5 slips

bunny

Whatever India scores I'd like us to keep 5 slips in place (or 4 slips + gully) for the first 20 overs. The only way to win this match is to get 4-5 wickets with the new ball (hoping I am proven wrong). What do you guys think? What should be India's strategy? Who do you think will come out on top? Zak, Ishant, Bhajji, Mishra, part-timer or SL?

5 slips?? LOL, did you slip your brain somewhere?
a 7-2 field with one fine leg, short-leg, 3 slips, a couple of gullies, mid-off and point was quite common in yesteryears. Today, bowlers like to set defensive fields. There are both pros and cons of that. Imho, we should go for an attacking field. It might backfire but what is a captain who doesnt gamble?
spin will be crucial.for pacers i would like them to do wat Welegedera did this morningi.e.attack the stumps.Apart from Dilshan' date='i dont see any batsman hitting the ball to even 2nd slip.it wont carry.[/quote'] Keep slips much close to the stumps then?
:laugh: 5 slips on this pitch!! Nothing wrong in having 5 attacking fielders but placing 5 slips on this wicket with hardly any lateral movement and low bounce is lulzolla!
From what experience I have of playing and watching cricket, the ball will carry to the 5th slip even if there's no lateral movement. The batsman just has to make an error in judgement or execution. (You need a little bit of bounce for that but if there isn't you compensate by having slips really close by). That said you need the bowlers to bowl to a plan, and if they aren't, it can backfire. But, it's a test and one can always grab control of the match by being defensive/negative later.

At least for the opening burst with Zak and Ishant, we should have three slips and two gullies. But my fear is that with someone like Dilshan around, Lanka could easily be 50/0 in 10 overs, which will make retaining these attacking fielding positions that much harder. But we should have a third-man from the get-go, even if it means leaving the mid-on region vacant.

this is the best field setting for sloggers... a few mishits can get them easy fours.. its unbelievable that the captain would put all his fielders in the slip position... how can anyone be so confident .. hats off to those captains
It's not confidence, it's arrogance. It's an attempt at ridiculing a weaker opposition.

5 slips wont help in this pitch. We do need to attack in the initial overs, but also like MM says we have to set the field taking into account the pitch and the batsman. For someone like Dilshan, sometimes restricting him will mean he will commit a mistake and give his wicket. Anyway - it is important that bowlers (esp. Ishant!) have a plan and stick to it! And, fielders - please, please, take the catches. It will be heartbreaking for bowlers if our fielding is not fully supporting them.

this is the best field setting for sloggers... a few mishits can get them easy fours.. its unbelievable that the captain would put all his fielders in the slip position... how can anyone be so confident .. hats off to those captains
actually hats off to those bowlers! :yes: A bowler would require immense amount of control over his line and length to cope with such field placement:omg: