Madras for a few years (studied in Don Bosco Egmore :--D) but came to the UK about 10 years ago. Got everyone outside my immediate family either in India or very few people in the mid East. I love it when I go back, meeting cousins etc and my grandparents. But I could never live there. I just get the fleeing ife is hard there