Indian Board President's XI v Sri Lankans at Mumbai, Nov 11-13, 2009

Feed

Rohit Sharma will captain the Board President's XI against the visiting Sri Lankans in a three-day tour opener to be played in Mumbai from November 11 to 13. More... Sri Lanka in India 2009-10 Rohit to lead Board President's XI against Sri Lanka Cricinfo staff October 28, 2009 After being dropped from India's limited-overs squads, Rohit Sharma has a chance to impress Rohit Sharma will captain the Board President's XI against the visiting Sri Lankans in a three-day tour opener to be played in Mumbai from November 11 to 13. The 14-man squad, announced by the selectors in Nagpur today, also includes Robin Uthappa who was named vice-captain after an impressive showing in the Champions League Twenty20. "We have made a conscious decision to make sure that we have given lot of opportunities to everybody; lot of new faces, new comers, and some cricketers who have been around but are now out, to redeem themselves," Kris Srikkanth, India's chairman of selectors, said. "We are trying to get new faces. People who we have seen or are absolute certainties, we didn't want to pick. We wanted everybody to prove themselves, that's the idea of the Board President's XI." Rohit was dropped from India's one-day squad for the tri-series in Sri Lanka and the Champions Trophy in South Africa. He was in indifferent form during the one-day series in the West Indies in June-July, scoring just 15 runs in four matches. Rohit, Uthappa, Piyush Chawla, and Pragyan Ojha are among the ones who need to "redeem themselves". Apart from Rohit and Uthappa, two consistent performers in domestic cricket, Abhinav Mukund and Ajinkya Rahane, make the core of the batting order alongside Manoj Tiwary. Abhishek Nayar, discarded from India's ODI team, comes in as the allrounder. The spin of Chawla and Ojha is backed up by the pace of Dhawal Kulkarni, Ashok Dinda, Pradeep Sangwan and Pankaj Singh. Board President's XI: Rohit Sharma (capt), Robin Uthappa, Abhinav Mukund, Ajinkya Rahane, Manoj Tiwary, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Piyush Chawla, Pragyan Ojha, Pradeep Sangwan, Dhawal Kulkarni, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Abhishek Nayar, Ishank Jaggi.

Not happy at all at this BP XI squad? Is this our A team? Is this the bowling line-up we have in reserve? It is true that ODIs will conclude on 11th Nov and this match will start on the same day but they could have easily delayed it for a day so that Raina, Kohli and other bowlers could participate. Piyush Chawla, Pragyan Ojha, Pradeep Sangwan, Dhawal Kulkarni, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Abhishek Nayar, Ishant Jaggi : This bowling line up will give the Lankans a head star which won't be good for India. Is Irfan still injured? Has Pujara not recovered as yet? Uthappa and Mukund are our second best openers in longer version? Why was Dhawan not included? He is certainly better than Uthappa! And Saha? Why on earth was Karthik not included here?Sreesanth? He should have been given a chance after doing so well in Irani trophy. This is a terrible squad and I'm afraid that this selection committee is not at all clear about the future replacements!

The BCCI announced that the same Indian squad will be retained for the next two ODIs of the seven-match series against Australia. National selection panel chairman Krishnamachari Srikkanth announced after India's 99-run victory in the second one-dayer that the same squad will play in Delhi (October 31) and Mohali (November 2). "We have decided to retain the same squad for the next two ODIs in Delhi and Mohali," Srikkanth said in the presence of BCCI joint secretary Sanjay Jagdale. The two teams are tied 1-1 in the series after Australia won by a narrow four runs at Vadodara in the first match on Sunday. The selection committee also announced a 14-member Board President's XI squad led by Rohit Sharma for the three-day match against visiting Sri Lanka to be played in Mumbai from November 11-13. The Squad: Rohit Sharma (captain), Robin Uthappa (vice-captain), Abhinav Mukund, Ajinkya Rahane, Manoj Tiwari, Wriddhiman Saha (wk), Piyush Chawla, Pragyan Ojha, Pradeep Sangwan, Dhawal Kulkarni, Ashok Dinda, Pankaj Singh, Abhishek Nayar, Ishant Jaggi.
lol

Yeah Chandan. Thats a pants BP XI ROBIN UTHAPPA is not international class. Why dont they go for people who actually have a remote chance of playing test cricket Didnt realise they finish the ODIs and this match starts on the same day- that is ridiculously poor planning. dosent allow fringe players to stake their claim in the test squad Do Sri lanka play an India A side as well apart from the BP Team? If not I cant understand the absence of Raina, Dhawan or Kohli as you say. Not sure about Pujaras fitness also. How about Badri and Vijay (whos been batting pretty well)? Im guessing they might well make the test squad but they will not play if the first choice is fit and they could have got a chance to face international bowlers in this match. Parthiv Patel- is his international career over? Mukunds form has been good, good to see Rohit and Rahane there too. The bowling is ok- it is our second string. (Jaggi btw is a batter) Just a bit daft that Santh was playing for ROI but not in this team- while people like Dinda -who is ok, but test class?- make the cut. And Tyagi could have been there- how many of the ODIs will he play, if ANY? Those are the only two changes Id make on the bowling front. My IDEAL A team: Pujara, Vijay, Badrinath, Raina, Kaif©, Irfan, Parthiv, Piyush, Ojha/R Ashwin, Tyagi, Santh

'lol' is correct. Thats a pants BP XI ROBIN UTHAPPA is not international class. Why dont they go for people who actually have a remote chance of playing test cricket Do Sri lanka play an India A side as well? If not I cant understand the absence of Raina, Dhawan or indeed Kohli. Im guessing Badri and Vijay might well make the test squad
to one day kaun khelega

Don't know what BCCI are thinking. Is the BP XI supposed to be the best reserves available?

Kris Srikkanth, India's chairman of selectors, said. "We are trying to get new faces. People who we have seen or are absolute certainties, we didn't want to pick. We wanted everybody to prove themselves, that's the idea of the Board President's XI."
Thats fair enough, but as Chandan suggested, people like Irfan, Sreesanth aren't really certainties, these are the guys that should have been made to prove themselves.

If the idea was to try out new faces then this bowling selection does not makes sense. Dhawal Kulkarni, Ashok Dinda are Pankaj Singh not good enough for international cricket. Dhawal and Pankaj are 120-130 kph bowlers. Dinda can touch 140 in short bursts but bowls too short and erratic to be at top level. They should have used this opportunity to test some quick rookies- Umesh, R.Suthesh (looked good last yr mid to late 130s and good bounce), etc. BTW: Any news on whereabouts of Kamran Khan!! Is he going to play Ranji ..havent seen his name in any squad yet :pray:

Kamran Khan chucks unfortunately. I dont know if theyve sorted that out. Dhawal and Pankaj have been out better domestic pacement over the last few years. They may not be international class, but they have earned the right to be in the A teams I agree with Umesh though, he would have been an interesting pick.

Don't know what BCCI are thinking. Is the BP XI supposed to be the best reserves available? Thats fair enough, but as Chandan suggested, people like Irfan, Sreesanth aren't really certainties, these are the guys that should have been made to prove themselves.
Irfan was injured i think. He did not play 20-20 trophy too.

To be frank, I don't know how this selection works. in Irani trophy game which can be also termed as Best vs Rest of India, there was Sreesanth. Now here in this board president x1 game we fail to see his name. Also what is Abhishek Nayar doing in this 3 day match squad. I don't think he is good for test cricket rite now.

For all the people pointing about Sreesanth, Irfan etc. please check the following:

Kris Srikkanth, India's chairman of selectors, said. "We are trying to get new faces. People who we have seen or are absolute certainties, we didn't want to pick. We wanted everybody to prove themselves, that's the idea of the Board President's XI."
For all the people pointing about Sreesanth' date=' Irfan etc. please check the following:[/quote'] but then that doesn't justify the selection. Because most of those batsman have already been given chanec. I know they can't leave everyone out, but to keep a bowler like Sreesanth out who is coming from Injury, I believe the more games he play the better
but then that doesn't justify the selection. Because most of those batsman have already been given chanec. I know they can't leave everyone out' date=' but to keep a bowler like Sreesanth out who is coming from Injury, I believe the more games he play the better[/quote'] I agree. But maybe Sree's non-inclusion might also be due to the warning from KCA. :dontknow: