Batting order blunder cost us 2007 World Cup: Tendulkar

Celeste

Do you bother to read the interview or just go by other responses in the thread - or worse, just by the title? Read his comment: "I felt that the batting order was not right." How much does that statement tell you, honestly? Does it mean he's blaming that alone for the whole debacle? Can any intelligent creature extrapolate that from the quote? Also, remember that the "interview" was done by Times of India. I wouldn't be surprised if Sachin never said that. And when you make some 14000+ runs out of your career 17000 at the top of the order, and some ******* asks you to move down the order, its going to piss you off. Sachin's a nice enough guy that he never made that public during Chappell's reign. in b4 more Sachin-hate mongers.
"It was a big tournament and we had a fantastic team. Everything looked well set but I felt our batting order was not right. This was one of the reasons (behind India's early ouster)" Maybe he never said it. But I am going by what's written in the article. It's a very stupid thing to say when he himself didn't score runs. Tomorrow, somebody can come and say "the 99 Aus tour debacle was the lowest point in their career. And some of the on-field strategies such as giving more overs to part-timers was one of the reasons". How would that sound? Why open a can of worms?
"It was a big tournament and we had a fantastic team. Everything looked well set but I felt our batting order was not right. This was one of the reasons (behind India's early ouster)" Maybe he never said it. But I am going by what's written in the article.
Ok...
It's a very stupid thing to say when he himself didn't score runs.
:WTF: :WTF: :WTF:
Tomorrow, somebody can come and say "the 99 Aus tour debacle was the lowest point in their career. And some of the on-field strategies such as giving more overs to part-timers was one of the reasons". How would that sound? Why open a can of worms?
Um, people have said that before, and its done nothing. In fact, it had come to a position where Sachin recalled all those criticisms in an interview recently (about 2 years ago, right after we came back from England, IIRC).
Tomorrow, somebody can come and say "the 99 Aus tour debacle was the lowest point in their career. And some of the on-field strategies such as giving more overs to part-timers was one of the reasons". How would that sound? Why open a can of worms?
India lost to zimbabwe from a winning position. And ofcourse Sir Aggy decided to produce his best that day 10 overs 70 runs :--D
Ok... :WTF: :WTF: :WTF:
Can you elaborate?
Um, people have said that before, and its done nothing. In fact, it had come to a position where Sachin recalled all those criticisms in an interview recently (about 2 years ago, right after we came back from England, IIRC).
It's different when one of the team members says that. Commentators, journalists are paid to criticize and create controversies.
Can you elaborate?
Sorry, I was just responding to your statements, one said "maybe he didn't say that." and immediately you were still criticizing him for "what a stupid thing to say." I guess I saw a little bit of contradiction there.
It's different when one of the team members says that. Commentators, journalists are paid to criticize and create controversies.
I dont know if you've heard/read this news, but when Tendulkar was made captain before (I think sometime in 1996), Azhar had openly commented in the media (or to other teammates) that Tendulkar would NOT succeed as a captain. Imagine hearing that - from a former captain, when you've been made captain at a young age of 23 or 24 years. And which team mate did Tendulkar openly criticize in his alleged comment?
Sorry, I was just responding to your statements, one said "maybe he didn't say that." and immediately you were still criticizing him for "what a stupid thing to say." I guess I saw a little bit of contradiction there. I dont know if you've heard/read this news, but when Tendulkar was made captain before (I think sometime in 1996), Azhar had openly commented in the media (or to other teammates) that Tendulkar would NOT succeed as a captain. Imagine hearing that - from a former captain, when you've been made captain at a young age of 23 or 24 years. And which team mate did Tendulkar openly criticize in his alleged comment?
If he didnt say that then of course I take back my comments. I didnt know that Times is unreliable. If I were the BCCI, I'd have suspended Azhar for a series or so for saying that. That's obviously an even worse thing to say. I never said SRT criticized any team mate. I am saying one of the team members shouldn't be putting blame on some strategy or such in the media. Discuss it with the captain/coach or maybe even the selectors/board if you have a problem with the coach. One of the primary reasons Chappell was removed was because he couldn't keep quiet. Dont start the war of words again. Let bygones be bygones.

Worst mistake was playing two home series against WI and SL on absolute pata wickets as the preparation for world cup. We knew the pitches in WI were going to be low and slow and therefore we should have played on similar kind of wickets after the disastrous tour of SA. Having said that, losing to BD was unacceptable and we surely didnt deserve to go through after that loss.