Happy Ramadan...

Asim

I have one basic question... Do Sunnis and Shia celebrate Ramadan at the same time? Do you guys drink water/coffee during fast in the day or not even that?
1. yes we do celebrate Ramadan same time and days but diffrence of opinion in sun-rise for start fasting and sun-set for break fasting. just only 5 mins diffrence. not much. 2. we Sunnis and Shias dont eat . we dont drink any kind of water/coffee/tea/juices etc etc.

I have one basic question... Do Sunnis and Shia celebrate Ramadan at the same time? Do you guys drink water/coffee during fast in the day or not even that?
Sometimes the Shia and Sunni Eid might differ by a day as well, due to different opinions on which day the moon is sighted.

What exactly is the purpose of this fasting?
other than religious reasons it might have health benefits .. even hindus do fasting.. my mother use todo fasting on monday until we clean our house , typically she use to eat after 12 only on mondays.. anyway resident ICF doctors can confrm abt the heath benefits

other than religious reasons it might have health benefits .. even hindus do fasting.. my mother use todo fasting on monday until we clean our house , typically she use to eat after 12 only on mondays.. anyway resident ICF doctors can confrm abt the heath benefits
So there are health benefits to fasting half a day and pigging out after the sun goes down? and these benefits cannot be had with a controlled diet.. I wanted to know what exactly the religious reason is. I know hindus fast too mostly once a week. But i have never seen it advertised or celebrated en masse. Ofcourse it is also not as extreme. I did not care for the reasons before but the recent Saudi Arabian law to deport any foreigners that is caught eating or drinking made me ask this question.

@ Zap_Brannigan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan After the sunset, few muslims start eating like its the end of the world .... but most of them takes balanced food .... The Religion didnt stop the muslims to use thre own brain .... The religion said Eat everything but with Blanance .... Its an Individual fault if he/she wants to waste the benefit of Fasting after eating like its the end of the world ..... I personally dont eat much after Sunset .... and about Saudia: Its thre Law of the land (mostly in Arab Countries). and who knows they will change this Law next year .... (Again , The Religion didnt stop them to use thre Brains) In Pakistan or Malaysia you wont find these kind of Laws ....

I think it is only religious, I do not think it is very good for health benefits, may be some doctors at ICF can confirm but Eurologists are very busy during this season as people get Pathri, Tumer etc due to not drinking of water for the whole day.