Tennis at the 2012 London Olympics

Cricketics

Doubles gold will probably not count, Graf won all 4 slams and the Olympic gold in the same year so it was a 'season golden slam' I guess- and that will definitely not happen again. Of course Agassi and Nadal had 'career golden slam too'...

It depends on the characterization and apparently they have changed - the earlier convention was that anyone who won all 4 majors in whatever formats was a Grand Slam winner, so by that definition your extension fits the bill. However, I am willing to bet a $100 that no one will equal Graf's Golden Slam of '88 in my lifetime - I've never seen a tennis player play like that - it didn't hurt that she was good looking too.
Agree that was a bradmanesque Performance :winky: but no one will duplicate Venus william's 3 God medals either to go along with her grandslams in a more competitive power-era....that might just be close to a sachinesque performance :--D

It depends on the characterization and apparently they have changed - the earlier convention was that anyone who won all 4 majors in whatever formats was a Grand Slam winner, so by that definition your extension fits the bill. However, I am willing to bet a $100 that no one will equal Graf's Golden Slam of '88 in my lifetime - I've never seen a tennis player play like that - it didn't hurt that she was good looking too.
Yeah, she was a wonderful player. I don't know whats happened to women's tennis lately - even the no 1 players nowadays are nowhere near the likes of Graff, Hingis, Monica Seles etc.

Agree that was a bradmanesque Performance :winky: but no one will duplicate Venus william's 3 God medals either to go along with her grandslams in a more competitive power-era....that might just be close to a sachinesque performance :--D
But what about the X frames per seconds video clips of Graf - surely you've got to bring them into discussion. :D

Though, on a serious note I find it disappointing that Graf's performance has been "reduced" a bit by the coining of this new terminology of Golden Grand Slam and Career Golden Slam as opposed to simply the Golden Slam. This was quite funny, till I kill the time till the Sania-Paes match: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYxlKbe0WZY]Steffi Graf being proposed for Marriage - YouTube[/ame]

Bogdan Obradovic, captain of the Serbian Davis Cup team, hopes to leave London with at least two medals (one in singles and a double) and obviously can not refrain from offering an opinion about the best player from Serbia, Novak Djokovic: "These Olympics are very important for him. We know how much he loves his country and from the start of the season Roland Garros and the Olympics were the two goals. If he had to choose between Wimbledon and the Olympic Games he certainly would have preferred to win the second event. Novak will try in every way to win the gold. He is in great shape and is mentally ready. " Roger Federer is one of the most dangerous rivals amongst the high caliber of players but Obradovic believes that the Swiss cannot win the tournament: "The Swiss are much more individualistic. I think Federer has never shared a lot of the compatriots’ team atmosphere. We (the Serbs) are more nationalist in such events and this gives us an extra boost. Federer when he plays the Olympics seems rather unmotivated so I do not think he'll be the winner. " http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Obradovic-Novak-Djokovic-can-win-the-Olympics-Federer-is-not-a-nationalist-articolo5031.html Write off Federer at your own peril.Hes made it to the finals yet again. And wheres Djokovic? Win or Lose-I dont care;As a Federer fan, All this is just a bonus now

I've tried watching a few matches' date=' but as I thought it would, tennis at the olympics just doesn't feel right.[/quote'] you wouldn't be saying this if you had watched today's Federer-Del Potro match. Probably one of the best matches played in the entire year.

RVP, yes it didn't feel allrite okay. but You can see how people are dying to see the competiong The other night 2nd round of mens doubles were played by 4 good singles players and the game went to 21-19 in last set. People are dying to get a medal here. Who ever the eff says that Player wants to earn a grandslam over medal, that's all b.s Look at Tsonga vs Raonic game. What a match. Probably the match of the tournament alongside today's game of Federer- Del po

Bogdan Obradovic, captain of the Serbian Davis Cup team, hopes to leave London with at least two medals (one in singles and a double) and obviously can not refrain from offering an opinion about the best player from Serbia, Novak Djokovic: "These Olympics are very important for him. We know how much he loves his country and from the start of the season Roland Garros and the Olympics were the two goals. If he had to choose between Wimbledon and the Olympic Games he certainly would have preferred to win the second event. Novak will try in every way to win the gold. He is in great shape and is mentally ready. " Roger Federer is one of the most dangerous rivals amongst the high caliber of players but Obradovic believes that the Swiss cannot win the tournament: "The Swiss are much more individualistic. I think Federer has never shared a lot of the compatriots team atmosphere. We (the Serbs) are more nationalist in such events and this gives us an extra boost. Federer when he plays the Olympics seems rather unmotivated so I do not think he'll be the winner. " http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Obradovic-Novak-Djokovic-can-win-the-Olympics-Federer-is-not-a-nationalist-articolo5031.html Write off Federer at your own peril.Hes made it to the finals yet again. And wheres Djokovic? Win or Lose-I dont care;As a Federer fan, All this is just a bonus now
I have heard federer talk about Olympic medal many times and he seems quite excited and determined about it.

Did not watch Fed-Del Po, but Murray v Novak was a corker, epic and brutal as youd expect...Murray was excellent and the celebration showed how much it meant to him...it may not 'feel right' but it certainly seems to matter to the players

the quality of matches and desire of players is top, but these guys are multi millionaires already, and are competing alongside athletes who don't even make 5% of what they earn, these are the true olympians, who train for four years on a minimum wage just to fight for gold at the games.

Did not watch Fed-Del Po' date=' but Murray v Novak was a corker, epic and brutal as youd expect...Murray was excellent and the celebration showed how much it meant to him...it may not 'feel right' but it certainly seems to matter to the players[/quote'] +1...good.match