Bomb Blasts in Mumbai 13-07-2011

Roshanrocks

Example of the biggest *****y journalist Why does Mumbai bleed again and again?: BBC News

The most commonly peddled narrative is that by attacking its much touted financial and entertainment capital, you deal a body blow to India and get global media attention. But that is only a small part of the story. Many residents will tell you that Mumbai began going downhill in early 1993 when it convulsed in religious rioting and murder for two weeks following the demolition of the Babri mosque by Hindu fanatics in December 1992. At least 900 people died, mostly Muslims. Two months after the riots, the underworld set off series of bombs to avenge the riots, killing more than 250 people. Many of them were Muslims too. That is when the rule of law broke down, many say irretrievably. A 1998 two-volume report on the religious riots was ignored by successive governments, who failed to prosecute politicians and policemen involved in the rioting.
Basically BBC has become the mouthpiece of Pakistani terrorists

If 99% of terror attacks have been foiled in India , then there have been approximately 9108 attacks (big and small) foiled over the last 20 years That is almost 1.2 attacks per day. Great job by our intelligence agencies :clap: :facepalm: Even a 90% success rate sounds implausible.

We have this one old employee whose job also includes gathering scrap metal and excess iron pellets from our factories (to save space for relevant inventory) and sell them to the metal traders. Among many places that he visits, one is just 2 lanes behind Zaveri Bazaar. This guy has excellent working relationship with the traders there as he's been doing this for many years now. We know that he cheats us and takes a bit more than what his agreed share is. But we like this guy a lot and he's been around for a long time, so we let him be. And besides, its not much anyways. Yesterday, he was in the vicinity when the bomb blasts happened. He told my dad that after the first two times that Zaveri Bazaar was targeted, the Zaveri Bazaar traders association unanimously sent petitions to the BMC (BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation) and to the Mumbai Police, that the Zaveri Bazaar stretch be made a no parking zone. The 1993 blast there was from a scooter bomb. The Mumbai Police, in theory agreed to make it a no parking area but in reality, the Police used to let people park there just so that they could collect their 'hafta' and keep filling their pockets. Despite repeated reminders from the traders and shopkeepers there, the Police did not enforce a strict no parking zone there. For those of you who haven't been to that area, it has very narrow roads where a no parking should be enforced, even when there is no terror threat. Simply because the population density there is very high and there just isn't enough place to park or maneuver vehicles there. And this time again, the bombs at Zaveri Bazaar, were two explosive laden scooters were left parked in what was de-jure a no parking zone. I completely blame police corruption for failing those at Zaveri Bazaar. Forget protecting the civilians, the Police greed further put the civilians at risk. Each of the policemen there, from the traffic constables to the zone traffic commissioner to the patrolling team there should be charged for negligence of duty and brought to the book. How can these cops even sleep at night when they know that their greed and absolute selfishness was a major reason that many innocents died. Corruption and all shouldn't be tolerated as it is, but here corruption is coming in the way of the cops doing their duty. How can there be such a rot in the morality of the cops, that for a few rs they risk the lives of others? How can there be such a rot in the rest of us to accept such police? Some time back I got a call from a friend who asked me to pick her up so we could go to Hard Rock Cafe as there is a James Bond themed music thing + drinks. Does nothing move her? There is something seriously wrong with us. This guy I mentioned rushed to the explosion site some 15 minutes after the blast and he said that other traders and people from the BMC had come to help the victims and send them to hospitals. Though a police station is less than 5-10 mins away, there weren't any policemen thus far. The BMC's prompt action saved quite a few lives and they provided instant relief to the injured. Big round of applause to them. I'm yet to come across any mention of their efforts in the mainstream print, TV or e media. The compensation offered by the government to the families of the dead is a joke. They will barely be able to eek out a year with the amount in Mumbai. In most cases the deceased were the sole earning members of their families. The compensation for the injured is a bigger joke. Those who have been handicapped will not even be able to cover their medical expenses in the coming years. In all this mayhem, the only source of hope is the promise ATS chief Rakesh Maria made during the press conference earlier today. He said he will get hold of and punish the people who are behind this. If there is any cop in our country who can do this, it is him. One of the few brave, morally upright, non corrupt and efficient officers left. It won't bring their loved ones back, but it will bring in some sense of justice to families of the victims.

Mariyam, while your post sounds politically correct, most things don't work that way. You said how can cops sleep at night, well - its not easy being one in Mumbai and they probably curse their luck for the lives they have, they feel greed is their right and I don;t blame them since their salaries are nothing where u see others enjoy and spend in merry. Mumbai itself is a mayhem city, how can u police every place, its stacked up, its a city of 18 million + half the things get done with under the table, khilao, pataoo, influence and power. People get away with the day, drink and sleep..its like flushing the toilet..done, start over, do it again..thus what we call spirt coz they no one has time to moan and groan, they expect the city to get bombed and basicaly clean up and start over. Its just not about Congress, Intelligence, ATS etc, there are lot of other things which add up to this multi-cultural, multi-stacked, bulk of a city

Negative stereotypes? "Is this the work of 'peaceful' muslim terrorists by any chance?" I know that's not very proper and it's not what I am saying but sorry to say it but that's what people will be saying in their homes. Gotta feel for the average Muslim. There doesn't seem to be any end to this and there is local sympathizers for sure albeit a very small percentage. It must be tough for the average Muslim and how the stereotype of terrorists keeps on getting worse. Because of these few terrorists, the majority of the general Muslim population has to suffer. The Elephant in the Room? This menace will keep on continuing until the Kashmir issue is taken care of. Why are both sides giving this hope that either side India or Pakistan will give its current share like a Christmas present? It has been long enough, TIME TO MAKE THE LOC INTERNATIONAL BORDERS!! And secure that border with whatever you want. Put a fence if you want to. And the Indian government should stop treating Kashmir like some royal state where no one else can buy property. If you want to stabalize conditions in Kashmir, you need the locals officers to clean up the situation. The people of Kashmir can forget about getting a separate state or joining with Pakistan. It is NOT happening. And then there is integration with the rest of India while still holding its own identity and culture. I know some of you will say the Kashmir issue won't solve it but it is really the big elephant in the room. Once that is cleared up, and the local population is happy and feels a part of India, a lot of things will improve. I know these communal hatred might still go on but alteast one area will improve. War? Now for those asking that India should retaliate by going on war with Pakistan. That's crazy and very childish attitude. What do you want to do? Take out the whole country? Sounds insane! Eventually, there will be innoncent loss of civilians and honestly going to war in the modern era is not a viable option at all. Eventually, if we do go to war, it will bring back India a few decades with economy and infrastructure. Plus, all these retaliations will increase as there will be a reason to seek revenge and this cycle will continue for centuries. That is not the solution. The USA has been going on 'war' in Afghanistan and other countries for a decade. I think the hatred for USA keeps on increasing within those countries. So what do these terrorists want? Revenge? Revenge for what? Someone has to stop this cycle of menace and bring peace that all of India longs for.

Mariyam, while your post sounds politically correct, most things don't work that way. You said how can cops sleep at night, well - its not easy being one in Mumbai and they probably curse their luck for the lives they have, they feel greed is their right and I don;t blame them since their salaries are nothing where u see others enjoy and spend in merry. Mumbai itself is a mayhem city, how can u police every place, its stacked up, its a city of 18 million + half the things get done with under the table, khilao, pataoo, influence and power. People get away with the day, drink and sleep..its like flushing the toilet..done, start over, do it again..thus what we call spirt coz they no one has time to moan and groan, they expect the city to get bombed and basicaly clean up and start over. Its just not about Congress, Intelligence, ATS etc, there are lot of other things which add up to this multi-cultural, multi-stacked, bulk of a city
I agree with your broader point. But I wasn't being politically correct at all. The fault here is majorly with the Mumbai Police. Case in point: 1) Zaveri Bazaar: It has been targeted twice before. The cops were asked to enforce no parking and they just enforced a pay parking ( pay to the cops). This scooter wouldn't have been there had the cops done their bit. How many times should a place be hit before you act? 2) Opera House: The diamond merchants have asked for Police cover from ages. They even agreed to pay for a Police chowki and set it up at the rear entrance of Pancharatna building ( exactly where the blast occurred). What did the Police do? They sold/leased the chowki to a chaiwala, who also perished in the blast. The presence of a few policemen there could have deterred the terrorists from leaving a bomb there and walking off. At these two places, the people were as vigilant as they could be. Ask any diamond merchant from Opera House or any trader from Zaveri Bazaar whom they fault. Their ire is mainly at the Police not doing the least to protect them even when they were informed a million times. Take the case of shaheed officer Karkare and his crew. They were issued substandard bullet proof vests when they went after Kasab. The head of ATS was issued crappy equipment when chasing terrorists. Mind you, the Colaba police didn't even give chase to Kasab and co. Why was the vest substandard: take a guess: the procurement department of Mumbai Police quoted a very high figure for the equipment and buy cheap ineffective local substitutes pocketing rest of the money. There are just so many cases to list. Not only wrt to terror attacks, but even in property disputes, I have worked on cases where Police work is either extremely corrupt or extremely inefficient if not both. In any other society, many of these people would be tried for outright treason if not just negligence. Apart from a few people , Mumbai Police is really rotten. Its not as if they can't tackle terror. Its as if they don't want to. They are just interested in lining their pockets first. To hell with the country and its people. Take bribes for lane cutting or minor stuff, but if you neglect your duty for money and someone loses his/her life, you should be accountable.

MUMBAI: The Dadar blast could have been much worse, taking Wednesday's death toll a lot higher, had it not been for a surprising bit of bungling by the person who planted the bomb. The bomb was placed on top of a bus stop, making the explosion face upwards. No one died, though 10 people were injured. The impact would have been deadly had the bomb been left facing down. In the other two blasts, at Opera House and Zaveri Bazar, 17 people died and 133 were injured.
I dont know if its right, but am feeling really angry by this statement. Is the writer talking about the bomb planter's foolishness or is he giving him free lessons for future :mad: