Indian Cuisine

julianlev

In short, Chole ka paste. It is a paste of garbanzo beans (chole) with garlic or what ever you want. It is used a s a chutney for pita chips. Very good. In fact I am eating it while typing this.
isnt that iserali ? I love the humus + pita combination .

Mediterrnian to be more accurate. Yes it good. Usually people use olive oil to make it making it a littlle bit healthy for you.
no, i love how mediterranean and israelis try to pass off hummus as their own, but no its strictly Arab. Hummus made by 'meditarrenean' joints here in the US absolutely suck, nothing can compare to the creamy texture and godlike taste of hummus you find in Arab countries. In fact I would say hummus is one thing the Arabs can be proud of in this world currently.

Guest Gunner
no, i love how mediterranean and israelis try to pass off hummus as their own, but no its strictly Arab. Hummus made by 'meditarrenean' joints here in the US absolutely suck, nothing can compare to the creamy texture and godlike taste of hummus you find in Arab countries. In fact I would say hummus is one thing the Arabs can be proud of in this world currently.
Bullcrap, Hummus is a lebanese-turkish-greek thing. All those three have a similar cuisine. After having been to those places many times and eating considerable amount of food from that region I can assure you it is not an "arab" thing. The arabs invented nothing when it comes to food and no Lebanese are not strictly arab. Arabs are solely the people of the GCC.

The arabs invented nothing when it comes to food and no Lebanese are not strictly arab.
How could that be? I mean they ate something there. Obviously, what ever they cooked and ate locally has to be their invention. In fact, one of their more popular ( I'm not a fan though) culinary inventions is called majboos. Its meat, chicken mainly served with rice and resins. Its quite biriyani like, the main difference being that there is no butter used and those guys don't marinate the rice. This is a dish native to the peninsular Arabic people.
Arabs are solely the people of the GCC.
What about Yemen?

Guest Gunner
How could that be? I mean they ate something there. Obviously, what ever they cooked and ate locally has to be their invention. In fact, one of their more popular ( I'm not a fan though) culinary inventions is called majboos. Its meat, chicken mainly served with rice and resins. Its quite biriyani like, the main difference being that there is no butter used and those guys don't marinate the rice. This is a dish native to the peninsular Arabic people.
Good question. You have to look back at arab history for the answer. The arabians were largely nomads/Bedouins and fishermen in the coastal region till the 20th century. Their food consisted mostly of wild meat and fish. Nothing grew on their lands and they had no capital to import, therefore they ate what they had. A lot of the confusion arises out of people attributing Persian/Egyptian/Levant/Turkic culture to the arabs. The arabs' greatest achievement was the spread of Islam into these great cultures who then added their uniqueness to the collective Islamic world. This in turn got blurred over the centuries and people started attributing everything to the arabs which is simply not true. Similarly, the original homeland of the Turks is not where Turkey is today but central asia from where they migrated around the 14th century to start the great Ottoman empire which then took on the cultural distinctiveness of the lands which they occupied around the Aegean/Ionian/Mediterranean regions. This is why I always strongly contend that the arabs invented nothing, in fact most of the greatness of the islamic traditions/culture/literature are actually those which came from great civilizations which existed before. These actually have nothing to do with the arabs. Majboos is not far removed from biryani, it is actually a more arabised version of the same passed on to them probably by the Iranians.
What about Yemen?
More african. I have eaten the Yemeni mandi, it is very african in nature. The GCC arabs don't really consider the yemenis as arabs.

Good question. You have to look back at arab history for the answer. The arabians were largely nomads/Bedouins and fishermen in the coastal region till the 20th century. Their food consisted mostly of wild meat and fish. Nothing grew on their lands and they had no capital to import, therefore they ate what they had. A lot of the confusion arises out of people attributing Persian/Egyptian/Levant/Turkic culture to the arabs. The arabs' greatest achievement was the spread of Islam into these great cultures who then added their uniqueness to the collective Islamic world. This in turn got blurred over the centuries and people started attributing everything to the arabs which is simply not true. Similarly, the original homeland of the Turks is not where Turkey is today but central asia from where they migrated around the 14th century to start the great Ottoman empire which then took on the cultural distinctiveness of the lands which they occupied around the Aegean/Ionian/Mediterranean regions. This is why I always strongly contend that the arabs invented nothing, in fact most of the greatness of the islamic traditions/culture/literature are actually those which came from great civilizations which existed before. These actually have nothing to do with the arabs. Majboos is not far removed from biryani, it is actually a more arabised version of the same passed on to them probably by the Iranians. More african. I have eaten the Yemeni mandi, it is very african in nature. The GCC arabs don't really consider the yemenis as arabs.
Great Answer Gunner.Perfectly explained.