Why exactly is Tendulkar in the odi team???

Why exactly is Tendulkar in the odi team???  

1. 1.

• To "guide" youngsters like Jadeja in the team
    • To get his 100th 100 as he knows he's gonna struggle in Tests
    • He wanted to have a longer vacation in Aus so he came "back" for Aussie tri series
    • Can't say. It's a head scratcher and I have no clue

Ganesh, tell me one thing. How does it help the team if in one series GG is batting at 3 and when Sachin decides to rest he is playing as an opener? Because of Sachin coming into the side as and when he wants, Gambhir, Kohli, MSD all bat a position below their normal position. Not sure why the youngsters should have to suffer to accommodate Sachin who doesn't like or want to bat anywhere else. Why is it that its always Sachin whose batting position should be sacrosanct? Yes he has been the best ever ODI bat, doesn't mean towards the end of the career he still continues doing what he was doing at his peak. Had he been playing most of the series, it would still have made sense for him carrying on as an opener. But with this likely to be his last ODI series for sometime, not sure why the team should not be given an opportunity to try out a youngster. Also to think of it, this entire drama around rotation policy wouldn't have been there had Sachin said, like the other previous ODI tours post the WC, I do not want to play here either. Mind you, he may still go on to help us reach the finals of CB series or even it from here on, but in the long run his decision to play here doesn't help Indian cricket at all.

Ganesh' date=' tell me one thing. How does it help the team if in one series GG is batting at 3 and when Sachin decides to rest he is playing as an opener? Because of Sachin coming into the side as and when he wants, Gambhir, Kohli, MSD all bat a position below their normal position. Not sure why the youngsters should have to suffer to accommodate Sachin who doesn't like or want to bat anywhere else. Why is it that its always Sachin whose batting position should be sacrosanct? Yes he has been the best ever ODI bat, doesn't mean towards the end of the career he still continues doing what he was doing at his peak.[/quote'] Yaar, sehwag and GG are our designated openers, atleast till this ODI series is over. With SRT coming to play, 2 out of them will play because of the rotation policy. When all three of them play together (which is only one match where Dhoni rested), only then GG would come down at number 3. The reason he is opening is that the only other opener on this tour is Pappu who we can all agree is a useless hack. Of course if Rahane was in the squad he might have got an opportunity to open *provided* both Viru and SRT were rested in the same match. I dont see the selectors taking the decision in the current series. Of course things may change after the series when Viru might be dropped or SRT asked to retire, but as things stand now, the current arrangement is the most practical one. Regarding the batting position being sacrosanct, it is quite obvious that seniors have a larger say in where they want to bat. Not that its ideal but seniority is given additional respect in the Indian side. But you also have to factor that the all of SRT, Viru and GG did agree to the rotation policy so that one more youngster can be accommodated in the side. They all accepted the policy except when Dhoni justified it by using fielding as a reason rather than for getting more youngsters. I think SRT only wanted to play the England and Oz ODI series and not play the home matches to begin with. In England he got the toe injury which leaves this as the only other series remaining. if he wanted not to play this, he would have retired from ODIs after the WC.
Dude, do you look at your own numbers? Have a look at your one day list, for example. See how many games SRT played as compared to Sidhu, Manjrekar, Kambli etc. SRT played 76 games in the time. Sidhu 43, Manjrekar 45 & Kambli 39. ALL had better average than SRT. Can you help understand? And if the assertion is going to be Test cricket, do throw some light on why a middle order Test batsman was allowed to open the innings in LOI?
Chonch kholne se pehley thoda mastishk pe zor de diya kar..I am still hopeful that few of your grey cells might still want to work. If you do not know, can you guess how many batsmen are there in an ODI squad? Who are the top batsmen in that period in that list? Can you guess why he ended up playing extra matches? How was it at the expense of any established performer? No one will buy your blue-eyed boy shyte. Do you understand, during that time, performance in tests helped cementing a place in ODIs - and vice versa (not that things have changed much now)? [btw, in that list one of the mahanayak has average of 18 in almost as many matches, with 13 not-outs]

I distinctly recall, couple of days after India's WC win when we were still "floating", but a part of me kept wondering "Why the heck no one has spoken to the media yet or arranged a celebration! ". And there is breaking news, Sachin's press conference, and I think to myself, finally the great man will say goodbye to ODIs play only tests. Do wonderfully well for atleast an year or so. Well that didn't quite go to the plan. Fair to say this press conference and the news of "jaded" Indian players playing the IPL 5 days after WC told me exactly where India's cricket will be heading. And to my horror, I have been right.

Ch If you do not know, can you guess how many batsmen are there in an ODI squad? Who are the top batsmen in that period in that list? Can you guess why he ended up playing extra matches? How was it at the expense of any established performer? No one will buy your blue-eyed boy shyte. Do you understand, during that time, performance in tests helped cementing a place in ODIs - and vice versa (not that things have changed much now)?
Dude tumhara post mein hamesha sawaal kyun hota hai? No, seriously. I see in happening in every post, a question is raised..instead of replying you come back with 3 different questions, once those questions are answered to you, you come back with more questions. Your moniker Akshayxyz should be Akshayxyz? Back to question now. Why did SRT play more games that "seniors" like Sidhu, Manjrekar...and even Kambli who had better average than Marathi miyaan?? For the sake of simplicity, dont bring in Test cricket because in Test cricket SRT was conviniently playing in middle order. The assertion here is rather simple - SRT was given a good run to give a continued time in the middle, so should the youngsters of today should be too. Fair?
[btw, in that list one of the mahanayak has average of 18 in almost as many matches, with 13 not-outs]
Arre miyaan burqa ke bahar nikal ke batao ke who is this mahanayak. What his role was in the team etc etc. xxx
I distinctly recall' date=' couple of days after India's WC win when we were still "floating", [b']but a part of me kept wondering "Why the heck no one has spoken to the media yet or arranged a celebration! ". And there is breaking news, Sachin's press conference, and I think to myself, finally the great man will say goodbye to ODIs play only tests. Do wonderfully well for atleast an year or so.
Well to me the question was similar but yet different, and came at a time prior to the WC. At What time does a player realize he is lot older than his colleagues? And what does it do to him? . When Sehwag started playing he was asked that question - How does it feel to be in the middle with Sachin. The question was repeated then to Zaheer, Yuvraj, Dhoni and these days to Ashwin, Varun A., Umesh Yadav etc. At some point it has got to affect you as a person. When Kohli said how Sachin was lifting India forever, it was time the team lifted him...that was a great compliment but wasn't there an undertone of how time has elapsed? Dont know, but I suppose at some time the same questions to younger guys would probably start getting to you.
Did you bother checking Mahanayak's bowling exploits in those matches? An average of 27 and an economy rate of 3.7!
From 1991 onwards ODIs: Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St unfiltered 225 3783 175* 23.79 1 14 253 5/43 27.45 1 71 0 filtered 62 651 42 16.27 0 0 56 4/54 32.05 0 13 0 From 1991 onwards in Tests Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St unfiltered 131 5248 163 31.05 8 27 434 9/83 29.64 23 64 0 filtered 20 654 129 31.14 1 4 54 5/97 28.05 2 10 0 He could justify place in tests with that stats, but definitely not in ODIs.
He could justify place in tests with that stats, but definitely not in ODIs.
You just settled the argument with Akshay, Coffee saab. His point was that in 90s SRT was given a long rope (in LOI) because he was one of the better Test team players and thats how teams rolled back then. Looks like Kapil did everything to make Akshay happy. Well then Akshay I am sure you love your mahanayak now. :giggle:
How is it obvious? He's struggling in Odis more than he did in tests. If he wanted to get that 100th 100' date=' then he would have played in the Windies series.[/quote'] Tendulkar assumed he would be able to score a 100 in Aus in 4 tests. He looked at Aussie bowling with no McGrath, Warne, Mitchell Johnson and saw the likes of Siddle and newbies and assumed the 100 would be there for the taking. He thought he wouldn't get that much glory if he did it in India in odis against WI as compared to doing it against Aus in Aus. Little did he realize likes of Pattinson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Lyon and even Clarke would make him their bi@tch. Now he has no choice but to play in the tri-series hoping he would at least be able to score a 100 in 8 matches where 4 of them would be against SL :haha:
Tendulkar assumed he would be able to score a 100 in Aus in 4 tests. He looked at Aussie bowling with no McGrath, Warne, Mitchell Johnson and saw the likes of Siddle and newbies and assumed the 100 would be there for the taking. He thought he wouldn't get that much glory if he did it in India in odis against WI as compared to doing it against Aus in Aus. Little did he realize likes of Pattinson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Lyon and even Clarke would make him their bi@tch. Now he has no choice but to play in the tri-series hoping he would at least be able to score a 100 in 8 matches where 4 of them would be against SL :haha:
How about skipping the Windies series before the England tour? I'm pretty sure he thought against the likes of Anderson, Broad, Swann, etc, 100 was there for the taking.
Tendulkar assumed he would be able to score a 100 in Aus in 4 tests. He looked at Aussie bowling with no McGrath, Warne, Mitchell Johnson and saw the likes of Siddle and newbies and assumed the 100 would be there for the taking. He thought he wouldn't get that much glory if he did it in India in odis against WI as compared to doing it against Aus in Aus. Little did he realize likes of Pattinson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Lyon and even Clarke would make him their bi@tch. Now he has no choice but to play in the tri-series hoping he would at least be able to score a 100 in 8 matches where 4 of them would be against SL :haha:
That is what i think as well. He thought he would be able to score a 100 in ODI considering field restriction, friendlier batting conditions. Sadly he is not even able to do well against Srilanka. He probably wanted to achieve on a much bigger stage. His plans have gone awry. 11 tests gone.
How about skipping the Windies series before the England tour? I'm pretty sure he thought against the likes of Anderson' date=' Broad, Swann, etc, 100 was there for the taking.[/quote'] At that point in time anyone would have thought he would get at least one hundred in 4 tests in Eng. This has been the first time SRT didn't manage a 100 on a full tour to Eng , or Aus. He always used to score hundreds in previous series and nobody would have expected otherwise. And it wasn't as if SRT was batting badly in Eng but it was soon apparent that 100 was weighing on his mind as he became extremely edgy when the 100 was there for the taking - he scored a 90 in Eng and scored a couple of half-centuries in Aus which he would have converted into a 100 on earlier tours. In hindsight, SRT himself would want to tour WI but at that time 4 tests in Eng and 4 tests in Aus looked more than enough to get him a few 100s, forget just one, especially with Aussies going through transition and without a big name bowler in their team.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournaments/sachin-tendulkar--an-indian-icon/top-stories/Sachin-Tendulkar-must-quit-ODIs-say-57-in-TOI-poll/articleshow/11997477.cms :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: 57% of TOI reader also want Sachin to quit. Lurker, U_G you are not alone whole nation is with you even yesterday newshour Arnab was shouting why is this man in team why the hell is he playing. Even India TV and Aaj Tak are saying same. ufff Out of topic but gr8 comment in TOI section How many of the 57% believe that the Congress govt - who is out of form since independence, should quit from Lok Sabha / Rajya Sabha? I know its not relevant, but we jump to decide Cricketers fate's where we have no say, but dont even jump across the street to vote where we actually have a say.
Any ToI news should directly go to jokes section. They seem to decide their results first and then go on to find respondents giving them those percentages.
stop talking out of your ass man! Team for tri-series was selected in the middle of Perth test (third test). There was another test remaining in the series which was to be played at Adelaide, easily the best batting track in Australia and Sachin had scores of 73, 32, 41 and 80 in the series till then! btw few months back you were not at all concerned about Sachin playing in IPL or skipping WI tour.."usko world cup enjoy karne do yaar" :winky: but now that you have become favorite whipping boy of your paki friends, poora frustration Sachin pe nikal raha he nah? :haha:
stop talking out of your ass man! Team for tri-series was selected in the middle of Perth test (third test). There was another test remaining in the series which was to be played at Adelaide, easily the best batting track in Australia and Sachin had scores of 73, 32, 41 and 80 in the series till then! btw few months back you were not at all concerned about Sachin playing in IPL or skipping WI tour.."usko world cup enjoy karne do yaar" :winky: but now that you have become favorite whipping boy of your paki friends, poora frustration Sachin pe nikal raha he nah? :haha:
Did you seriously believe SRT would have scored a 100 at Adelaide after missing out tons in Eng, against WI at home (in tests) or at Sydney where he threw it away against Clarke of all people? Yes, a few months back things were different and we didn't go through the 0-8 humiliation. If he had simply skipped WI tour, I would have been fine, but he skipped Eng and WI odis and then decided to play this tri-series!!! Pray tell me why? Why would you skip the Eng & WI odis if you intend to be part of the odi team? I can only think of SRT's obsession to get to his 100th 100.
Dude, do you look at your own numbers? Have a look at your one day list, for example. See how many games SRT played as compared to Sidhu, Manjrekar, Kambli etc. SRT played 76 games in the time. Sidhu 43, Manjrekar 45 & Kambli 39. ALL had better average than SRT. Can you help understand? And if the assertion is going to be Test cricket, do throw some light on why a middle order Test batsman was allowed to open the innings in LOI?
There you doing what you accused me of doing that basing your judgement on something which you found on internet. Anybody who was watching those four years on Sachin would laugh if you say Sachin was giving long rope. If you have problem with Sachin's end of career why you undermining what he did at the start of the career. Numbers would change significantly if you just pull out first one year 1989 to 1990 from that list. Sidhu was so bad outside India that India had left him out of worl cup 92 team. He has that average probably he made some good scores when England' **** team of 93 came to India and he scored well against them (IIRC, I recall he scored one 100 in Gwalior) and also scored some good runs in Sharjah. Manjrekar was good in 89 and 90 and after that in fact he was himself on long rope. If you take out those years, you would see Majrekar was lucky to play as many matches as he did in that period. Mentioning Kambli, looking at averages is very similar to claiming that he was best indian test batsmen when he was dropped from Indian team (He had a test batting average of 54+. The way people have started deciding how good a player through statsguru, the day is not very far when somebody would claim in all seriousness that Kambli was indeed a better batsmen then Ganguly, Azhar and VVS.) I have absolutely ZERO doubt in saying that Sachin was second best ODI batsman for the India in the period mentioned (after Azhar). If somebody thinks otherwise, let me know who do you think was second best bat and third best bat for the time period given and I'll have an open discussion.