Time Magazine rates Sachin's Test debut Among Top 10 sporting moments

saneindian

I don't rate SRT's Debut as a big event. It is big given the career he had' date=' but the debut itself wasn't big. WTF are they talking about?[/quote'] :dito: If it was the highest number of centuries or highest runs then it was the right choice but Sachin struggled in his first few years.. perhaps Time does not know anything properly :giggle: The only reason I can find is that he was one of the youngest cricketers to have debuted :dontknow:

If nothing else it speaks of the one batsman in the modern era whose statistical brilliance merely lent weight to the greatness that shone from his bat at such an early age, unlike some anointed greats who spend a lifetime 'achieving' greatness through sheer weight of numbers.

Or like how they say it... : "And he couldn't have had a tougher induction: in Karachi, Pakistan, he faced the fearsome bowling attack of Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis (also making his debut). While his 15 runs can hardly be considered memorable, the way in which he withstood the numerous blows to his body was an instant indication that the boy was quickly becoming a man."

5. European Cup Semi-Final, AC Milan 5-0 Real Madrid Anybody wanna explain why is this regarded as a great moment as I don't watch lot of soccer. Sounds like a blowout to me. But nice to see 2 cricket sporting moments considering its time magazine and nobody gives a crap about cricket out here. No. 10 should be in place of No. 1 though. "The Shot" is overrated.

I think we cannot generalize it.. each has their own moment. some triumphs some tragedies Mine in random order 1) India coming back from 1-5 to equaly germany 5-5 in Hockey 2) 1983 world cup final 3) 1985 Benson & Hedges final 4) P.T.Usha losing bronze by 0.001 seconds 5) A Senna dies in car crash 6) Sachin's first innings as an ODI opener. ...... lot like this.

If nothing else it speaks of the one batsman in the modern era whose statistical brilliance merely lent weight to the greatness that shone from his bat at such an early age' date=' unlike some anointed greats who spend a lifetime 'achieving' greatness through sheer weight of numbers.[/quote'] Brilliantly put.

It was not chosen for just the innings, it's a tribute to his career. People are getting hung over just by runs in that innings. BTW, they mentioned the match saving 50 against Pak in that tour and that was quite awesome innings by itself. And no, SRT was quite ok during his initial years, another match saving ton in England, and two superb innings in OZ were just gems.