2009 : Pujara back with a bang

Feed

In an innings reminiscent of his monumental last season -- in which he scored more than 1,000 first class runs including a triple hundred -- Pujara showed that his appetite for runs remained. More... Pujara back with a bang Sandeep Dwivedi Posted: Thursday , Nov 19, 2009 at 0056 hrs Cheteshwar Pujara’s six months injury break from cricket, due to a freak fall in April, forced him to miss two major T20 tournaments — the IPL for Kolkata Knight Riders and the Mushtaq Ali Trophy for Saurashtra. Before his comeback, Pujara had spoken about the trauma of uncertainty. But after his 203 not out on Day Two of the Ranji match against Maharashtra, he saw the silver lining. In an innings reminiscent of his monumental last season -- in which he scored more than 1,000 first class runs including a triple hundred -- Pujara showed that his appetite for runs remained. Showcasing a pristine brand of cricket that wasn’t corrupted by cross-batted swipes or hoicks, his seven-and-a-half hour effort allowed Saurashtra to declare their first innings at 544/3. Pujara complained of slight fatigue at the end, but was quick to add that his power of concentration have to become better. “In hindsight, the break has worked well for me. Sometimes when you take your mind away from the game, it helps. Once you return, there is a freshness about the things that you did routinely in the past,” he said. Long walks at the Railways ground where he took baby steps into serious cricket and frequent trips to weekend getaways around Rajkot consumed most of Pujara's time during his rehab. He watched cricket only during his visit to the National Cricket Academy, where he killed time in the evenings in front of the TV. “I utilised the time to do things that I didn’t get to do when I was playing. I went to a small ashram on the bank of river Narmada near Vadodara to be with myself. Those peaceful surroundings helped my mind to rest,” he said. Though he seemed to be hitting the ball well during the nets in the lead up to his first competitive game in six months, doubts remained if he was ready for match-play. “I hit a couple of shots from the middle of my bat early in the innings and everything seemed like old. Not for a minute did I think that I was out of the game.” Pujara started on Wednesday at 52, with the match situation demanding he step on the pedal. But never during his 309-balls stay did he feel the need to bend the coaching manual. He did hit 22 fours and one six but not one hit had the uncalled- for urgency of those in the T20 mode. He dedicated the knock to his father Arvind Pujara. Brief scores: Saurashtra 544/3 dec in 160 overs (C Pujara 204 not out, R Jadeja 122 not out, S Kotak 103); Maharashtra 53/1 in 18 overs (R Bhosale batting 25)

Good on him but he will struggle to break into the Indian side what with most batsmen having secured their spots. I guess he will have to wait a couple of years before he could get in the Indian team. Perhaps they could look at him as a potential prospect and play him in ODIs so that his efforts in domestic cricket does not go unrewarded. There are a few ODI players that could make way for this bloke.

Break has made me hungrier: Pujara At a time when youngsters in Indian cricket are hooked on to the concept of T20, which coaches in the domestic circuit feel is fast becoming a deterrent to developing players who put a price on their wicket, a batsman like Cheteshwar Pujara is an exception, reports Nilankur Das. More... Break has made me hungrier: Pujara Nilankur Das, Hindustan Times Kolkata, November 22, 2009 First Published: 00:05 IST(22/11/2009) Last Updated: 00:06 IST(22/11/2009) At a time when youngsters in Indian cricket are hooked on to the concept of T20, which coaches in the domestic circuit feel is fast becoming a deterrent to developing players who put a price on their wicket, a batsman like Cheteshwar Pujara is an exception. The 20-year-old, in his four-year domestic career, has established himself as one of the most reliable middle-order batsmen with close to 3000 runs. With three of India's best nearing retirement, the names of Murali Vijay, S. Badrinath, Dinesh Karthik, Suresh Raina, Manoj Tiwary and Rohit Sharma, all of whom have represented India either in Tests or one-dayers, are tipped to fill in the huge boots. Pujara's name was temporarily pushed back after he picked up an injury during a practice match for the Kolkata Knight Riders in South Africa in April. He underwent an anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery, which kept him out of action for close to seven months. "I could not play cricket but I think the break helped keep my mind fresh. Just after middling the first two deliveries against Maharashtra, I felt confident and my hunger for runs came back," Pujara, told HT after landing here for Saurashtra’s Ranji Trophy match against Bengal.

there is something special abt him he's got it in him to make the cut, and do well for the country his consistency is remarkable a comeback with a double, it couldn't have been better my only fear is the selectors' ; they have overlooked him when he was in prime form, last year hope it doesn't happen to him again

With a test tour to Bangaldesh coming up, it gives us a perfect opportunity to try out younger batsmen and give them a feeling of test cricket. I hope guys like Pujara, Vijay, Badri etc get selected for the BD tour. I am sure our young team of Gambhir, Sehwag, Vijay, Pujara, Badri, Yuvi, DK, Irfan, Mishra, Ojha, Sreesanth with Raina, Chawla and Tyagi in reserves can easily beat the BD test team.

With a test tour to Bangaldesh coming up, it gives us a perfect opportunity to try out younger batsmen and give them a feeling of test cricket. I hope guys like Pujara, Vijay, Badri etc get selected for the BD tour. I am sure our young team of Gambhir, Sehwag, Vijay, Pujara, Badri, Yuvi, DK, Irfan, Mishra, Ojha, Sreesanth with Raina, Chawla and Tyagi in reserves can easily beat the BD test team.
this is a great team
:hmmm: