Batting order blunder cost us 2007 World Cup: Tendulkar

Celeste

NEW DELHI: Sachin Tendulkar rates the 2007 World Cup debacle as the worst moment of his professional career and blamed the setback on a batting order blunder. India could not make it to the Super Eight stage of the high-profile tournament in the West Indies and crashed out after defeats against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Tendulkar did not say a word on Greg Chappell, insisting he would not disclose dressing room secrets, but had no doubt that the batting order was far from perfect. "I felt our batting order was not right," said Tendulkar, who batted at number four with Robin Uthappa sent ahead of him. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Batting-order-blunder-cost-us-2007-World-Cup-Tendulkar/articleshow/5215700.cms

I don't think it was the only reason why India were sent home early, it was one of the reason for sure. Losing to BD can be excused and termed it as an "off day" or maybe we were caught napping not knowing what hit us BUT I will hold my grudge against all the Indian players for not showing up on the flattest track chasing a modest target of 250. We let the pressure get better of us and kept throwing wickets at regular intervals. We pulled the same at Mohali against Australia in the 4th ODI making the target and pitch look hard to bat on.

It would be an over simplification to say botched up batting order was the lone cause of our WC exit. Thinking back now, Ganguly should have probably never made a comeback into the ODI team. Consistent sure he was, but he scored his runs at a rate less than acceptable for ODIs, irrespective of what the match situation was. He performed handsomely in the bilateral series we played against West Indies and Sri Lanka just prior to the world cup, which probably lulled all of us into a fall sense of confidence reg. his ODI batting prowess. We also placed a lot of faith on Uthappa, but he he did not come off. And to add insult to injury, by then, Sehwag couldnt score a run to save his life and Irfan had deteriorated alarmingly, so much so that both of these key players were left out. So, more than just mis-judged batting line-up, it was also some bad selection, some key players falling off the radar and some players not coming off as well, that contributed to our demise. But more than anything else (and you'll probably never hear this from the mouth of an Indian player), it was clear as a blue sky that Guru Greg had hit rock-bottom with the team by then. Given all this, it was only expected that we got knocked out so early.

That's such an immature comment by SRT. Is he saying that he cant play at #4? Or were there other flaws in the batting order? Why did we lose 96 WC match to SL the way we did? What about in 99 losing to Zim, etc? More often than not player's performances are responsible rather than strategies. Strategy alone can contribute to maybe 5-10%.

Do you bother to read the interview or just go by other responses in the thread - or worse, just by the title? Read his comment: "I felt that the batting order was not right." How much does that statement tell you, honestly? Does it mean he's blaming that alone for the whole debacle? Can any intelligent creature extrapolate that from the quote? Also, remember that the "interview" was done by Times of India. I wouldn't be surprised if Sachin never said that. And when you make some 14000+ runs out of your career 17000 at the top of the order, and some ******* asks you to move down the order, its going to piss you off. Sachin's a nice enough guy that he never made that public during Chappell's reign. in b4 more Sachin-hate mongers.

Do you bother to read the interview or just go by other responses in the thread - or worse' date= just by the title? Read his comment: "I felt that the batting order was not right." How much does that statement tell you, honestly? Does it mean he's blaming that alone for the whole debacle? Can any intelligent creature extrapolate that from the quote? Also, remember that the "interview" was done by Times of India. I wouldn't be surprised if Sachin never said that. And when you make some 14000+ runs out of your career 17000 at the top of the order, and some ******* asks you to move down the order, its going to piss you off. Sachin's a nice enough guy that he never made that public during Chappell's reign. in b4 more Sachin-hate mongers.
Correct. Most members don't bother reading the whole thing.
in b4 more Sachin-hate mongers.
We seem to have plenty of them around. I am surprised the thread is so quiet right now, with none of the usual one-eyed folk jumping in to bleat their usual nonsense that SRT is a choker, SRT doesn't get the job done (unlike the great Yuvraj who can see a run chase through to the end), SRT fails under pressure, etc.
We seem to have plenty of them around. I am surprised the thread is so quiet right now' date=' with none of the usual one-eyed folk jumping in to bleat their usual nonsense that SRT is a choker, SRT doesn't get the job done (unlike the great Yuvraj who can see a run chase through to the end), SRT fails under pressure, etc.[/quote'] Also claiming that a middle order average of 35 is greater than an opener averaging 44 over a span of 15 years.