Where in the world is.............................???????

Mariyam

I dont wanna ruin this thread by taking it down the chennai vs whatever city route. but I'll tell you this, its got a vibrant underbelly that only a local can show you. i'll give you one example, the underground night life scene on the East coast road will blow your mind if you know the right people. And you havent even scratched the surface from the link you've given. Mumbai has got the best of a lot of things owing to the fact that its the commercial capital, but it is a ghetto to me. Accept my sincere apologies
Meh!!! At the risk of ruining my thread. I stayed in Chennai with a friend who was a local. So we went to this disc/lounge near Elliot's Beach which was close to her place. For one it had a very bad guys: girls ratio. Maybe 20:1. You never see that in Mumbai, in any lounge/pub/disc. And this was supposed to be a good hang out place. Secondly, they took the last order at 10:00PM, I KID YOU NOT. On a weekend. Like I said, for Nightlife/eating outside, I'd rate Chennai quite low among Indian cities. There are other things in and around Chennai: Mahabalipuram, Golden Beach which are really nice. But those are few and far between.

Think you missed out on the wonderful experience of being stuck in traffic after a deluge which repeats year after year' date=' that is central only to life in Mumbai.[/quote'] If thats the kind of excitement you are looking for, try Mogadishu or Karachi. If you are lucky, they will throw in the odd suicide bombings for special occasions. Did you say you stayed with a local, is he in School or something? lol..I rest my case Mariyam, to each his or her (pls note that I used her, so that you dont sue me for being chauvinistic) own, next time you are in Chennai, let me know, I'll guide you to the real Chennai. Maybe, If you are lucky, you might get the guided tour if i'm in town.

I've heard of regional fanaticism' date=' but lunatics comparing Bombay's nightlife to Chennai - you've got to see it to believe it - what next Chennai's nightlife is greater than NYC? :hysterical:[/quote'] I'm waiting for a 'Noida has better nightlife than Delhi' comment to spring up any moment. :P

I've heard of regional fanaticism' date=' but lunatics comparing Bombay's nightlife to Chennai - you've got to see it to believe it - what next Chennai's nightlife is greater than NYC? :hysterical:[/quote'] lol, I am not even Tamilian. It doesnt sound funny when you go on and on ranting abt a city. I dont care what your reasons are Outy but stop being delusional and try to read the posts before commenting on the thread. Wait, arent you a mod? lol..Just to save you the trouble, I wasnt even comparing, just pointing out the fact that Chennai does have a vibrant nightlife which most people arent aware of.

lol' date=' I am not even Tamilian. It doesnt sound funny when you go on and on ranting abt a city. I dont care what your reasons are Outy but stop being delusional and try to read the posts before commenting on the thread. Wait, arent you a mod? lol..Just to save you the trouble, I wasnt even comparing, just pointing out the fact that Chennai does have a vibrant nightlife which most people arent aware of.[/quote'] Yeah, now I'm being an anti Tamilian mod because I think Chennai has a sh!t nightlife - well if it makes you feel better my home town, Lucknow, also has a sh!t nightlife. :icflove:

Yeah' date=' now I'm being an anti Tamilian mod because I think Chennai has a sh!t nightlife - well if it makes you feel better my home town, Lucknow, also has a sh!t nightlife. :icflove:[/quote'] Alright man, I presume you are cleverer than that to understand what I was implying.. One last thing, just make an effort to know about a city before even dissing it. Do some research. I actually quite like Lucknow, the best food I've eaten in North India. Peace Out \m/\m/.

Don't know what kind of nightlife people praising Chennai's nightlife have experienced' date=' but it's quite like someone spending 25 years in Jeddah and going to Riyadh where he can can get a cheap bottle of Vodka and a hooker for nightlife.[/quote'] Apparently , a good "nightlife" is the only thing that differentiates great cities. Good to know that your knowledge of Indian cities & culture starts and stops with Messrs Smirnoff & Stoli.. Anyways I am done with this thread.Get back to your pagoda watching.Peace!

Apparently , a good "nightlife" is the only thing that differentiates great cities. Good to know that your knowledge of Indian cities & culture starts and stops with Messrs Smirnoff & Stoli.. Anyways I am done with this thread.Get back to your pagoda watching.Peace!
That's just your incorrect inference. On the contrary the behavior on this thread from the Chennai supporting folks has been that, 'Oh we've got a vibrant nightlife, hence we are a great city'. If anything, the past few posts on this thread exemplify the inferiority complex of certain people trying to compare Chennai's nightlife to Bombay - I mean FFS, is it even a sane comparison?

If thats the kind of excitement you are looking for' date=' try Mogadishu or Karachi. If you are lucky, they will throw in the odd suicide bombings for special occasions.[/quote'] Nice. Very witty. The local I stayed with is a she. And no, she is not in school. Again, I'm recounting my experiences as a person who stayed in Chennai for nearly 10 days. And we did 'check out' a fair deal of pubs and lounges in those 10 odd days. Major difference was one which I stated: You have a very heavily skewed guys:girls ratio. Or thats what I saw. Remember this place called Tapus Zara distinctly, because that was the only good pubbing/lounging experience I had in Chennai. Nightlife in Chennai is much more lighter on your wallet than it is in Mumbai. Apart from that we did see the regular touristy things and Mahabalipuram (which was absolutely wonderful). I'll keep your offer in mind, should I survive the next torrential rain or suicide bombing or whatever and plan a trip to Chennai. Goodnight.

Apparently ' date=' a good "nightlife" is the only thing that differentiates great cities.[/quote'] No one said that!!!! But it definitely is a point of comparison. Given a choice between Mumbai and Chennai , where would you choose 1) to stay, money and all else ceteris paribus 2) To enjoy a weekend

Meh. Having a few discos and night clubs does not make a city 'vibrant'. South Sudan may as well start trumpetting it's horn as the next party central since it has a strip club. If you travel thousands of kilometers to find bars and clubs you find EVERYWHERE, you need to have your head checked for rocks. Or better still, just don't travel. Chennai, for the travel illiterate, is a melting pot of culture. The Victorian and gothic architecture might be worth a visit in Mumbai, but that's about it. I am hard pressed to find anything else in Mumbai that interests me even remotely.

Chennai ain't that bad man, I lived there for 4 months and got to explore the 'nightlife' a bit. The one thing keeping it down from being a true metro is of course the language barrier (most people still prefer Tamil to English/Hindi). It does have a nice rock scene (underground though it may be), I saw some theatre productions etc too which were pretty professional and refreshingly done.