Murali Vijay is a fantastic bat

Cricketics

He looked fantastic. There's a poise, grace and composure about him that is impossible to miss. Apart from that, there's also an arrogant gait about that is so vital to a champion batsmen. The shot he played this morning to get dismissed probably reduced our survival chances in this match by 50%. He would have learned a lot from that. Even if VVS and Dravid come back, he should probably replace UV in the eleven.
yep agree with every word of your post Sriram. His balance is so good and the time he has to play each ball is also one of his strengths. He picks the length quickly so hopefully he will start playing more responsibly from here on and not throw his wickets away after the 30s and 40s and after looking so good at the crease. Anyway i am not sure about Badri though, but he does deserve couple of more chances.
He looked fantastic. There's a poise, grace and composure about him that is impossible to miss. Apart from that, there's also an arrogant gait about that is so vital to a champion batsmen. The shot he played this morning to get dismissed probably reduced our survival chances in this match by 50%. He would have learned a lot from that. Even if VVS and Dravid come back, he should probably replace UV in the eleven.
Sriram, I visited Hell and its freezing cold!
Sriram' date=' I visited Hell and its freezing cold![/quote'] I anticipated that. :D Even in my original defence of Yuvraj's test place, I did mention that there are significant shortfalls in both his technique and temperament and that we should strive for a suitable replacement. I was a bit unsure about whether we still have a someone with the credentials to be a suitable no.6. But after seeing Vijay bat the way he did, I think it'll be shame to leave him out. Vijay looks unbelievably composed for someone playing just his 4th match. Sure, there's still some impetuousness to his stroke play and that is only expected for someone so inexperienced. I hope the Coach Kirsten and some of the seniors call him up for a casual chat, replay the shot that he played and explain the significance of his dismissal in the context of the match situation.
Thing why we all want Badri to get chance is that he should be given a proper run. You can't just drop him like that. Thats what people mean. Yeah I too beleive Virat Kohli is our future in test cricket. Infact I have already revealed that Virat KOHLI is the future Indian Captain even before he was called in Indian ODI side.
Virat Kohli is definetly a prospect for Tests, I agree, but don't you think it is a little premature to hype him up as the future Indian captain?
Even Yuvi scores big in tests in Sub-continent. Lets see what Vijay does in Kolkotta. If he can score a 100 +, then maybe you have wieght in your statement. Otherwise, Yuvraj should continue his last run in tests to prove himself. After that, if he fails, then the door should be closed on him.

Brain fart is his worst enemy. The thing is not every day you might get a start. When you get, you must make it count. Sadagopan Ramesh who had more weaknesses converted better if i remember. He infact scored against the likes of Akram, Younis, Akhtar, Saqlain that 1999 series. Of all the test openers i have seen from TN he looks the most solid 1) Srikkanth 2) Ramesh 3) VBC 4) Karthik 5) vijay Of al these guys Vijay is the most solid.

When is 30 and single digit scores good nuff? More so dissapointing if he was looking good cuz when you are looking good, you gotta convert big. During your scratchy/out of form times, 30s are for that time.
Thing is that he has done well whenever he has been given rare chance. It's not that he is consistentlly playing for India and scoring thirties. He only gets to play when someone is injured and that happens rarely. If he scores pair of 30s, in a test when playing after long time, it's understandable. He has done well in previous chances. Not that he has regularly made just 30s.
Brain fart is his worst enemy. The thing is not every day you might get a start. When you get, you must make it count. Sadagopan Ramesh who had more weaknesses converted better if i remember. He infact scored against the likes of Akram, Younis, Akhtar, Saqlain that 1999 series. Of all the test openers i have seen from TN he looks the most solid 1) Srikkanth 2) Ramesh 3) VBC 4) Karthik 5) vijay Of al these guys Vijay is the most solid.
what do u think about Mukund?

Vijay will have a long and successful career if he continues his progress. His temperament needs some fine tuning, that is all. I think his technique is good enough to withstand pace and spin bowling. Badri on the other hand I fear is already being sorted out by the Saffers. It was interesting to see how quickly they managed to find a chink in his armor...i.e he likes to dab the ball down to third man and he scored most of his runs in that region in the first innings. In the second innings, they had parnell go round the wicket right away and he was clearly struggling with that line. He was pushing and playing away. I hope he has a look at that dismissal and learns quickly.

Even Yuvi scores big in tests in Sub-continent. Lets see what Vijay does in Kolkotta. If he can score a 100 +, then maybe you have wieght in your statement. Otherwise, Yuvraj should continue his last run in tests to prove himself. After that, if he fails, then the door should be closed on him.
At the moment, that might well happen. But, if Vijay makes a big score in the 2nd test, it will be hard to leave him out of the team.

Yuvraj's problem is unreliablity. He is extremely useful when India has piled up runs and look for quick runs. But when he is in a situation where he has to be on the defensive he gets into all sorts of problems. There is one specifc ball from any left armer (spin or pace) when it pitches on the middle and deviates slightly away Yuvi misses it 95% of the time.Be it is Hogg or Rasel or Saqib. So many times he was bowled like that. If you go back to the one CB finals he got out like that to Hogg. Slater rightly said "Yuvraj was in three minds.". He was troubled by Hogg all innings. I sincerely want him to do well as he provides us a 5th bowling option in Tests. Also he is a very special stroke player. When in mood can decimate any fast bowling attack.

Vijay does look good.only problem at the moment is conversion Badri on the other hand,doesnt convince me at all.he seems too scared n nervous.goes into his shell.i would like to give him some chances but i'll be surprised if he does well in test cricket
What shell yaar? We were 50/3 against a rampant Steyn in the first innings. Without his contribution we wouldn't have reached 100. He took blows to his body at 90mph for his country. Played a FANTASTIC, gritty, pure test knock. It is what the situation demanded. Remember that this is his test debut, a day that he has dreamed of all his life. Of course he is going to be a bit nervous, and walking out in those conditions must have been nerve wrecking. But he performed with a very solid 56. How quick people are to write cricketers off...damn.
What shell yaar? We were 50/3 against a rampant Steyn in the first innings. Without his contribution we wouldn't have reached 100. He took blows to his body at 90mph for his country. Played a FANTASTIC, gritty, pure test knock. It is what the situation demanded. Remember that this is his test debut, a day that he has dreamed of all his life. Of course he is going to be a bit nervous, and walking out in those conditions must have been nerve wrecking. But he performed with a very solid 56. How quick people are to write cricketers off...damn.
yes he scored runs .but that is not the be all n end all. did u notice how nervous n tentative he looked.he hit 7 fours in first innings,4 off them were edges.there was no positivity about him .he looked like he'd get out any time.his main scoring area is thru third man n SA caught that quickly.in bouncier pitches,hes gonna be in more trouble. we cant have a nervous batsman in our ranks with fear writen large over his face. as i said,i would give him few chances,but not many if he continues like this.hes 29.time is running out for him.why not try younger guys?
yes he scored runs .but that is not the be all n end all. did u notice how nervous n tentative he looked.he hit 7 fours in first innings,4 off them were edges.there was no positivity about him .he looked like he'd get out any time.his main scoring area is thru third man n SA caught that quickly.in bouncier pitches,hes gonna be in more trouble. we cant have a nervous batsman in our ranks with fear writen large over his face. as i said,i would give him few chances,but not many if he continues like this.hes 29.time is running out for him.why not try younger guys?
vijay is a class batsman about badri forget his age, but he does look a very ordinary and over-rated batsman