Odisha youth arrested for uploading objectionable picture on Facebook

rageaddict

Even in the country with the most free speech ever' date= even in a country like the US, would have booked this person because he was not expressing himself, he didnt have an opinion or a point. He was just intentionally provoking people and wanted to insult people. So where a show like SouthPark which mocks religions is ok because of their intention, a person like the one in the OP, whose only reason is to provoke people is not. Surely you can see the distinction?
No. They did not arrest the priest who was burning Quran in Florida. 4 people died in aftermath in afghanistan. What do you think he was doing. Now please don't twist the facts to suit your reality. :king:

If people cannot take a facebook posting by a Kid.Then we have to change mentality not arrest someone. Some of his friends might have spread it otherwise its impossible to know.Every minute thousands of insensitive pics are posted ,you got to ignore them.

Even in the country with the most free speech ever' date= even in a country like the US, would have booked this person because he was not expressing himself, he didnt have an opinion or a point. He was just intentionally provoking people and wanted to insult people. So where a show like SouthPark which mocks religions is ok because of their intention, a person like the one in the OP, whose only reason is to provoke people is not. Surely you can see the distinction?
No he would never be booked in the US. Artists here have freely sculpted and painted the most offensive stuff for religions especially Christianity. For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ .

Aah, now we enter a grey area of discussion. Personally I am against all censoring and am completely for the freedom of speech but I will come to that later In Hussein's case though I dont believe his art insulted the hindu religion in any way. Naked deities has been drawn and depicted for centureis in India. I will also come back to the intention thing. Hussein's painting were an expression of art and he was not deliberately trying to insitigate or insult anyone. In this case, the intention was to intentionally create tension. Even in the most secular of country with free speech, this is never tolerated. Even if you take an example of a country like US with free speech, people like Hussain or South Park which mocks religion will not be booked but people like this facebook poster, who didnt have a point, was not expressing himself in anyway, but his sole intention was to insult and provoke others will be booked. I am all for free speech and freedom of expression. But if someone goes out of the way to insult someone thats not free speech, thats hate crime
Hussain's paintings were far from the aesthetic nudes seen in ancient Indian art. As an example of Hussain's perversion - he painted Goddess Durga having intercourse with a lion, which would certainly be deeply offensive to devout Hindus.

Freedom of speech is deeply enshrined in the US constitution and is massively protected from all ends. Countries like the UK have provisions to restrict speech that is liable to disrupt peace and Germany has free speech as long as it's not denying the holocaust etc.

Hussain's paintings were far from the aesthetic nudes seen in ancient Indian art. As an example of Hussain's perversion - he painted Goddess Durga having intercourse with a lion' date=' which would certainly be deeply offensive to devout Hindus.[/quote'] If people found it offensive they should learn to deal with it and move on, registering their protest in a peaceful manner if they feel strongly about it. The vandalism and violent suppression of Hussain's freedom of expression and its defense by apologists is what should be condemned

We need a functioning and visible forum where such points of contention can be discussed with all concerned parties. Parliament is defunct and TV debates are shallow at best. This notion of "protesting" against some expression that is even milding deviating from the accepted canon is ridiculous and counterproductive. People standing around with placards that are basically telling the government:"Take away our rights!", "Curtail our freedom!" instead of taking issue with the individuals they take issue with their rights! Notice that the question is never: Why did he do this?" it's always, "How can he do this?" or "How can we allow this?" "How to protest effectively and without shooting yourself in the foot en masse" needs to be added to school curiculum if this is to change.

We need a functioning and visible forum where such points of contention can be discussed with all concerned parties. Parliament is defunct and TV debates are shallow at best. This notion of "protesting" against some expression that is even milding deviating from the accepted canon is ridiculous and counterproductive. People standing around with placards that are basically telling the government:"Take away our rights!", "Curtail our freedom!" instead of taking issue with the individuals they take issue with their rights! Notice that the question is never: Why did he do this?" it's always, "How can he do this?" or "How can we allow this?" "How to protest effectively and without shooting yourself in the foot en masse" needs to be added to school curiculum if this is to change.
:two_thumbs_up: Interestingly despite this in India people are less afraid of the cops and in the US they are more afraid of the cops. The more I think about it - the more I feel that people like anarchy.

No he would never be booked in the US. Artists here have freely sculpted and painted the most offensive stuff for religions especially Christianity. For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ .
Yes, isnt that what I meant. the example in your link was done for art not intentionaly to provoke someone. Now you can argue I wouldnt know the intention of the person who posted on facebook either and I will concede though I have doubts he wanted anything other than to instigate. You might also argue that the art in your link was purposefully dont to create a controversy but where do you draw the line when it comes to art?

Yes' date=' isnt that what I meant. the example in your link was done for art not intentionaly to provoke someone. Now you can argue I wouldnt know the intention of the person who posted on facebook either and I will concede though I have doubts he wanted anything other than to instigate. You might also argue that the art in your link was purposefully dont to create a controversy but where do you draw the line when it comes to art?[/quote']I am just stating that in the US he would not have been booked at all. You can say, write, paint the vilest, most racist, provocative stuff but unless you explicitly call for violence, you are on the right side of the law in the US. What this person in Odisha has done is almost innocuous compared to what goes on in the US.

Aah, now we enter a grey area of discussion. Personally I am against all censoring and am completely for the freedom of speech but I will come to that later In Hussein's case though I dont believe his art insulted the hindu religion in any way. Naked deities has been drawn and depicted for centureis in India. I will also come back to the intention thing. Hussein's painting were an expression of art and he was not deliberately trying to insitigate or insult anyone. In this case, the intention was to intentionally create tension. Even in the most secular of country with free speech, this is never tolerated. Even if you take an example of a country like US with free speech, people like Hussain or South Park which mocks religion will not be booked but people like this facebook poster, who didnt have a point, was not expressing himself in anyway, but his sole intention was to insult and provoke others will be booked. I am all for free speech and freedom of expression. But if someone goes out of the way to insult someone thats not free speech, thats hate crime
Far from the truth. KG8EOWkP_U8 Wrap on the hands. That is all you get for asking the president to be assassinated and not showing remorse for those comments in US.

A 23-year-old man in Odisha's Sundergarh district was booked for posting objectionable content on social networking site Facebook, police said on Tuesday. The man, who runs a small business at the steel city of Rourkela, about 500 km from here, allegedly made some objectionable remarks in his post against Prophet Muhammad, the founder of Islam. A case was registered after some residents spotted the post and informed the police, Arun Swain, in charge of the local police station, told IANS. Further investigation is on, he said. The man has been accused of promoting enmity between different groups on ground of religion and making deliberate attempt to outrage the religious feelings, Swain added. http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Bhubaneswar/Odisha-Man-booked-for-objectionable-FB-post/Article1-998051.aspx Another Blasphemy case and this is not Pakistan , its India . Beware everybody, Great Islam and Holy Muhamad are above any sort of critcism and anything said against them is enough to get you arrested on charges of promoting enemity in Secular India. Justifies the arrest of the two girls in Thackeray's case once again.

They should close down the comment system.
How will the Rourkela businessman then analyze & discuss important topics :cantstop: BTW there's umpteen videos that are offensive, we should ban youtube & facebook entirely just like our esteemed neighbor :orderorder:

Well' date=' slap me tender. Artists do their thing [u']precisely to provoke. Is it habitual for you to cook up theories and manufacture facts to suit your ill conceived arguments?
Err, really? which artists, the cheap ones in your bastis? True artists do arts only for arts and creativity's sake