Sangakkara: Lara was better than Tendulkar

Andy

Speaking at a press conference in Ahmedabad on Saturday, before the first Test between India and Sri Lanka begins on Monday at the Sardar Patel Stadium in Motera, Sangakkara said: "Sachin Tendulkar is a great batsman. Can anyone doubt it? Whoever plays international cricket for 20 years has to be a special player. It's been a privilege playing against him. His records will tell you that he is a phenomenal player, but in my opinion Lara was a better batsman." Super Selector: Stage 2 is about to commence with new game rules and transfer deadlines, Start picking your 11 and win Great Prizes! "It is true Tendulkar has a better technique than Lara. But watching Lara bat was a sheer joy and nobody played Murali (Muttiah Muralitharan) as well as he did. He scored a lot of runs against us, which the other batsmen have not been able to do," said the wicketkeeper-batsman. Reacting to former Australian great Ian Chappell's recent comments that Tendulkar was no more the world's best batsman and Ricky Ponting is the new king, Sangakkara said, "Did he say so? Well, if he did, then it is entirely his opinion. That is not discounting the amount of runs and centuries Tendulkar has made." Sachin in pics Sangakkara also praised Ponting and tipped him to overtake Tendulkar's Test centuries. "The way Ponting has been playing, it is very likely that he will overtake Tendulkar in Test centuries," he said. ========================================================== http://www.espnstar.com/home/news/detail/item353365/%22Lara-was-better-than-Tendulkar%22/

To be honest, I don't mind anyone choosing Lara over Sachin because there was very little to separate them. You can quite easily make a case for either one. And because of the mutual respect between the two, you don't often see too much animosity between Lara and Sachin fans which you do see when :punter: is brought in the picture. It's quite simply a matter of choice. I am going to use some tired analogies here to explain the two. Someone somewhere put it quite aptly. Lara's batting was like playing the lottery with your savings. Incredible highs or incredible lows. Sachin's batting is like your monthly salary with the odd bonus here and there. Reliable and robust. Watching Lara script an innings was akin to an eccentric genius painter splashing random and seemingly inappropriate colours on a canvas but the end result of was unexpectedly and breathtakingly perfect . Watching Tendulkar bat is like the gentle, smooth brushes of an accomplished artist who carefully takes time to conjure a beautiful image which as expected, turns out to be another masterpiece.

To be honest, I don't mind anyone choosing Lara over Sachin because there was very little to separate them. You can quite easily make a case for either one. And because of the mutual respect between the two, you don't often see too much animosity between Lara and Sachin fans which you do see when :punter: is brought in the picture. It's quite simply a matter of choice. I am going to use some tired analogies here to explain the two. Someone somewhere put it quite aptly. Lara batting was like playing the lottery with your savings. Incredible highs or incredible lows. Sachin batting is like your monthly salary. Reliable and robust. Watching Lara script an innings was akin to an eccentric genius painter splashing random and seemingly inappropriate colours on a canvas but the end result of was unexpectedly and breathtakingly perfect . Watching Tendulkar bat is like the gentle, smooth brushes of an accomplished artist who carefully takes time to conjure a beautiful image which as expected, turns out to be another masterpiece.
Top notch Gambit.

tbh ponting is serverly out of form he fail so many times to get his next hundred in test but each he fails and fails :sniffle: ......and while he fails sachin is scoring centries after centuries.i hope ponting regains his forms soon and take over sachin :dance: and coming over to lara i have never ever seen him playing....

tbh ponting is serverly out of form he fail so many times to get his next hundred in test but each he fails and fails :sniffle: ......and while he fails sachin is scoring centries after centuries.i hope ponting regains his forms soon and take over sachin :dance: and coming over to lara i have never ever seen him playing....
Don't worry, once your bowlers get to Aus, he'll automatically regain form
ponting is warming up against roach and co and scoring pickles. he will show his class against minnows like pak and nz

I think too many people don't recognise Ponting for the giant of a batsman that he is, I think Ponting can easily be put into the same group of batsmen as Richard, Tendulkar and Lara. I'm not going to comment on the Lara vs Tendulkar argument as it's so boring to repeat something for the umpteenth time.

I think too many people don't recognise Ponting for the giant of a batsman that he is, I think Ponting can easily be put into the same group of batsmen as Richard, Tendulkar and Lara.
You're right - that's why Pakistan's adopted son could not find a spot even in an all time Australian XI selected by cricinfo panelists.