Dhoni vs Bevan

J P K

Dhoni vs Bevan  

1. 1.

also he is big match player too ...and under pressure u can count on him to do well and hitting he showed today was amazing its like old dhoni (batsman) is back i think ever since world cup he has been by far the best odi bat? any one good with stats guru should check
Averages over 95+ after WC with a S/R over 89
You gotta be joking. It was like a glass. Absolute patta. Shrajah was a very high scoring venue. Batting approach was different those days. Those days they would play slowly till 40th over and go after bowling in the last 10. Only Jayasuriya changed that trend. Aravinda de silva even in that era absolutey belted the bowlers.
Mark Greatbatch from New Zealand was the first opening batsman I saw breaking the trend of initial slow scoring. This was during the WC 92. New Zealand sprang a surprise on every one with new batting and bowling innovations and made it effortlessly to the semi finals where they were defeated.
Mark Greatbatch from New Zealand was the first opening batsman I saw breaking the trend of initial slow scoring. This was during the WC 92. New Zealand sprang a surprise on every one with new batting and bowling innovations and made it effortlessly to the semi finals where they were defeated.
Srikkanth did that even before that. But manic hitting started only from Jayasuriya era. First 3 overs 42 runs uneral in a ODI !!
in odis u cant even blame his technique as he has shown he can even play pace bowling well what a batsman..:hatsoff:
Was on a road but when in the mood he even sent Malinga's best to the stands. yWXSFqVDbRk xb8Fq9jt7N0 qx7LUDBHFtA vBlVXvqtFa4 This guy is almost unstoppable in the deaths.
Has to be MSD....Bevan is a go to player while coming in at say 60/5 chasing 225-250 but don't recollect him playing a part in too may 300+ chases. Also Bevan is only a finisher...Dhoni is a more complete ODI batsman.
I understand your line of reasoning for Dhoni but I would be interested in checking the number of 300+ targets Australia chased in which Bevan was a part of the team. This because 300+ scores were not common in ODIs for most part of Bevan's career.

This is not as close as it would seem, i would go with Dhoni every single time. Just about the only criteria Bevan is better than Dhoni is, is at rotating strike. He made death bowling a nightmare by pinching singles all the time but the again, he batted in an era when 250 was a par score. IMO Dhoni is a better finisher because he can crash 20 runs an over quite easily. bevan may tick the scoreboard over better but IMO death batting requires something more these days.

Srikkanth did that even before that. But manic hitting started only from Jayasuriya era. First 3 overs 42 runs uneral in a ODI !!
Srikkanth scored fast, but only relatively. He has an odi career strike rate of only 71 which shows Srikkanth is a bit hyped when it comes to scoring very rapidly. There were no fielding restrictions for the first 15 overs during the earlier days of Srikkanth and it may explain this. I mentioned Greatbatch because he was one of the first openers to score at run a ball or more in nearly all the matches played he played during the world cup. He set the trend for scoring 100 off the first 15 overs which was very unusual for that era. Again, he scored these runs on the green tops of New Zealand where run making is no easy business.

Hard to compare players from different eras. Dhoni plays a lot more limited overs cricket than Bevan did back in the day, but on the other hand the pitches & bowlers had a bit more back in Bevan's time. Same with the Lara vs. Tendulkar vs. Ponting vs. anyone else comparisons. Waste of time arguing. Everyone argues and it doesn't prove anything. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Dhoni for his pure explosiveness but only just.

Srikkanth scored fast' date= but only relatively. He has an odi career strike rate of only 71 which shows Srikkanth is a bit hyped when it comes to scoring very rapidly. There were no fielding restrictions for the first 15 overs during the earlier days of Srikkanth and it may explain this.
not sure whether he was over hyped but he still has a better sr(71.74) than greatbatch's 71.18
I mentioned Greatbatch because he was one of the first openers to score at run a ball or more in nearly all the matches played he played during the world cup. He set the trend for scoring 100 off the first 15 overs which was very unusual for that era. Again, he scored these runs on the green tops of New Zealand where run making is no easy business.
68(60) vs sa 15(16) vs zim 63(77) vs wi 73(77) vs ind 35(37) vs eng 42(67) vs pak 17(22) vs pak:hmmm:
This is not as close as it would seem, i would go with Dhoni every single time. Just about the only criteria Bevan is better than Dhoni is, is at rotating strike. He made death bowling a nightmare by pinching singles all the time but the again, he batted in an era when 250 was a par score. IMO Dhoni is a better finisher because he can crash 20 runs an over quite easily. bevan may tick the scoreboard over better but IMO death batting requires something more these days.
i disagree. dhoni is much better at rotating strike and a very strong runner between the wickets. he is a great judge of a run and can score at over run a ball without hitting a single boundary. that's what makes him an effective ODI batsman, and not the big hitting (which is what he does LATER in his innings). bevan couldn't do a single thing better than dhoni. oh, except maybe bowl chinaman. i'll give him that.
Srikkanth scored fast, but only relatively. He has an odi career strike rate of only 71 which shows Srikkanth is a bit hyped when it comes to scoring very rapidly. There were no fielding restrictions for the first 15 overs during the earlier days of Srikkanth and it may explain this. I mentioned Greatbatch because he was one of the first openers to score at run a ball or more in nearly all the matches played he played during the world cup. He set the trend for scoring 100 off the first 15 overs which was very unusual for that era. Again, he scored these runs on the green tops of New Zealand where run making is no easy business.
Srikkanth's strike rate won't give you much info on what a frenetically aggressive player he was. In some matches his strike rate was over 100 (even in Tests). His strike rate was low due to the fact he played some real slow innings for very low scores. In almost all his big innings his strike rate was very high. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/34103.html?class=2;orderby=batting_strike_rate;template=results;type=batting;view=innings Who would hit Marshall for 6, 4 and get out!. He had pure aggression. Benson hedges series showed what an instincitve hitter he was. Greatbatch is not instinctive stroke player like Srikkanth. NZ grounds are very tiny. Even if you slice the ball, it can go for six. They just used it as a strategy. Outside that world cup Greatbatch did nothing of any note.
I understand your line of reasoning for Dhoni but I would be interested in checking the number of 300+ targets Australia chased in which Bevan was a part of the team. This because 300+ scores were not common in ODIs for most part of Bevan's career.
Plus scoring 300+ against an Aussie attack was always rare compared to Dhoni who get this opportunity every second game because of the poor Indian attack. Having said that, I believe MSD is slightly better than Bevan