Predict the result - 1st test

Predict the result - 1st test  

1. 1.

I think India will lose - they'll need to bat out at least 140 overs from here on to ensure a draw. That's a huge ask against Murali.
That was quick shwetabh :D From Predict India's 1st Inn lead yesterday to Ind will lose :D Yes, on the poll, I agree. SL bowlers will be dangerous in 2nd Inn, and unless everyone bats like they did in NZ to save the Test - very tough ask, and I see SL recording a historic first Test win on Indian soil :((

I don't know what the result will be but I have no problem saying India deserve to lose. Not because of the players, the effort, or even selection, but because of the excuse of a pitch that is allowed to be used for test cricket. Team India, effectively, have a shotgun but are loading it up with blanks against other teams. We've got two bowlers in Zaheer and Ishant, who ONLY A YEAR ago were thought of as one of the best new ball bowlers in the world. So what support do the curators give them? Lifeless pitches with no seam or pace/bounce. It's like asking thoroughbred horses to race on loose gravel. We have a bowler in Zaheer who can not only swing the ball both ways without the batsmen being able to detect the direction of the swing, but who can effectively seam the damn ball also. And another classic test bowler who can dismiss batsmen purely on his natural bounce in Ishant who's also far more consistent than what he should be at his age. But instead of using their talents to their full ability, the pitch relegates them to harmless medium pacers. Anyone remember the ODI series against Lanka last year? Zaheer was king in that series with the ball taking 4-21 in one match just because the pitch was seaming. I've heard Indian fans routinely claim that we've got the best batsmen in the world. So what are we afraid of? Are we afraid that these guys can't handle a bit of bounce/pace and seam? Pretty soon Zaheer will be too old and gone, Ishant will continue to struggle on these flat pitches and continue to pick up injuries having to bowl 30-40 overs in an innings. Then I guess, it won't matter.

I don't know what the result will be but I have no problem saying India deserve to lose. Not because of the players, the effort, or even selection, but because of the excuse of a pitch that is allowed to be used for test cricket. I've heard Indian fans routinely claim that we've got the best batsmen in the world. So what are we afraid of? Are we afraid that these guys can't handle a bit of bounce/pace and seam?
In fact, if they do lose we might see some better wickets in the remaining two tests. We've routinely been winning tests in bowling friendly conditions - Nottingham, Perth, Hamilton etc. etc. Our batsmen are good enough to give decent totals there and our bowling attack just goes up to a different level. On these kind of pattas even the likes of Ryder and Dilshan become tigers and pile on the misery.
In fact, if they do lose we might see some better wickets in the remaining two tests. We've routinely been winning tests in bowling friendly conditions - Nottingham, Perth, Hamilton etc. etc. Our batsmen are good enough to give decent totals there and our bowling attack just goes up to a different level. On these kind of pattas even the likes of Ryder and Dilshan become tigers and pile on the misery.
EXACTLY. But I don't hold out any hope for better/more competitive wickets. About the only thing remembered in India from the last time SA toured here, mostly is Sehwag's triple ton. Not the fact that the pitch was an embarressment and South African batsmen scored centuries there as well.

If this had been the team of 90s, I would have almost certainly thrown in the towel by now and conceded defeat. But this team is different. I think they have what it takes to save this match. But a lot depends on what happens tomorrow morning. If Lanka decides to bat one more hour and take the lead past 200, that might actually work in favor of us, especially since that would have robbed the Lankan new ball bowlers their best chance to snag a few early wickets. On the other hand, If Lanka decide to get aggressive and declare first thing in the morning, which I think they will do, a lot will depend on our first 20-25 overs. If we lose 2,3 early wickets, that is essentially the end of our challenge in this game.

If this had been the team of 90s, I would have almost certainly thrown in the towel by now and conceded defeat. But this team is different. I think they have what it takes to save this match. But a lot depends on what happens tomorrow morning. If Lanka decides to bat one more hour and take the lead past 200, that might actually work in favor of us, especially since that would have robbed the Lankan new ball bowlers their best chance to snag a few early wickets. On the other hand, If Lanka decide to get aggressive and declare first thing in the morning, which I think they will do, a lot will depend on our first 20-25 overs. If we lose 2,3 early wickets, that is essentially the end of our challenge in this game.
WHat BS. The India-SA test in Amdavad in 2008 was a different team? They folded over for 76 and lost the test by a innings. The same is going to happen here too. SL will bat till they go all out. Why do they want to declare and be in a position to bat again on D5 pitch.
WHat BS. The India-SA test in Amdavad in 2008 was a different team? They folded over for 76 and lost the test by a innings. The same is going to happen here too. SL will bat till they go all out. Why do they want to declare and be in a position to bat again on D5 pitch.
Yea right, pick an isolated incident to take pot-shots and pass sweeping judgments. How about this for another example - http://www.cricinfo.com/nzvind2009/engine/match/386496.html Facing a deficit of more than 300, with nearly 7 sessions to go, we batted nearly 2 days for the loss of just 4 wickets.
Yea right' date=' pick an isolated incident to [b'] take pot-shots and pass sweeping judgments. How about this for another example - http://www.cricinfo.com/nzvind2009/engine/match/386496.html Facing a deficit of more than 300, with nearly 7 sessions to go, we batted nearly 2 days for the loss of just 4 wickets.
That is exactly what you did about the 90s team. http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63745.html Last 5 wkts scoring 200 runs and saving a test abroad. http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63827.html Last 3 wkts scoring more than 200 runs and saving a test abroad.