Australia Tour of India 2013 |Feb-Mar|  

1. 1.

• Dhawan
    • Dinda
    • Ojha
    • Rahane

Wade confident pacers will do the job in India

153195.jpg

Ahead of Australia's first match of their tour of India, Matthew Wade said the focus would be on getting acclimatized to the conditions. Speaking on Monday (February 11), a day before the Australians two-day match against a Board President XI, Wade also dispelled suggestions that Australia would emulate England and go for a two-pronged spin attack, saying the pacemen could do the required job. It would be great if the top five or six can get in and have a good, long innings in these conditions and get used to the wicket and the heat. Also, Peter Siddle and James Pattinson haven't bowled a lot in the last few months, and if they can get a few overs under their belt in a match scenario, it would be good for us. And, definitely, play some spin. I'm not 100% sure where Watson will bat, or where the top order will go, he said. We've got Phil (Hughes), Shane (Watson), Usman (Khawaja) and Ed (Cowan) who all open the batting for Australia, which I think is a good thing. I'm not sure what combination will go with that. It's probably for Michael (Clarke) and the selectors to work out. But whoever goes in will do the right job, I'm sure. I saw a bit of the England series and in the last Test especially, the England quicks took a lot of wickets, he said. We've got a great fast bowling attack, we've got Siddle, Pattinson, Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Johnson, along with a couple of spinners. I'm not sure which way we'll go but I'm sure the quicks will do a good job. Reverse swing is a big thing in India as well. The guys in the Indian team, they're very, very good batters. They're very experienced, especially in these conditions. We know how hard it is to win in India. So, we've got to work hard in the next 10-15 days to be ready to go in the first Test match. India come in to the series on the back of a 1-2 loss to England. Asked if, against that backdrop, this was a good time to be playing India, Wade was dismissive. ŵhere were a lot of people saying that when South Africa came to Australia and when Sri Lanka came to play us, he said. We used that to fuel our fire a bit. There's no way coming to India is easy. It's going to be a tough series, especially in these conditions.
http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-news/wade-confident-pacers-job-india/50377 Wade will lead Australia in the tour game against Board XI.

Australia state broadcaster dumps India Tests

Australia's public broadcaster said on Tuesday that it will not broadcast or report live from the upcoming cricket Test series in India after deciding not to pay inflated rights fees. The ABC said it could not afford the broadcast rights fees demanded by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), understood to be much higher for the four-Test series beginning February 22 than previous Australian tours. It had still intended to send veteran radio commentator Jim Maxwell, but the BCCI refused him accreditation. "It is really disappointing," an ABC spokeswoman told AFP. It will result in it being covered through the news just like a news item but there won't be any feeds, certainly not ball-by-ball coverage." "We are leaning on Cricket Australia to help out because this means that there is no free-to-air broadcast of what's happening over there," the spokeswoman said. Maxwell said the BCCI instead offered him a place in a VIP box for the entire series. However, he said this invitation came "with the proviso that if I wish to report on proceedings, because I am not a rights holder, I'll have to leave the ground". "So, obviously that is unacceptable to the ABC and we've decided not to go," he told the broadcaster. "Essentially it seems as though the fact that we didn't take up the rights, they feel as though as a radio reporter I don't have a position there. I am not able to report live from the ground."
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketnext/aus-state-broadcaster-dumps-india-tests-due-to-bcci-prices/372300-78.html

Dhoni & Co. ask for square turners for the Aus series

These are whispers but, mind you, they are pretty loud. The ploy may have backfired against England, but the Indian team management still wants ÅÑitches that will turn from Day One itself for the upcoming Test series against Australia. Chennai will host the first Test from February 22 onwards and the teamÃÔ ÅÓequirements have already been conveyed to the men who matter. The venues for the next three Tests Hyderabad, Chandigarh and New Delhi will obviously follow suit. źes, itÃÔ true. We have been told to prepare a turner, a square turner. ThatÃÔ our teamÃÔ strength, a source told DNA in Chennai. Å£ut I donÃÕ know if thatÃÔ the way to go about things. We should prepare a sporting wicket. Now whatÃÔ a sporting wicket? It should aid pacers on Day One, ease out on the second day and assist spinners from the third day onwards. But what if MS Dhoni loses the toss? Then the side batting first will call the shots. I guess India want to negate the toss factor, the source, very much part of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA), added. Å£ut we have no choice. If they want a turner, we will prepare one. Our curator (K Parthasarathy, in charge of the Chepauk pitch for over four decades now) has been told to do the needful,Ǽ/B] the person said, requesting anonymity.
http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_wish-list-for-chennai-test-square-turner_1799778 So once again the focus is on the pitch rather than on the preparation for the series. No lessons learnt from the debacle vs England, no one perhaps cares. Instead of a 7 day long camp as proposed, Dhoni & Co. got it shortened to a 4 days camp and now again the pitch talk will hog the limelight before such an important series. A turning pitch will make the Maxwells and Lyon much more dangerous than they are and the their pacers will be doubly lethal with their attacking lines and lengths. NAnother series loss coming up and it will once again be a well deserved loss for our own incompetence.