What the **** was that Ashwin?! Ashwin's response (post #87)

Talwar

This is one area where Bhajji does good, remember how he hit Shoaib Akhtar for a six to win Asia Cup? That was under real real pressure, more than this. In this, Ashwin had all these overs to keep the score the score ticking and take us to a whitewash, something we don't do often. However, he couldn't even do this simple job, it wasn't that hard. Even on the last ball if he ran hard, he could have caused a misfield and we could have run one more. But lets not be harsh. He messed up on something so simple but he has been doing the hard things right. Bowling very well, always at the batsmen with his deliveries, batted well. Just an experience thing which he will pick up and learn from. I remember once Sreesanth made an attacking 29 not out in a test v WI I think, while there was chaos around him. He could learn from that.
He could learn from Sreesanth's 29?? The guy scored a hundred and saved us from a follow on. If Sreesanth was around, we would have been following on and struggling to save the game. But no worries- Sreesanth would have hit the one six and waved the bat mid field. Maybe that is what we want Sreesanth to learn. Also reference to Bhajji is BS. On current form, it would have taken 10 tests to get the wkt tally that Ashwin got in this test. We would not be in contention to win this test match on day 5 if Bhajji was playing today. In fact we would not have been entering this test match 2 up if Bhajji was our front line bowler today. Lastly, since when did scoring a hundred, and taking 9 wickets, scoring a century, and batting us into a position where we almost won the game in the second innings (when the best batting line up of all time fell short) become "so simple"? You're going to dog him, despite all that, for not running fast enough for a second run that was non existent anyway? Really? The 15k run man, the 13k run man, etc. go scot free. Really?

Aaron swishing and swashing that really put Ashwin under tremendous pressure. Despite wickets kept falling Ashwin was super calm. He had to make decision, he had to negotiate fiery stuff from rampaul/edwards, he had to protect tailenders, he had to fight with clock, light.. Considering all the above facts he did the best he could do. I bet some of our top order could have bottled this situation in far more worse way like getting out in the last over with Aaron in the non striker.

I think some people are blaming Ashwin because of the stupid over exaggerated commentary from Arun Lal during the final ball and how he was shouting that Ashwin didnt turn quickly for the second run when if he had seen the replay again, he would realize how stupid he was to even think there was a second run. He spoiled a great match for Ashwin with his inane comments.

In all this limelight (-ive and +ive) that Ashwin is hogging, we are forgetting some good captaincy by Sammy backed up by accurate stuff from his bowlers and fielders (at the very end). I doubt whether Dhoni would have relied on his pacers, in such situation.
For the most part WI ground fielding was outstanding. Wish our guys supported their bowlers that way. Hopefully we could at least see that in the ODI games, where relatively speaking the team would be younger, more athletic.
I think some people are blaming Ashwin because of the stupid over exaggerated commentary from Arun Lal during the final ball and how he was shouting that Ashwin didnt turn quickly for the second run when if he had seen the replay again' date=' he would realize how stupid he was to even think there was a second run. He spoiled a great match for Ashwin with his inane comments.[/quote'] Lal seemed to have some hate for Ashwin with his commentary.

On a more serious note, I saw a replay of the video and there was no way in the world Ashwin was going to get 2 runs for that. Arun Lal's comments just aggravated the situation. Ashwin only hesitated for a split second. Even if he had employed Usain Bolt to run for him, he would not have made the second!

OK, just come back from the ICU - had to go undergo 7 stitches on my hand due to missing nails..considering what happened. I am highly impressed by this bloke to hold fort, since our heroes were way careless and relaxed. Kindly give the debutant a little credit for scoring a century, taking wickets and making this a draw

gambhir got out maybe unlucky didn't saw his dismissal (people said it was not out) sehwag threw his wicket tendulkar choked dravid choked (maybe ball stopped too ) laxman,kohli fought but both should have done better after getting set! dhoni if u really wanna bash some one he is the guy :haha: ashwin only person imo who played smartly till end there was no 2nd run are u kidding me? if we didn't win this match its because of out top order you cant blame it on this guy who tried his best gave his all maybe more than all what if we would ve lost? this guy saved us from humiliation such calmness under pressure im impressed who so ever blames him is total nut job >.

OK' date=' just come back from the ICU - had to go undergo 7 stitches on my hand due to missing nails..considering what happened. I am highly impressed by this bloke to hold fort, since our heroes were way careless and relaxed. Kindly give the debutant a little credit for scoring a century, taking wickets and making this a draw[/quote'] damn hope you are fine mate:nervous: and totally agree with ya!
Only on ICF will you find a thread criticizing someone who has picked up 20 wickets in his first 3 test matches and scored a test century.
Well, taken in isolation, that particular sequence of events warrants some criticism, no? Notwithstanding his brilliance throughout the series, he seemed to forget some basic cricketing tenets at the end there. Tenets like "Run like hell, man ..." It's like an MVP QB who has a brilliant game until the last second when he misses an easy read and throws a pick-6 to lose the game.
Well, taken in isolation, that particular sequence of events warrants some criticism, no? Notwithstanding his brilliance throughout the series, he seemed to forget some basic cricketing tenets at the end there. Tenets like "Run like hell, man ..." It's like an MVP QB who has a brilliant game until the last second when he misses an easy read and throws a pick-6 to lose the game.
no u didn't. :whack: