Different varities of cricket you played

kabira

And ofcourse ' date=' this list can NEVER be complete without mentioning the numerous hours i would spend in my house , bouncing the ball off the wall of my bedroom and practicing one particular stroke. I remember seeing Ranatunga's leg glances and glides down to third man in the 96 world cup i practiced it so much that i could play those two shots with my eyes closed.[/quote'] So true. I used to bounce ball in one hand and hit the ball with the bat when it bounces back. Square cut was my favorite shot in that game. If you have played cricket in local grounds, most of the fights was concentrated on these: 1. Scores. There used to be two scorers, one from both teams. Even those scores used to never match. 2. LBW laws. So much that LBW was banned in most matches. 3. runouts and stumpings. Umpires used to get the most gaalis and bats sometimes.

in india, we played with the back wheel of a cycle as the stump or we drew stumps on the wall and played... rules like, if the balls hits the window its out... if it goes outside the ground (direct) then out...when we had less players, rules like one bounce out and 2nd bounce 1 hand out would be used:haha: no lbws either :P

OK. Kabira..my cricket game i don't know how many have played this form of cricket... when i was in calcutta...we used to play this game where the ball used to be of the size of "neembu" made up of wood...and bat used to be very small in size...though handle used to be bigger and only under arm bowling was allowed... on a pitch varying between 5-8 mtrs...ball used to spin like magic...but thumb used to get sour very easily... there used to be tournaments among grown up boys...for this kind of cricket... in calcutta...we had club in every galli..so used to be a sort of match involving 5-6 local clubs... i have got many "golgappas" on my forehead while fielding ....but it was fun... Kabira..ab yaar woh Jagjit singh wala gaan yaad aa raha hai... "mujhko lauta do ..bachpan ka saawan.. woh kagaz ki kashti..woh baarish ka paani".. Cricketics: translate it for Donny..:haha:

1. "One tip". Me and my friends played this game in our apartment building during the monsoon season when it would be p*ssing down with rain. There would be an area in the middle of every floor (between the lobbies) where the elevators would be. It was a pretty small area, but still wide enough to swing the bat around. There would be four of us - one batting, one bowling, two "fielding". You couldn't be bowled out (no stumps), so the bowler would just pitch it up. The only way you could get out was if you were caught. One tip had one rule - the fielder could allow the ball to bounce once before he caught it; that would count as a dismissal. The batsman had to carefully defend and ground every single ball. Whoever survived the most deliveries won. Since it was such a small area, it was impossible to last longer than 2 overs. The games were pretty intense though; we would be diving around, banging our knees on the granite floor, throwing our arms everywhere (you needed super-quick reflexes) trying to catch the ball. Crazy stuff 2. "Hand cricket". In my school, kids who were in classes below 9th grade weren't allowed to bring cricket gear. No bats, no balls, nothing. Anyone caught with a ball would get punished (banned from recess for 2 weeks). So what a bunch of us would do during recess is collect foil from one another (which our lunch was wrapped in) and mould it into something resembling a ball. You had to whack the ball with your hand. The game wouldn't last long, as the bits of foil would break apart after 15 minutes or so. One day, i took the law into my own hands and brought a little squash ball. Wrapped foil and paper around it, taped it up. It was bouncing like crazy and soon every kid in the entire class wanted to play with it. The snot-nosed, zit-faced monitors would soon notice that this wasn't a real ball and I got told on by some shameless teacher's pets who i would later beat up

Some of you are real loonies. :hysterical:

And ofcourse , this list can NEVER be complete without mentioning the numerous hours i would spend in my house , bouncing the ball off the wall of my bedroom and practicing one particular stroke. I remember seeing Ranatunga's leg glances and glides down to third man in the 96 world cup i practiced it so much that i could play those two shots with my eyes closed.
Ahahahaha. I used to do the same. While 'studying', I used to keep catching the ball off the wall in front of my desk. I also used to throw the ball at the wall from a distance and run in and dive to take an outstanding catch whilst landing safely on my bed. Of course, that catch would be to win the world cup final. One tip one hand was quite common. As as hitting the numerous flower pots in my garden directly, each of which was a fielder. :D In Delhi, some of the parks used to be congested. So we use to have only on side front of the wicket runs. And sometimes baby overs(3 balls only) the 'bowler' who turned out to be $hite. :hysterical: Heck, I've even played cricket in room whilst preparing for my masters' exams. Sitting on the carpet and marking various bits of furniture as fielders, I've played cricket with my friends using my notebook as a bat. I remember making a 350 once. Only spin bowling allowed though.:laugh: BTW even today when I hold an apple, before eating it, I spin it using my wrists from the right hand to the left like Warney did before spinning the ball. :laugh: I also do a mock Donald impression with puffed cheeks when I walk in a narrow passage where no one can see me at work. :bird:
there was this very strange game i use to play in class... we had Reynolds Jetter pen..just introduced in india...at that time..i believe.. we has one desk for two students....as each of us would take our our pen..and put it in the middle of the desk in a straight line.. now the game was to strike the opponent pen out of the desk..by striking the the pen with carrom style.. man how we used to make our pen heavy....strings....cello tapes...papers.... used to be fun....broke so many pen...playing this game...
good memories.. this game was called "pen fight" we used to play this alot..

Ok , i will confess a bit more here... I am in love with fast bowlers and their mannerisms. If ever i am alone , i am always running up in the house , bowling a real quick delivery , complete with all the follow through , stares et al . Only , all of this would be done without a ball in my hand. This practice gives me great sense of satisfaction , but the problem arises when i have unexpected visitors. Many times , there have been people who have been shocked to see me running like crazy inside my house , grunting loudly or staring menacingly at the wall for 2 mins. Those occasions are always uncomfortable to handle. On most times , all i can manage is a sheepish grin. P.S - And because the house sometimes runs out before i complete the follow through, i dont mind banging my shoulder against the wall. Mind you, this would be when i would be still running at decent speeds. There was one ocassion when my mom saw me banging against the wall , and thought her son had gone insane. Had a tough time convincing her that i was O.K

BTW even today when I hold an apple' date=' before eating it, I spin it using my wrists from the right hand to the left like Warney did before spinning the ball. :laugh: I also do a mock Donald impression with puffed cheeks when I walk in a narrow passage where no one can see me at work. :bird:[/quote'] ahahahah so I'm not the only nutter around that spins fruit before eating it. And walking in a narrow passage with noone around = fast bowler impression time :D
in your street.
1) The first kind of cricket I remember playing was where the boy who owned the bat was the king. No questions asked. We would get together in some old ground, clean the bushes and get a working wicket. A slab of bricks would add as a wicket. In those days the wicket-keeper's job was to stand close and when no-one was watching, just push the wicket and all bricks came crashing down. This was often done when your team was losing. The batsman would contest he was not out and we would walk away shouting, "Be-imaan, issiliye noone plays with you guys!". Back to the topic. The man who owned the bat was the king. Often he would keep batting even when he was dismissed. If other objected he would just tuck his bat under his armpit and run away. So much so that after a few years we had a full time person on the gate of the ground whose sole objective was to prevent any such take-off. 2) The second form was played on top of my terrace with my brother. The ball was a roundabout thingy made out of paper and clothe. Did not swing, did not seam but boy did it hurt when it hit you. Most of the time me and my brother would play 10 a side. He being England me being India and so on. Thats how I learned to bowl every bowlers action(and forgot my own!). This was even more fun when my younger sister would join us. We would let her play a ball and then send her to get us Rasna or some other cool drink with a "Thats the job of the XII th man"...Seriously if only I could treat all girls like that! 3) Third form was in the streets where the best sight was when a fielder while chasing a catch would collide with a cyclewallah. This was also the time when girls started appearing on balcony while we played. As in other parts of the country one was out if he hit the ball inside a house but that did not stop a few of us from hitting the ball right in the "saamne wali khidki". Two memories stand out. One when I hit a six that landed smack at the center of a woman's bottom as she passed by. And then she chased us around the park with a jhadoo and a hand up her butt. Second was when we were playing and hit a ball in this gentleman's house. He was in 40s and was on his terrace and so one of us said, "Chacha ball do na"(Uncle give us the ball). He looks angrily at us, we thinking he is pissed at us for hitting ball in his house, then says, "Chacha kisko kahta hai, bhaiya bolo"(Who are you calling Uncle, call me Brother). xxx