Kotla ka Ghosla : The pitch-farce

Cricketics

Ferozeshah Kotla chief curator Vijay Bahadur Mishra on Tuesday said the pitch for the upcoming fifth One-day International (ODI) between India and Sri Lanka would produce lots of runs, and would behave much better than it did during the ODI against Australia in October
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: UNNY! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Off cricinfo- seems like this aint delhis fault after all. The curators, both at the ground and the BCCI's head of pitches committee Daljit Singh, have on more than one occasion said that this is a freshly relaid pitch and will take time to settle in. Despite that, the ground hosted the Champions League T20 on low and slow tracks, and an ODI between India and Australia in October. The BCCI will be left ruing the decision of having hosted two international matches on a dodgy pitch, within two months of each other.

BCCI dissolves ground and pitches committee The Indian board (BCCI) has disbanded its ground and pitches committee with immediate effect. The BCCI was faced with an embarrassing situation after the fifth and final ODI between India and Sri Lanka at Delhi's Feroz Shah Kotla was abandoned after 23.3 overs due to a dangerous pitch. Former captains swiftly reacted with shock and dismay at the dangerous pitch prepared by the Delhi & Districts Cricket Association (DDCA), while former Indian batsman Sanjay Manjrekar told Cricinfo that Delhi should be blacklisted as an international venue. The ground and pitches committee was headed by Daljit Singh, who was present in Delhi as the controversy unfolded. Along with various DDCA bigwigs, the on-field umpires and match referee Alan Hurst, Dalji inspected the unfit strip as well as an adjacent strip after play had been stopped. A decision to abandon the game was taken approximately an hour and ten minutes after another delivery spat up from an awkward spot on one of the dicey patches of the strip. More to follow ...

Kotla will now lose 2011 World Cup hosting rights. As per the ICC’s Code of Conduct, after the first occasion of a venue producing a pitch unfit for play the immediate punishment is, “A suspension of the venue’s international status for a period of between 12 and 24 months together with a directive for appropriate remedial action and the need for prior ICC re-accreditation as an international venue.”

Kotla will now lose 2011 World Cup hosting rights. As per the ICC’s Code of Conduct, after the first occasion of a venue producing a pitch unfit for play the immediate punishment is, “A suspension of the venue’s international status for a period of between 12 and 24 months together with a directive for appropriate remedial action and the need for prior ICC re-accreditation as an international venue.”
Will be appropriate punishment. The Delhi cricket board needs some kicks on the back side.

We Are Sorry; Congratulations Sri Lanka Revisiting the infamous crowd incident at the Eden Gardens during the 1996 WC semi-finals.... ------------------------------------------------- Whilst going through the schedule of the forthcoming cricket tour to India by Sri Lanka, I note that on Christmas Eve the Sri Lankans are scheduled to play the 4th ODI at Kolkata. It reminds me of that gentlemanly spectator at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens, Anirvan Maity who was once introduced by the Indian press as “Calcutta’s Saving grace.” For millions of cricket lovers Anirvan was the Man of the Match of the 1996 World Cup semi final played at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens. Visualise the scenario. Semi-final match of the World Cup cricket tourney between India and Sri Lanka. Batting first Sri Lanka scored 251 for 8. In their turn, India, at one stage on 98 for 1, struggled to stay in touch with the target and lost further seven wickets for the addition of only 22 runs when a tense situation spread amongst the one hundred thousand something spectators. Then suddenly all hell broke loose; it was a devil of a nightmare. Bottles and stones started flying into the playing field and bundles of paper were set on fire in the stands. It appeared that most of the spectators were not willing to see their country being eliminated from the tournament. Clive Lloyd, the match referee walked in to the field but the situation remained uncontrollable. And then the match was abandoned and awarded to the Sri Lanka team. During this devil’s hour, there appeared a slim youngster from the stands with a banner in hand, which read “We are sorry; congratulation(s) Sri Lanka”. Television viewers all over the world were stunned by this heroic yet face-saving act by this spectator who had the courage to stand high amongst his countrymen and apologise for his city folks’ rank misbehaviour. He was shown again and again on TV screen thus giving wide publicity to his effort. For a couple of weeks media talked about this sporty spectator amongst an unruly crowd and certainly, it overshadowed the infamous incident. It was during my visit to Calcutta in 1998 as a guest of Calcutta Cricket and Football Club that I went in search of this cricket enthusiast. I was armed with a little clue- his name and the name of the lane where he was residing in West Bengal. It was not an easy task to identify an address in West Bengal with its hundreds of crowded streets, lanes and alleys. Anyhow, with the help of some friends in Kolkata, I was able to spot him amidst millions of people in Dominique Lapierre’s City of Joy. Sipping a hot cup of Darjeeling tea at the spacious CC & FC pavilion, Anirvan, a computer graduate, recalled that fateful evening at the Eden Gardens. “We all wanted India to win. But things changed dramatically” recalled Anirvan. “There was a poster competition that day during the break. I was interested in taking part and even went on to collect three poster sheets. Initially everything was calm and quiet and we enjoyed the game. During the break, I had a hurried meal – chapati with veg curry, oranges and Bengali sweets. By the time I finished my meal, it was too late to enter the competition as the match had commenced. Halfway through the Indian innings it all started. When the spectators interrupted play, I thought that it’s not good for the image of the city, famous for its great sporting culture. Apparently that sporting spirit disappeared in this crucial hour. On the other hand, I thought, Sri Lanka is our neighbour, a small cricketing nation which has now come a long way. Why should we get upset about a possible Sri Lankan victory? These thoughts compelled me to do something to salvage the image of our city. So I hurriedly scrawled those lines “We are sorry; congratulation(s) Sri Lanka” on a poster and without knowing that it would go so far, I just held it for a while amongst the restless crowd. That’s all. Back home my mother was telling me that I was spotted with that banner on TV screen a few times with lot of good words about my act” said soft spoken Anirvan Maity. Since our first meeting, I have been to Calcutta a few times. And whenever I stepped into his city, Anirvan had the courtesy of visiting me, but not empty handed. Once he presented me a parcel of Bengali sweets. I remember Anirvan saying, “For me, next to my country, it’s Sri Lanka”. Come December, when Sri Lanka play again in Kolkata, I am sure that Anirvan will be there at the match venue to support Sri Lanka; possibly with a banner in hand. --------------------------------------------- Source: http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections/frmNewsDetailView.aspx?ARTID=66299

And here I was thinking the Indian pace attack was at it's lethal best. I was cheering and clapping when Dilshan was floored, Sanath got rapped and some other Lankan got smashed on the tind. Had no clue it was because of the pitch until I saw television to find out what the delay was about.

Nah yaar. Do you remember the Headingley pitch in 2002 when Dravid and Bangar were getting hit every couple of deliveries? That was a test match! And we didn't walk away. The pitch may not be a flat patta but it isn't as bad as they're making it seem. The comparison with the England vs. WI game at the Viv Richards stadium is ridiculous. Anyone who's watched that game will tell you that the match was abandoned because it was SANDY' date=' the bowlers were not even able to land properly. This pitch has uneven bounce because of uneven spread of grass and a few cracks. Bah. I'm still kinda pissed off.[/quote'] You can't compare this Kotla pitch with Headingly. Headingly was a test match and the pitch had moisture on the 1st day. DDCA should be banned, too many controversies

DDCA pitch panel members resign The members of the pitch and ground committee of the Delhi & Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) have put in their papers after taking responsibility for the pitch fiasco which led to the abandonment of the fifth and final ODI between India and Sri Lanka at the Feroz Shah Kotla today. Chetan Chauhan, the committee's chairman and former Test player, convener Sunil Dev and curator Vijay Bahadur Mishra were among those who resigned after a meeting of top DDCA officials. "At a meeting of senior officials of the DDCA , the chairman and members of pitch and ground committee, including the curator resigned owing moral responsibility after the abandonment of the India-Sri Lanka ODI," SP Bansal, the DDCA secretary, said in a statement. The BCCI had also disbanded its grounds and pitches committee with immediate effect, following Sri Lankan captain Kumar Sangakkara's refusal to play on a dangerous pitch after 23.3 overs in the day. The visitors were tottering at 83 for 5 when batsman Thilina Kandamby complained to the on-field umpires, which led to an on-field conference involving match referee Alan Hurst, India's captain MS Dhoni, Sangakkara, the respective coaches - Gary Kirsten and Trevor Bayliss - and the Kotla curator. DDCA officials, including Chauhan, who is also the vice-president, proposed that the match be played on a secondary strip, but Hurst "deemed it impractical" as it was not adequately prepared.. The recent history of the Kotla track had done little to recommend its hosting of another international fixture. The curators, both at the ground and the BCCI's head of pitches committee Daljit Singh, have on more than one occasion said that this is a freshly relaid pitch and will take time to settle in. Despite that, the ground hosted the Champions League T20 on low and slow tracks, and an ODI between India and Australia in October. http://www.cricinfo.com/indvsl2009/content/current/story/441425.html Good start, this incompetent bunch needed to go