Squad for 2nd test vs SA : Suresh Raina gets maiden Test call-up

Karan114

Yes. Shocking decisions by the selectors. And I hope they don't give Raina his cap in the next match. The guy is a nut when facing the short deliveries and I say this with all respect to his batting. Tyagi hasn't got a Test yet and Mithun hasn't too. They just seem to be glorified 12th men for India and cleaners for the umpires (Tyagi was seen mopping Ian Gould's face yesterday). And to give credit to KKD, he batted out of his skin in both the innings in the recent Duleep Trophy match. So he deserves to be ahead of the boys in terms of getting a spot
that puzzles me. i thot Karthik was dropped for his keeping rather than batting.even the selectors have realised that Saha int the man.but having dropped Karthik ,why the hurry to bring him back?why not try some else like Gautam.?the thought process of selectors is puzzling
Satyanaash. Raina is one of the worst batsman I've seen when playing the short ball. I agree with Lord. Someone needs to tell Cheeka that SA's main bowler is Steyn,not Harris :hysterical: And dropping Saha on the back of just one game was real bad selection. Why should him the carrot when you just want to use him as a bait? Ridiculous. And Mithun.... India's "fastest" bowler, has been dropped too. *A functioning brain for Cheeka, please* On the flipside, Sree is back :adore:
Sree ki waaaaat lagegi
but has better technique n temperament than Raina.
There is a huge difference in the development of the two players. they didn't start at the same point. to think that the less developed player will be taken ahead of the more developed player is wishful thinking. won't happen.
again,technically solid,with good temperament,prepared to grind it out wen needed,can also go for big hits.plus a handy seam option to have
the team management has already shown their preference by investing in raina all these years. or else abhishek would have been there.

There were many favorable pointers.. Either you have to have some link with Tamil Nadu.. If not the you have be very close to Captain or Vice Captain.. The teams you play in IPL also help. Raina has no relations with TN but plays for CSK and is very close to Dhoni..KKD is from TN plus he plays for DD under Sehwag.. :giggle:

Guest DeveGowda

Every thing depends on pitch...if its batting Pitch (higly unlikely) KD,Raina can all have a good game while Sree or ishanth will be murdered... If its Rank turner (BCCI have to Kidnap Curator :winky:) ,most possible , then KD or raina dont have much hope...

There were many favorable pointers.. Either you have to have some link with Tamil Nadu.. If not the you have be very close to Captain or Vice Captain.. The teams you play in IPL also help. Raina has no relations with TN but plays for CSK and is very close to Dhoni..KKD is from TN plus he plays for DD under Sehwag.. :giggle:
as much as i may try,i cannot ignore this angle.seriously,hope i'm wrong
that puzzles me. i thot Karthik was dropped for his keeping rather than batting.even the selectors have realised that Saha int the man.but having dropped Karthik ' date='why the hurry to bring him back?why not try some else like Gautam.?the thought process of selectors is puzzling[/quote'] The word on the street is he was dropped for playing an 'irresponsible' shot, the kind of which Sehwag plays but then he has got the licence to do it, in the Bangla Test. Karthik's keeping is comparable to Dhoni's, both are good against pace bowling but suck against spinners, so I don't think he could've been dropped on that count.

Can't argue much with the selection except may be Kohli/Panday in place of Raina, the cover for VVS, depending up on how you rate them .... Bhajji if he fails here should be rested from tests .... Until Laxman is declared fit, we should assume he is unfit

There is a huge difference in the development of the two players. they didn't start at the same point. to think that the less developed player will be taken ahead of the more developed player is wishful thinking. won't happen.
less developed but highly talented n with a good FC record.is not like Raina has played far more FC cricket like Badri,in which case its understandable.but Virat seems a more rounded player than Raina for sure
the team management has already shown their preference by investing in raina all these years. or else abhishek would have been there.
Raina is good for ODIs,good aggresive bat n terrific fielder,but in tests i would have preferred Nayar over him
Just one question: Why no Kohli? Even when Rohit was called up, I was wondering why he isn't given a chance.
has to develop more. raina and rohit are further up in the peckig order and they have extra years of international experience. In test matches atleast, the selectors have been usually strict on ensuring the more mature players get a chance. when they erred as in case of saha. it came to bite them real hard :)
The word on the street is he was dropped for playing an 'irresponsible' shot' date=' the kind of which Sehwag plays but then he has got the licence to do it, in the Bangla Test. Karthik's keeping is comparable to Dhoni's, both are good against pace bowling but suck against spinners, so I don't think he could've been dropped on that count.[/quote'] which shot r u talking about?n i dont think u can drop a player for one irrespponsible shot n then bring him back after one game.that too in such an important series n no thier keeping isnt comparable.Dhoni is far superior,both against pace n spin
but Virat seems a more rounded player than Raina for sure
no. your opinion is not shared by either the selectors or the team management.
Raina is good for ODIs,good aggresive bat n terrific fielder,but in tests i would have preferred Nayar over him
its not about you or me. we do not matter. the selections and backing given to various players over the years gives clues to how the selection will unfold and which players are preferred. tune in on these clues and you will undertsand how selection works.
no. your opinion is not shared by either the selectors or the team management. its not about you or me. we do not matter. the selections and backing given to various players over the years gives clues to how the selection will unfold and which players are preferred. tune in on these clues and you will undertsand how selection works.
exactly there has to be some thinking behind what they do n what decisions they make.Raina's selection makes zero sense. u cannot just focus on back him n ignore others knowing fully that Raina is suspect against short ball n SA attack is about three 140+ pacers