Sachin's so-called dissent

Hawkeye

Can you believe this...? "After the Sachin dismissal yesterday Ian Chappell kept saying that Sachin would get a call and a few words from the match referee. Apparently he thought that Sachin, brushing off his arm guard first, and then waving his hand and giving a wry smile to the umpire constituted dissent in HIS opinion. Firsty the incident. Sachin was GIVEN out off a ball that brushed his arm guard. Sachin brushed his arm guard but never showed it to the umpire. So Mr Chappell was wrong there first. Secondly Sachin was clearly disappointed at being given out and just waved his hand. Sourav did the same thing in the Test series as have done numerous other players in numerous other games. I really fail to understand how some things get magnified suddenly in the eyes of the high and mighty commentators like Ian Chappell. Of course the ICC does not have any regulations for bowlers regarding dissent. A bowler appeals and if it is turned down can groan, whinge, clutch his hair, shout out a few abuses to the batsmen, grab his sweater from the umpire, but those are just expressions of disappointment. After all dissent is a term only meant for batsmen. It is the batsmen who have to set an example for sporting behaviour!" ( From i3j3 Cricket.wordpress.com)

If he is going stand around and keep staring at the umpire every time he thinks he is not out , its just a matter of time before he gets into trouble with the match refree. And from what i have seen of Sachin so far , he generally doesnt show so much "Dissent" if given bad decsion. He just gives a sarcastic smile and walks away briskly. Maybe , now at the fag end of the career , he feels the need for more landmarks and therefore is desperate for centuries.

How does it matter yaar. No body remembers.. Unless he start to show his disappointment on the field, ICC will not even take a notice. I strongly believe that we need some1 from Asia to give some stupid decisions against, Eng and Aussies. Tab taq yeh log nahi samjhenge... Lato ke bhoottt haiii..:confused_smile:

I saw no dissent but simply a demonstration of disbelief and frustration which is hardly surprising given the earlier erroneous lbw dismissal in the test series. Speaking to someone who was at the ground itself sitting behind the bowler's arm I was told that even from that distance the dismissal was obviously wrong.

Meanwhile Botham on air continues to applaud Tendulkar for taking the decision in his stride and walking away without making a fuss. Ian Chappell is sounding more like a lose cannon these days. We should have a hall of shame and put together all the Ian Chappell's articles and rants in there. :D

Ponting is legendary when it comes to relations with umpires. I can't think of any umpire he hasn't had a problem with. It will be interesting to know how many times he has been fined by the referees? If you are one of the more popular players you can get away usually.