Rohit Sharma added to first Test squad between India and SA

Feed

So as Nohit. So as Dada. This can be easily corrected with some practice. At least Raina has temparment to do well in shorter format of the game. I'm sure given a chance' date=' he'll do well in longer format.[/quote'] I'm not talking about technical issues.Raina seems scared of bouncers.he cant even leave them properly.atleast Dada n Rohit duck the short ball well. as for temperament,Raina's temperament is strictly suited to LOIs.he takes too many risks.

What the #@$#@ hell... why not MAnish Pandey ?...Rohit did eff all in the warm up match... If dhoni picks him over Badrinath I lose all respect for him...... on the plus side..if he fails in this test after being picked (which he very well may..) this is the probably the last we'll see of this "talunted" batsman for some time...

pure talent,we all know how talented he is.Raina has problems with short ball. Kohli i agree should have been there,but i would call it a mistake rather than bias
Rohit has problems playing spin bowling, in all the limited ODIs and T20s he played, he never looked comfortable against spin Kohli gets out caught behind almost everytime So, can we throw out these guys saying they are not fit for test matches. People start stereotyping when it comes to Raina only
Rohit has problems playing spin bowling, in all the limited ODIs and T20s he played, he never looked comfortable against spin Kohli gets out caught behind almost everytime So, can we throw out these guys saying they are not fit for test matches. People start stereotyping when it comes to Raina only
Rohit has problem against spin,but do u expect Paul Hariss to trouble him? Kohli does get out like that.maybe thats why hes not been picked. i've no problem with Raina playing a test match. as i said all these guys r talented ,but the slots arent available yet.sabka number ayega. its Rohit's chance now.let him fail in test before moving on to some other
first in Irani trophy wen Ishant made him look like a tailender before knocking off his off stump out. n then in BP XI game against Aussies wen they visited here.also his scores in Emerging players tournament were not flash i agree that since hes in the squad he should play.i'm saying that someone younger like Kohli or Pujara or Dhawan should have been in the squad instead of him
Ishant made Ponting look like a tailender on a few occasions. Sidebottom embarrassed SRT in a long spell in England with swing and seam movement. Point is, when a top class bowler is on song even the best batsmen in the world will look ordinary. For a domestic cricketer in India who rarely gets to face genuine fast bowlers it is not easy to adjust to bowlers who consistently exceed 140kph. Give them some time to ramp up to international level before you decide whether they belong there are not. Badri has shown good technique and temperament - the two most important attributes of a test batsmen - so he has a few things going for him.
Rohit has problem against spin,but do u expect Paul Hariss to trouble him? Kohli does get out like that.maybe thats why hes not been picked. i've no problem with Raina playing a test match. as i said all these guys r talented ,but the slots arent available yet.sabka number ayega. its Rohit's chance now.let him fail in test before moving on to some other
I aint saying Rohit is bad Rohit was given repeated chances, he failed. Raina and Kohli have done very well in the chances they have got, they are yet to even be in the test squad, I am just Raina , then Kohli should have been given the chance ahead of Rohit.
I aint saying Rohit is bad Rohit was given repeated chances, he failed. Raina and Kohli have done very well in the chances they have got, they are yet to even be in the test squad, I am just Raina , then Kohli should have been given the chance ahead of Rohit.
again Rohit's failure was in ODIs that shouldnt harm his test chances.i would be surprised n pissed if Rohit playsa ODIs before WC 2011. i think the selectors have just gone on talent n hence picked Rohit as hes more of a complete batsman.if he fails i'm sure Kohli,Raina would get thier chances

Well, it's kind of irrelevant really as I don't see Laxman missing out on account of a split webbing he got 15 days back. However, here is my ranking and assessment of some of the candidates : 1. Kohli - Terrific technique and temperament. Very compact and measured in his game. Has matured superbly over a very short span of time in ODIs and that would really help him in his test match game. Amongst the backup candidates the most suitable for a test match spot according to me. He will be a finished and complete product within a year and has all it takes to be a long term batsman at the number 4 slot. Should have been in the test team ahead of Badrinath. 2. Rohit Sharma - Is a poor starter, but once he gets in makes it count. Not very consistent because of his propensity to play too many strokes early in his innings. Certainly looks the part as one to be a permanent fixture in the test team over the next decade. Doesn't have a very good game against spin and needs to develop that in domestic cricket, but there are hardly any good spinners in international cricket at the moment to trouble him consistently. 3. Nayar - The typical Mumbai khadoos - the dark horse. Not many would think of him as the ideal test player on first looks, but he has got the strokes and the heart for a battle. Has a very well developed on side game for a left hander giving him versatility. His bowling is an added bonus when the team is playing in India with just two fast bowlers. Scoring big in the high visibility matches has made him jump up high in the reckoning and once he gets to play a full season for Mumbai next year, the verdict will be clearer on him. For starters there will be the Irani trophy match. 4. Pandey - Looked to be a cowlasher in my only viewing of him in IPL last year, and I haven't seen him bat since. But scoring 800+ runs in a Ranji season at a strike rate of 80 is not to be taken lightly. 5. Rahane - Very impressive and correct stroke player, a typical Mumabi batsman. His game against spin is really impressive and looks to play on the backfoot against fast bowlers which is a good sign. However, has failed to make big scores in important high visibility matches like Badrinath which puts him still a fair distance away from selection. Next season will be an opportunity for him to rectify this. 6. Raina - Not suited for test cricket at the moment. Has done well in ODIs, but needs to prove that he can build an innings in test matches by playing some long and meaningful innings in First Class cricket. His overall FC record is ordinary and so have been his recent performances. 7. Pujara - I don't have too much confidence in him. Yes, he has the ability to play long innings but his technique of plonking the front foot does not inspire too much confidence about his success at the international level. Perhaps he should look for a county stint or move away from the Rajkot patta he bats on day in and day out to develop his game further.

What nonsense. Raina and Kohli are more deserving. Its just bias against north Indians.
RAINA IS NOT A TEST PLAYER, GET THAT INTO YOUR HEAD. He is too flashy, doesn't have a solid enough defense. We are playing south africa, he will die from the bouncers. Kohli has had one good ODI series against Bangla and Siril on dead ass tracks. He's a talent for sure but give it time. I do not agree with Rohit Sharma's inclusion, but no way is it bias against North Zone, lmao. Once again, you have like 5 players from Delhi alone in the team god dammit, are you seriously that stupid? Anyways, back on topic. Rohit Sharma is a terrible choice. I would've made a drastic move and drafted Manish Pandey in. The guy is just LOADED with talent, he is IMO ready for test cricket.
Well, it's kind of irrelevant really as I don't see Laxman missing out on account of a split webbing he got 15 days back. However, here is my ranking and assessment of some of the candidates : 1. Kohli - Terrific technique and temperament. Very compact and measured in his game. Has matured superbly over a very short span of time in ODIs and that would really help him in his test match game. Amongst the backup candidates the most suitable for a test match spot according to me. He will be a finished and complete product within a year and has all it takes to be a long term batsman at the number 4 slot. Should have been in the test team ahead of Badrinath. 2. Rohit Sharma - Is a poor starter, but once he gets in makes it count. Not very consistent because of his propensity to play too many strokes early in his innings. Certainly looks the part as one to be a permanent fixture in the test team over the next decade. Doesn't have a very good game against spin and needs to develop that in domestic cricket, but there are hardly any good spinners in international cricket at the moment to trouble him consistently. 3. Nayar - The typical Mumbai khadoos - the dark horse. Not many would think of him as the ideal test player on first looks, but he has got the strokes and the heart for a battle. Has a very well developed on side game for a left hander giving him versatility. His bowling is an added bonus when the team is playing in India with just two fast bowlers. Scoring big in the high visibility matches has made him jump up high in the reckoning and once he gets to play a full season for Mumbai next year, the verdict will be clearer on him. For starters there will be the Irani trophy match. 4. Pandey - Looked to be a cowlasher in my only viewing of him in IPL last year, and I haven't seen him bat since. But scoring 800+ runs in a Ranji season at a strike rate of 80 is not to be taken lightly. 5. Rahane - Very impressive and correct stroke player, a typical Mumabi batsman. His game against spin is really impressive and looks to play on the backfoot against fast bowlers which is a good sign. However, has failed to make big scores in important high visibility matches like Badrinath which puts him still a fair distance away from selection. Next season will be an opportunity for him to rectify this. 6. Raina - Not suited for test cricket at the moment. Has done well in ODIs, but needs to prove that he can build an innings in test matches by playing some long and meaningful innings in First Class cricket. His overall FC record is ordinary and so have been his recent performances. 7. Pujara - I don't have too much confidence in him. Yes, he has the ability to play long innings but his technique of plonking the front foot does not inspire too much confidence about his success at the international level. Perhaps he should look for a county stint or move away from the Rajkot patta he bats on day in and day out to develop his game further.
I like ur analysis.......all the technicalities have been considererd.....but there are 2 important names missing in that list....first is shikar Dhawan......who is very talented and looks compact against both pace and spin and other name is Dinesh Karthick....who got 2 150+ scores in the duleep trophy finals..... and also tiwary of bengal??