'Close to 20' dead in Connecticut school shooting,

vvvslaxman

He won't. Democrats are as screwed up as Republicans. Its not the point though. The stumbling block for all things gun control is NOT DNC but Republicans. I am sure you know that
The problem is the Dems come with half-assed gun control laws, and don't have the ba**$ to enforce even those. See Chicago and NYC. Other than pass "lip-service laws," what have the Dems done for the 3000 kids who die every year in gun violence? And now he shows up and cries on TV, and everyone is impressed.

NYT article on the mom's fascination with guns http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/nyregion/friends-of-gunmans-mother-his-first-victim-recall-her-as-generous.html?_r=0 I have a number of questions: (1) The mother: Yes, she is dead. But doesn't bear a huge responsilibity for this incident? Where were her parental responsibilitis? She knew Adam was mentally ill, but she took him to the shooting range and gave him access to her guns. She should have kept the guns in a location that only she could access. (2) The guns: The article says that all the weapons he used were legally purchased by his mother and kept in her house. What? The Bushmaster .223 is not legal in Connecticut - based on their Justice Dept website. Something's not right. (3) Cold-hard statistics: Ignoring Ram's advice to not reduce this incident to cold-hard statistics, one has to do so to make rational decisions. First, mass-killings of this nature are very rare. Shouldn't we focus on the 3000 kids who are killed each year by guns in the US? The ones you don't hear about because they don't die in suburban middle-class/affluent neighborhoods. They are kids in drug-war infested inner-cities like Chicago and NYC killing one another or getting caught in the cross-fire. If the deaths are sad, our apathy to them is appalling! Here is the conundrum - Chicago and NYC have the most stringent gun-control laws. But the rate of shooting-deaths in these cities is higher than most places. Why is that so? It is because street-criminals and the mentally-ill (like Lanza) brazenly don't give a damn. Where is the ENFORCEMENT? The only solution is to get the military and police to disarm everyone who is not police or military. And then review everyone's need for a weapon, and mental and physical ability to wield one. And then enforce gun laws strictly. Anyone caught with an illegal weapon goes to prison for at least 5 years. Anyone who allows their legal weapon get into their child's hands go to prison for at least 5 years. No questions asked. Any other measure is half-assed and will not work. Can it be done? PS: I am very serious. This is where I part from the Republican-view on gun-control. I am also vehemently against the lip-service gun-control laws that Democrats want to pass.
I voted Obama and have very liberal views, but gun-control issues/laws in the country is a republican blame more than a Dem one. Liberals want assault weapon ban that Clinton introduced and expired in 2004. Why didn't Bush extend it? That's because he was playing to the conservative base that is in bed with NRA. That probably won him the re-election along with the wars. Since 2004, the sale of semi-automatic weapons have increased despite some states banning it because they can go purchase it online or in some other state legally. I think the Mom was totally to be blamed for this crime as much as the son. I have no sympathy for her and she paid a price for her carelessness - her life and those of 26 others for no fault of theirs. What was her need to own a semi-automatic weapon and keep it so accessible to the kid. Unless people change within and stop owning unwanted weapons just for a hobby, no amount of laws will help the situation. Tightening the gun laws have shown results in NYC, ask Bloomberg who is a kind of spokesperson for such kind of laws. He calls Obama a wimp on his opinion on gun laws and he is a model to follow. I wish him would run in 2016, but is not winnable in the south.

If democrats move to ban all guns, they will never get reelected again. Ever. They did segregation and lost the south forever. If they attempt gun ban, it'll be political suicide and they know it. At least I hope they make it difficult to get guns; like requiring a psychology report. Or limit ak47 like guns. We shall see.

The problem is the Dems come with half-assed gun control laws' date=' and don't have the ba**$ to enforce even those. See Chicago and NYC. Other than pass "lip-service laws," what have the Dems done for the 3000 kids who die every year in gun violence? [b']And now he shows up and cries on TV, and everyone is impressed.
Really? Who is impressed? Most folks I know switched from the live address to Patriots-49ers game ongoing. You are misplaced in thinking Obama is getting any sympathy votes. People are ticked off at him, and politicians in general. There are no winners in this, only losers. The biggest one being the public.

The problem is the Dems come with half-assed gun control laws' date=' and don't have the ba**$ to enforce even those. See Chicago and NYC. Other than pass "lip-service laws," what have the Dems done for the 3000 kids who die every year in gun violence? And now he shows up and cries on TV, and everyone is impressed.[/quote'] I like how you make this a problem of the democrats :giggle: This is another one of those bollocks arguments, your fellow right wingers are all cuckoo for guns and the freaks you admire (Cantor, Ryan etc) actually support not requiring gun registration. Forget sales, these guys don't want to let the govt keep track of some group gathers 100s of assault rifles in their compound. How can there be a proper discussion on gun control when the house majority leader and his fellow cons reject even basic registration ?

This USA gun issue seems like so many Indian issues (eg. reservation, super minority rights) Where many people of the country don't seem to understand why the government continues to persist with what can be termed as ridiculously policies. Many people hates their policies yet their are big lobby groups who have direct influnces to the vote-bank and thus power. If the great nation, USA can have the similar kind of problem, our solution can never come.

NYT article on the mom's fascination with guns http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/16/nyregion/friends-of-gunmans-mother-his-first-victim-recall-her-as-generous.html?_r=0 I have a number of questions: (1) The mother: Yes, she is dead. But doesn't bear a huge responsilibity for this incident? Where were her parental responsibilitis? She knew Adam was mentally ill, but she took him to the shooting range and gave him access to her guns. She should have kept the guns in a location that only she could access. .
We dont know that she gave him access to the guns. when I was 15 years old, there were no locks in the house I couldnt pick or find the keys for. No secret places you could hide stuff. Are you seriously saying there are places in your house you can hide stuff from a 20 year old who is desperate to reach them? Also is it confrimed he was mentally unstable? We only have statements of a couple of his old school friends who 'felt' like he had a mental issue because he kept quiet.
(2) The guns: The article says that all the weapons he used were legally purchased by his mother and kept in her house. What? The Bushmaster .223 is not legal in Connecticut - based on their Justice Dept website. Something's not right.
How difficult is it to legally purchase the weapon(s) in a different state and then bring it back to Connecticut?
(3) Cold-hard statistics: Ignoring Ram's advice to not reduce this incident to cold-hard statistics, one has to do so to make rational decisions. First, mass-killings of this nature are very rare. Shouldn't we focus on the 3000 kids who are killed each year by guns in the US? The ones you don't hear about because they don't die in suburban middle-class/affluent neighborhoods. They are kids in drug-war infested inner-cities like Chicago and NYC killing one another or getting caught in the cross-fire. If the deaths are sad, our apathy to them is appalling! Here is the conundrum - Chicago and NYC have the most stringent gun-control laws. But the rate of shooting-deaths in these cities is higher than most places. Why is that so? It is because street-criminals and the mentally-ill (like Lanza) brazenly don't give a damn. Where is the ENFORCEMENT?
Again how difficult is it to get guns from places where they are legal and bring it to NYC, etc? State wide bans are never going to work until there is a country wide ban
The only solution is to get the military and police to disarm everyone who is not police or military. And then review everyone's need for a weapon, and mental and physical ability to wield one. And then enforce gun laws strictly. Anyone caught with an illegal weapon goes to prison for at least 5 years. Anyone who allows their legal weapon get into their child's hands go to prison for at least 5 years. No questions asked. Any other measure is half-assed and will not work. Can it be done? PS: I am very serious. This is where I part from the Republican-view on gun-control. I am also vehemently against the lip-service gun-control laws that Democrats want to pass.
I dont believe you have to be that strict(bringing military) if the people are willing to trust each other. Here's what they did in Australia when a mass shooting happened http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/16/opinion/australia-gun-laws/ Here's what happened in the UK http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/17/world/europe/dunblane-lessons/ Now the success of the gun control laws in those countries can be debated, but none of the fear mongering stuff republicans bring up were true in those cases. Criminal activities didnt shoot up. Innocent citizens didnt suffer because they had no defense. Illegal guns didnt flow in. At worst the situation only slightly improved, but it sure didnt get worse as all the anti-gun controls seem to claim I am surprised at the aparrent distrust Americans have of each other and their lack of belief in the simple goodness of people. In Australia, most people voluntarily gave up guns, even criminals. Yet Americans dont trust this will happen with them. Come on, you are citizens of one of the greatest nation in the world, why would you live in constant fear of crime and your own government to the point that you need fire-arms to defend yourself?

I am surprised at the aparrent distrust Americans have of each other and their lack of belief in the simple goodness of people. In Australia, most people voluntarily gave up guns, even criminals. Yet Americans dont trust this will happen with them. Come on, you are citizens of one of the greatest nation in the world, why would you live in constant fear of crime and your own government to the point that you need fire-arms to defend yourself?
+1. And would their pea shooters be of any use if the govt indeed turned on them? :((

Shooter had Asperger's Syndrome which is a form of an autism which makes it difficult for the person to fit in socially. And no, this had nothing to do with the shooting but perhaps it shows that the shooter might have experienced difficult childhood and social interaction in school. Perhaps he was bullied in school growing up and perhaps in his own social life as well. May be this is one of catalyst that led to his bizarre behavior or may be it's not related at all. We will perhaps never know.

Shooter had Asperger's Syndrome which is a form of an autism which makes it difficult for the person to fit in socially. And no' date=' this had nothing to do with the shooting but perhaps it shows that the shooter might have experienced difficult childhood and social interaction in school. Perhaps he was bullied in school growing up and perhaps in his own social life as well. May be this is one of catalyst that led to his bizarre behavior or may be it's not related at all. We will perhaps never know.[/quote'] But is it confirmed yet that he did have that disease? Link please? All I read was some old classmates guessing he might have it

Shooter had Asperger's Syndrome which is a form of an autism which makes it difficult for the person to fit in socially. And no' date=' this had nothing to do with the shooting but perhaps it shows that the shooter might have experienced difficult childhood and social interaction in school. Perhaps he was bullied in school growing up and perhaps in his own social life as well. May be this is one of catalyst that led to his bizarre behavior or may be it's not related at all. We will perhaps never know.[/quote'] Might have experienced? He did experience. All the testimonials say that Lanza used to keep to himself. he never interacted with anyone. Read this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/adam-lanza-a-head-full-of-video-games-and-a-house-full-of-guns-8421066.html Seems as if his mother was a crackhead also. She was "fond" of guns. Used to regularly take Lanza to shooting ranges.

Americans like to hide behind Psychology in most cases. Even when Abu Gharib came into light, they were discussing how war affects one's psychology and turn perfect gentlemen into torturing monsters. There are plenty of kids and adults around the world with varying degrees of problems. How many of them go out on a murder spree? Why it happens so much in the US and not outside?

Americans like to hide behind Psychology in most cases. Even when Abu Gharib came into light, they were discussing how war affects one's psychology and turn perfect gentlemen into torturing monsters. There are plenty of kids and adults around the world with varying degrees of problems. How many of them go out on a murder spree? Why it happens so much in the US and not outside?
+1 and providing access to guns that can fire 100 rounds in 60 secs; how the ***** does that help? It is an irony that a nation so developed can be so stupid and ignorant in this regard

I just read that sales of guns went off the roof after this incident. Why the hell are people buying more guns now... for protection? Hope there is no twisted guy among these buyers' date=' who got inspired by this shootout.[/quote'] Yeah apparently in one store 2000 guns or ammo or whatever were sold in 4 days after this incident