Laxman Sivaramakrishnan

The best commentators, at this moment, are Nasser Hussain, Mike Atherton, Bumble, Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor. The most entertaining commentators are Botham, Gower and Boycott (I know, Boycott and entertaining in the same sentence?). Best voice - Michael Holding, Tony Greig and my all-time favorite, Benaud. The commentator I cannot bear listening to - Ranjit Fernando.

The best commentators' date=' at this moment, are Nasser Hussain, Mike Atherton, Bumble, Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor. The most entertaining commentators are Botham, Gower and Boycott (I know, Boycott and entertaining in the same sentence?). Best voice - Michael Holding, Tony Greig and my all-time favorite, Benaud. The commentator I cannot bear listening to - Ranjit Fernando.[/quote'] You can also add Tony Cozier to the list.
Each one of those commentators you mention offers a more engaging listening experience than Sivaramakrishnan. No doubts about that. In fact Robin Jackman is among the most underrated commentators in the world.
They probably do, but my point was in response to what they could offer as an insight on the vagaries of Indian cricket. If you are a South African watching the game in SA and there is not an Indian commentator who can offer an Indian persepctive or view it is likely to get a tad boring. If you remmber the recent Aus-Pak, there was not a single Pakistan commentator in view and most of them if not all of them were just going gaga over what the Australians were doing rather then being neutral.

Sivaramakrishnan is absolutely awful as a cricket commentator. When he first came onto the scene, he stood out as someone who could at least cobble up some decent sentences in English without stuttering and stammering. But as time passed, even that has worn out and the utter lack of any meaningful content in what he says stands out like a candle in a dark room. If anything, these days he spends most of the time having silly ego-clashes with his fellow commies. Its such a pity that a cricket-crazy nation like us cannot boast of even a single half-decent commie.

Sivaramakrishnan is absolutely awful as a cricket commentator. When he first came onto the scene, he stood out as someone who could at least cobble up some decent sentences in English without stuttering and stammering. But as time passed, even that has worn out and the utter lack of any meaningful content in what he says stands out like a candle in a dark room. If anything, these days he spends most of the time having silly ego-clashes with his fellow commies. Its such a pity that a cricket-crazy nation like us cannot boast of even a single half-decent commie.
... or an international-level umpire. After Venkataraghavan, I don't think we've had any. Even Pakistan has Dar and another guy, don't they?
. If anything' date= these days he spends most of the time having silly ego-clashes with his fellow commies.
haha exactly.. i remem yesterday cullinan was saying how far we (Ind & SAf) go together in history right from the gandhi period.. then this noob replying India will retain their No.1 ranking if they win this match.. WTF?? this guy sounds so immature..hapring on and on about No.1..

Shiva or SRK as Rambo calls him, his English is pretty good. I usually dont mind any of the commentators. He can surely give his insights when spinners are bowling atleast. Like yesterday, Cullinan asked him few questions about the seam position of Harris/ Harbhajan. After explaining, he says that he'll need to have extra lunch for explaining so much :hehe: There can be a talent hunt to find a cricket commentator in India if required.

haha exactly.. i remem yesterday cullinan was saying how far we (Ind & SAf) go together in history right from the gandhi period.. then this noob replying India will retain their No.1 ranking if they win this match.. WTF?? this guy sounds so immature..hapring on and on about No.1..
The funny part is, every time Shastri's commentary stint is coming to an end and he is introduces the next set of commies, he always says Siva's full name. Our very own 12 year old takes offence to that and retorts by saying 'Thank you Ravvvi Shaaaaastri..', trying to make Shastri's name as long as possible. :cantstop: Ravi's a cool guy and he is always playing 'round with Siva's insecurity.
... or an international-level umpire. After Venkataraghavan, I don't think we've had any. Even Pakistan has Dar and another guy, don't they?
Yep, no noteworthy umpires either.
that was ridiculous lal
There can be a talent hunt to find a cricket commentator in India if required.
There was one a few years ago. RK the current guy who hosts the Neo Sports was found by ESPN Star through that Reality show. There was also another guy - can't remember his name - who did a short stint at ESS and then moved to host a sports show on Ten Sports. the reality show IIRC was called Dream Job - Harsha Ki Khoj.
Gavaskar is nowhere close to being brilliant and Siva is not as bad as you make him out to be' date=' you seem to swing between extremes. Gavaskar's obsession with SRT and milestones can cause more irritation than eczema. Siva does not sound natural when commentating and has very few insightful comments - except, of course, when he talks of nuances in leg-spin bowling - to make but so are most other Indian commentators.[/quote'] Gavaskar is a good commentator. He is not biased like Shastri and knows what he's talking about. And if you think the SMG is biased you've never listened to Botham constantly talking about the Ashes even during the Ind-Eng series he did it. Incredibly annoying. Anyways the best commentator is David Lloyd aka Bumble - END OF STORY. Boycott's hilarious as well. Nothing beats a straight talking Yorkshireman.