Test openers

dial_100

Test openers  

1. 1.

• Steady openers, technically very very sound, know entirely what test cricket is.
    • Steady openers, technically reasonable.
    • Agressive openers, we have strong middle order. no worries if we lose 'em early.
    • Dont care, we will win test matches with the current players.

Which type of test openers would you want to see. Traditonally, playing out a morning/first session was considered the first goal of every test match innings. and not how best shots you can play first ball up. Our currently lot looks very aggressive and they try to go after the bowlers from the word go. Which type of opening you would like India to promote.

We will. These days, it is hard to see dravids kind of players. Especially if we find one as an opener, with GG, I would be happier. I am more worried about times when RD, VVS and SRT retire. We will have these aggressive bunch will be left for our test team. Any body misses player like Akash Chopra?? a real steady player. who can play first 2 sessions w/o worrying about whether he gets 30 or 40 on board.

We will. These days' date= it is hard to see dravids kind of players. Especially if we find one as an opener, with GG, I would be happier. I am more worried about times when RD, VVS and SRT retire. We will have these aggressive bunch will be left for our test team. Any body misses player like Akash Chopra?? a real steady player. who can play first 2 sessions w/o worrying about whether he gets 30 or 40 on board.
Dravid has never been an opener and has NEVER shown willingness to open...so wtf are you talking about ?
Dravid has never been an opener and has NEVER shown willingness to open...so wtf are you talking about ?
What I am saying is we need an opener as technically sound as dravid. Trust me, teams with best openers more often win/defend test matches than other teams. Aggression in the first overs of the game leads us no where because we are talking of 5 long days of cricket. Thats my point. We get too cocky about VS/SRT these days. But too me, Sehwag will work wonders in the position of SRT or right after him. He will be just the same wherever you put him. If you guys remember he played his first game 5 down. He made 50+ just the way he does as an opener. So what is the point of having aggression first up?. Besides consistency with average is missing in VS. As an opener we always want it those steady 30-40 occassion 100+. And to back them we have RD 3 down. I will probably keep GG but push VS to 5 down.
Problem with chopra like player is he wll score 30 or 40. That's it. He won't score 300s' date=' 200s. Without Sehwag India could not have dominated Pakistan in Tests in this decade.[/quote'] Which 200s and 300s are you talking about man? In last entire year (12 months) his highest score has been 86. Here are the series of scores in last 11 innings 9, 83, 0, 17, 24, DNB, 34, 22, 48, 12, 16. His career best average of 26. If you take his last 2 years and skip 3 best innings, you are left with average of 31 in 30 innings. So big innings are not consistent. So he will play just the same no matter which position he plays.
Which 200s and 300s are you talking about man? In last entire year (12 months) his highest score has been 86. Here are the series of scores in last 11 innings 9' date=' 83, 0, 17, 24, DNB, 34, 22, 48, 12, 16. His career best average of 26. If you take his last 2 years and skip 3 best innings, you are left with average of 31 in 30 innings. So big innings are not consistent. So he will play just the same no matter which position he plays.[/quote'] Dravid's record as opener is only 35. If you take couple of centuries on patta pitches that will come down to 29.
Is there any opener in world cricket as sound as Dravid ? Why do you think Dravid doesn't open ?
Dravid's record as opener is only 35. If you take couple of centuries on patta pitches that will come down to 29.
What dial is saying is not Dravid, but an opener with a style similar to Dravid, perhaps Vijay or someone else. Dravid not succeeding as an opener has little to do with his technique, but his make of mind not being that of an opener.
Is there any opener in world cricket as sound as Dravid ? Why do you think Dravid doesn't open ?
Khote.. the thing is even we know that Atul Sharma doesn't exist but we need one ... Even if not as good as RD, the one who plays and develops a steady innings as an opener is desirable.

If you look at someone like langer who isnt an opener but did so well there, he technically speaking is miles behind Dravid. Its all in the mind as Outsider says. Ive read once Gavaskar saying that coming out when the score is 0/0 requires something else. Its not even the whole 'playing the new ball' part, which im sure Dravid can more than handle. Cheteshwar Pujara seems like the next technically sound-ish type guy who can open. Viajy too seems fairly solid and a good strokeplayer too. I think Dial has a point. Sehwag has great purple patches but in a way someone to grind out and lay a foundation- even a slow 60-80 runs stand at the top, but on a resonably regular basis... And Sehwag at 5 is the way to go long term, lets face it as he goes wrong side of 30 his eyes and reflexes will slow and the new/moving ball might be less friendly. ...of course thatll mean dropping Yuvraj. Or asking Laxman to retire...

sehwag and gambhir are fine, but sehwag really really needs to use some brain while batting. He did the stupid thing in NZ, and now has done it again in 2nd Inn at Ahmedabad. Aggressive is ok, but does he have to be stupid? He had so many lives -edges, risky shots, then very risky singles...and what does he do after tea in 1st over -attempt a slog shot :((