Why do Southie movies have Northie heroines?

Prakat

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/confessions/confessions-of-a-kollywood-assistant-director Confessions of a Kollywood Assistant Director The most senior superstar you can think of [in the Mumbai film industry] is one of the biggest *****-mongers around I chose this profession because I couldnt stand the idea of sitting behind a desk. The first task I was given when I joined was a process known as Gym boy selection ? The film needed muscular men to spout lines and perform stunts, people known as Gym boys ? thanks to their bulky statures and where they got them. The irony is that I ended up interviewing a bunch of themÍÂll sitting behind a desk. Some other junior artistes required on set are Rich boys? Rich girls and Models? Rich girls is film terminology for people who are fairer, usually north Indian, mostly Gujarati. They're lived here all their lives, and tend to wear more Modern clothes. The roles of a heroine's college friends invariably go to these Rich girls? Models are a different category of extras. They're not models. I've heard of certain directors, like Suraj, who call over 15 models and end up just shooting with five. The others were for recreation. This is an industry replete with sexual escapades. It's more rampant in Telugu cinema, though. Madras is a more sober, open-mouthed community, and these days, everybody is begining to get concerned with one'simage. Directors and actors are all trying to be classy, to dress better and lead lives away from the public glare. They feel conscious of the industry's lack of sophistication, compared to Bombay. I've worked in Bollywood briefly. In terms of the casting couch, let me tell you, it's far worse than this; they just do it with style. The most senior superstar you can think of is one of the biggest *****-mongers around. He ends up sleeping with most of his co-stars, which, I have to say, at his age, is commendable. The only difference is he does it with such style, it's not seen as crass behaviour. Another difference is that the Bombay industry tends to be much more professional, partly because they're used to bigger films, and there's more money on the line. But, I would say, the south gives you more value for money. +++ (He has worked in the Tamil film industry for five years) +++ As told to Shruti Ravindran

I've worked in Bollywood briefly. In terms of the casting couch, let me tell you, it's far worse than this; they just do it with style. The most senior superstar you can think of is one of the biggest *****-mongers around. He ends up sleeping with most of his co-stars, which, I have to say, at his age, is commendable. The only difference is he does it with such style, it's not seen as crass behaviour.
I have heard similar stories as well. Even recently this superstar made a foray into malayalam movies, in another south superstar's movie, and i've it from very reliable sources that both of them had a good time (the south superstar is known for his casanova image, and even admitted in interviews). :dance::dance:

Lol why would somebody have a problem with the OP?
Of course not.....It gives chance for people to explore their dark side from their boring fake politically correct lifestyles they have to adopt to please the societ norms :))

where EXACTLY do you suggest the north-south divide occurs? And why?
Not sure about "exactly", but from my personal experience the divide is primarily linguistic. I would say that the states in which Dravidian languages are primarily used would be categorized as South India. As someone from the Hindi speaking belt I can make out conversations in languages like Bengali, Marathi etc. if I know the context and/or have stayed in the region even for a short while. But I have no clue about conversations in South Indian languages and from my perspective that presents the definition of the "divide" you are looking for. Of course, other people might have different experiences or perspectives.

Not sure about "exactly"' date=' but from my personal experience the divide is primarily linguistic. I would say that the states in which Dravidian languages are primarily used would be categorized as South India. As someone from the Hindi speaking belt I can make out conversations in languages like Bengali, Marathi etc. if I know the context and/or have stayed in the region even for a short while. But I have no clue about conversations in South Indian languages and from my perspective that presents the definition of the "divide" you are looking for. Of course, other people might have different experiences or perspectives.[/quote'] I am not so sure.. Its not like the people in North India speak Arabic and the southies cannot speak that.. Most south Indians (apart from the madraasis maybe) speak hindi anyway. And with the advent of cable tv and the proliferation of hindi television serials, game-shows and movies in the south, the language barrier is getting thinner and thinner by the day.. From my own experience, growing up in madras in the late 80s and 90s, the only way for us to ever get exposed to Hindi back in the day was to formally learn hindi, either in school or otherwise. Not many of us had cable and satellite television back then that beamed in hindi movies (doordarshan was an exception, but NOBODY watches doordarshan..) and all my friends/neighbors spoke the local language. It was only in the late 90s and 2000s that I at least began getting exposed to hindi on a daily basis, watching hindi movies and television shows. When you come to comparing north and south indians, the difference is definitely just more than language. There's a huge difference in our cultures, our mind-sets, the way we think/operate. I dont ever like to stereotype (there are all sorts of people everywhere), but by and large, the North Indians are definitely more outgoing, bombastic and adventurous, while an average southie tends to be more reserved, shy and under-stated. And it sort of shows in the way the Indian community in the US has evolved over the years.. Majority of the South Indians prefer to stick to safe 9-5 jobs in the technology sector, while the Northies are more keen on entrepreneurial ventures. And speaking of North and south, I have noticed that the Bongs probably are closer to the South Indians than the northies, when it comes to their attitude/perspective.

Not sure about "exactly"' date=' but from my personal experience the divide is primarily linguistic. I would say that the states in which Dravidian languages are primarily used would be categorized as South India. As someone from the Hindi speaking belt I can make out conversations in languages like Bengali, Marathi etc. if I know the context and/or have stayed in the region even for a short while. But I have no clue about conversations in South Indian languages and from my perspective that presents the definition of the "divide" you are looking for. Of course, other people might have different experiences or perspectives.[/quote'] Cannot agree... I found it easier to embrace hindi than kannada when I moved to bangalore. Agree, that I learnt it in school for sometime helped but it was generally a language I couldn't claim I was really comfortable in. Agree with what Ram said also. I too have a lot of Bong friends whom I find easy to interact with as they more or less share a lot of common interests with us Keralities. (Love for fish, communist heritage, movies etc). My boss is a Mangalorean (kannadiga) who speaks Konkani at his paternal home and Marathi at his own home! Not to say speaks excellent hindi as well! I am not sure with this etymology of Dravidian. As far as my mother tongue is concerned, it is a 50-50 mixture of sanskrit and tamil. Now I am not sure anyone can call sanskrit Dravidian. It also has got loanwords from languages such as Portugese and German! So not sure how this linguistic demarcation holds good in a Northie-southie analysis.

Anushka shetty-shilpa shetty-aishwarya rai are tulu speaking bunts from the region around mangalore to northern kerala.Bunts have their own unique ceremonies and traditions.

So not sure how this linguistic demarcation holds good in a Northie-southie analysis.
:omg: The major language families in india as categorised by scholars are indo aryan(subbranch of indo european) and dravidian. sanskrit does have loan words to the dravidean branch.does not ofcourse mean it belongs to the dravidian branch.
Most south Indians (apart from the madraasis maybe) speak hindi anyway.
don't be swayed by bangalore or hyderebad perspectives.they don't represent karnataka or AP as a whole. AP is around 110 million in population. overall, many parts of south can't speak hindi.

don't be swayed by bangalore or hyderebad perspectives.they don't represent karnataka or AP as a whole. AP is around 110 million in population. overall, many parts of south can't speak hindi.
So true :agree: The choozas from Chennai, the gults from Hyderabad and bevdas from Bangalore think that their states start and end with their cities :giggle:

Of course, I never meant to imply that all of the 300 + million people living in the 4 southern states speak Hindi. When I say Telugu/Kannadigas, I meant those guys who live in urban surroundings and live in social surroundings that gives them an opportunity to mix with North Indians also, whether it be working in IT companies, studying in universities in cities or living abroad.

So true :agree: The choozas from Chennai, the gults from Hyderabad and bevdas from Bangalore think that their states start and end with their cities :giggle:
Since when have you begun speaking on other peoples' behalf? :laugh:

Most south Indians (apart from the madraasis maybe) speak hindi anyway.
Of course' date=' I never meant to imply that all of the 300 + million people living in the 4 southern states speak Hindi. When I say Telugu/Kannadigas, I meant those guys who live in urban surroundings and live in social surroundings that gives them an opportunity to mix with North Indians also, whether it be working in IT companies, studying in universities in cities or living abroad.[/quote'] Most of South India =/= IT working Telugu/Kannadigas :laugh:

Most of South India =/= IT working Telugu/Kannadigas :laugh:
Duh.. Thats why I used the word 'Madrasis', implying people living in the cities. If I wanted to refer to all people, I would have used the words 'Tamil people'. :laugh:

Duh.. Thats why I used the word 'Madrasis'' date=' implying people living in the cities. If I wanted to refer to all people, I would have used the words 'Tamil people'. :laugh:[/quote'] Wear you glasses while reading what you'd posted earlier :laugh: "Most south Indians (apart from the madraasis maybe) speak hindi anyway."

Wear you glasses while reading what you'd posted earlier :laugh: "Most south Indians (apart from the madraasis maybe) speak hindi anyway."
Hmm.. Ok, let me try for the one last time. Most south Indians here implies south Indians living in other major south Indian cities like B'lore H'bad, because the comparison is being made with their counterparts from Madras. If I wanted to imply all of people living in South India, I would have said 'Most South Indians (apart from the Tamils maybe)'. Understand? We are talking about the culture divide b/w North and south Indians when they are in the same setting (i,e, Work, School, Abroad etc). I dont know about you, but I dont think I will ever be wasting time talking about the culture divide b/w someone living in rural AP/TN and a Northie, mainly because of the fact that, most probably, they never get to see each other. :laugh:

Hmm.. Ok, let me try for the one last time. Most south Indians here implies south Indians living in other major south Indian cities like B'lore H'bad, because the comparison is being made with their counterparts from Madras. If I wanted to imply all of people living in South India, I would have said 'Most South Indians (apart from the Tamils maybe)'. Understand? We are talking about the culture divide b/w North and south Indians when they are in the same setting (i,e, Work, School, Abroad etc). I dont know about you, but I dont think I will ever be wasting time talking about the culture divide b/w someone living in rural AP/TN and a Northie, mainly because of the fact that, most probably, they never get to see each other. :laugh:
You could of been this descriptive the first time :phehehe: BTW, the term Madrasi can be used to refer to anyone from South and not just Chennai. The term is derived from Madras India during the British rule. :laugh: