The Congress Thread: Tracking India's Grand Old Party

jairamesh

Rahul focuses on strategy for a No NaMo 2019 Its more about stopping Modi than becoming king yourself. The congress will strategically weaken its structure (like Bihar and UP) in order to keep the BJP out. Rahul is right in assuming he has time on his side. He will be 49 in 2019 and 54 in 2024. The like of Jayalalitha or Mulayam becoming a joint CM candidate just became real for 2019. Keeping this in mind its about time the BJP stop fighting with its allies and make attempts to gain new allies. Make friends.....
It's nothing new. In 2014 LS, Congress also had the same strategy at post-poll level, anybody but Modi. And they were so overconfident that they would win but they received a big trashing instead. Thus, now they are so afraid and defensive that they look to over-compromise with parties at pre-polls level. And BJP understand the importance of allies, thus, they ally with PDP. It broke the existing cycle and build some new chapters. Also, it's their allies which are more at fault with some extreme demands. BJP can't be so intimated easily by allies. Had it been a old guard leadership still after 2014, today we would have Haryana CM from HJC and SS for Maharashtra CM. So a big welcome change in the last 2 years.

Rahul focuses on strategy for a No NaMo 2019 http://www.sunday-guardian.com/news/rahul-focuses-on-strategy-for-a-no-namo-2019 This is what i feared. There is a saying in marathi "na mala na tula, ghal kutarayla" (I dont gain, but i take you down with me so you dont gain and some third person gains). Its more about stopping Modi than becoming king yourself. The congress will strategically weaken its structure (like Bihar and UP) in order to keep the BJP out. Rahul is right in assuming he has time on his side. He will be 49 in 2019 and 54 in 2024. The like of Jayalalitha or Mulayam becoming a joint CM candidate just became real for 2019. Keeping this in mind its about time the BJP stop fighting with its allies and make attempts to gain new allies. Make friends.....
If the Congress' strategy for 2019 is 'Modi/BJP is bad' (instead of 'Cong is good/Cong can do better') then BJP will again win.

from what i am reading Ahmed patel is out as chief advisor and fixer. RaGa has chosen AK Anthony. Its also the end of Motilal Vohra though he might retire. Digi Chaha is also on his way to retirement/being sidelined..as are Veerappa Moily and Janardan Dwivedi and even Kamal Nath

from what i am reading Ahmed patel is out as chief advisor and fixer. RaGa has chosen AK Anthony. Its also the end of Motilal Vohra though he might retire. Digi Chaha is also on his way to retirement/being sidelined..as are Veerappa Moily and Janardan Dwivedi and even Kamal Nath
So MP in the hands of Scindia. The congress needs a strong issue againist BJP.The secular communal thing may backfire massively and play right into the hands of BJP.And the aam janta isnt going to be bothered about Lalit Modi. Congress is wasting time on the LaMo issue.

good riddance.. atleast RaGa should promote the younger lot..

Ambika Soni is seen as Sonia's chief advisor right now, no? Vora anyway didn't have much influence - he is around 85 years old and has been party treasurer for many years but never had much say in decision making. Kamalnath's days were over when he wasn't chosen as leader/deputy leader of party in Lok Sabha despite being the senior most MP in the house. Digvijay Singh I think will still have influence....in fact he may have more influence then before IMO. Many lawyers like Chidambaram, Moily, Sibal, Khurshid, Manish Tewari etc have been quite inactive since Lok Sabha results - all of them have been reviving their law practices which had slowed down because of being central ministers for 10 years. They hardly speak on party issues or attend meetings - this was in the news till a few months back.

I dont think DiGi chacha was going to get in the way of Scindia anyways. From what i can tell he has accepted his upcoming goodbye with grace. Scindia-MP Pilot Rajasthan Chavan Maharashtra these are the young turks (relatively) RaGa has groomed for the states they represent. The major change has been Ahmed Patel being replaced for AK Anthony. I think Anthony is effectively going to be the brains of Congress and handle matters of politics and strategies. Effectively an Amit Shah to a Narendra Modi. Patel from what i know if being given charge of his home state of Guj.

Ajay Kumar, Salman Soz, Jyotiraditya, Sachin Pilot can become a good team of representing Congress in media going forward but they surely need someone articualte as well as aggressive. Remember the popularity of Modi was also due to some brilliant spokespersons like Minakshi, Nirmala Sitaraman, Javdekar, Ravishankar Prasad etc during the UPA era who were able to highlight not only the failures of UPA but also they some how were able to market Modi and BJP. Currently Congress is doing good by highlighting the failures of Modi government but they are really very nervous and sound stupid when they are talking about their top leaders like Rahul or Sonia. Bhai you only have 3 years left just criticising government will not work because people will ask if not Modi then who?

Ambika Soni is seen as Sonia's chief advisor right now, no? Vora anyway didn't have much influence - he is around 85 years old and has been party treasurer for many years but never had much say in decision making. Kamalnath's days were over when he wasn't chosen as leader/deputy leader of party in Lok Sabha despite being the senior most MP in the house. Digvijay Singh I think will still have influence....in fact he may have more influence then before IMO. Many lawyers like Chidambaram, Moily, Sibal, Khurshid, Manish Tewari etc have been quite inactive since Lok Sabha results - all of them have been reviving their law practices which had slowed down because of being central ministers for 10 years. They hardly speak on party issues or attend meetings - this was in the news till a few months back.
He will still have influence the same way i guess the likes of Advani has influence. Ie when he speaks people will listen. But i dont think he will be given any positions of prominence. The gandhis dont trust ChiDu. They still feel he might be disloyal and jump back to the Tamil Manilla Congress. He is not a Gandhi loyalist. The rest of the names are basically deadwood. I think even Sonia would have replaced them. With regards of Soni..hmm not sure she is not important. Its just that maybe she was a women Gandhis wanted to make it appear she was part of the inner circle. You look at negotiations in Bihar and she is nowhere to be seen. Its still Patel who is ultimately meeting with Lalu etc to thrash out and ok deals. Bihar will probably be Patel's last assignment.

AK Antony has neither the political brain nor contacts across party lines to succeed as the chief advisor to Rahul.
thats good news for the bjp. The congress has been tapping Kerala for a lot of their operations. PC Chako was made the chief strategist for the Delhi polls. We all know how that went :cantstop: But i feel the Gandhis feel that southern India barring TN represents a place they can be revived as even the BJP is not prominent there. Kerala and Karnataka are two major states they still rule.

Regarding Ambika Soni - she manages Sonia Gandhi's office so she has a lot of influence still. And yes, South India is the place to go if Cong wants a revival - even in the '77 Janata wave South India mainly went to Cong. They already have K'taka and Kerela so that's a good foothold go start the revival. Problem is lack of leaders in AP/Telengana. Either they have to patch up with YSR's son or try to placate Kiran Kumar Reddy IMO. As for AK Antony - he was THE worst defence minister India has had in a long, long time. Just didn't clear any projects at all - the result of that can be seen clearly in the huge deficiencies in all areas of defence. In Cong his only task seems to be to make reports on why the party lost elections :cantstop:

Regarding Ambika Soni - she manages Sonia Gandhi's office so she has a lot of influence still. And yes' date=' South India is the place to go if Cong wants a revival - even in the '77 Janata wave South India mainly went to Cong. They already have K'taka and Kerela so that's a good foothold go start the revival. Problem is lack of leaders in AP/Telengana. Either they have to patch up with YSR's son or try to placate Kiran Kumar Reddy IMO. [/quote'] I dont think Kiran Kumar reddy commands the masses. He floated his own party which flopped badly. The problem for the Congress in Andhra pradesh residual is that as a result of they did in splitting the state they have forsaken that state for a while (probably next 2-3 election cycles). Their infrastructure and cadre have collapsed as a result of defections YSR congress would be foolish to attach the congress tag to them. Keep in mind it was the congress who sent Jagan to the courts. Kiran Kumar Reddy hmm he tried to enter the bjp but was blocked by Venkaiah Naidu. So he is writing a tell all book last i heard. In Telangana its hard to see beyond KCR, not only for the Congress but even the BJP and TDP. BJP-TDP combine may potentially win the GHMC but TRS is heavily dominant in the rural areas. Rao has caused so many defections from the Congress and TDP in rural areas that its not even worth documenting. There is just no competition for them. Things can change in politics, but as you said during the Janata Dal, they had the south they could retreat to. The problem for the congress is they dont really have a place they can turn to atm. This is why they are facing a major crisis. Its not just the BJP the Congress is being hemmed in by regional outfits in the south. Even in Kerela Indian Union Muslim League is probably going to demand a lot more seats from the Congress. I guess he will continue to make reports based on which RaGa can make the decision. lol. Not saying its the right call. But its a call which has supposedly been made.

GB, we see that congress is on the wane and will continue to be so but do you see them dropping below 25 in 2019? WHEN? WHY? HOW?
I very much doubt they will get below 25. I feel they might increase their count to more than 44. for starters if you look at the bypolls in kerela there is a good chance they will increase their score there. They currently have 8 seats there. Then in TN they will enter an alliance with the DMK where they will aim to get a few seats. It boosts their chances of nicking a few. of the 44 they have won a lot are seats which have been with the congress since independence. I think I looked at all the 44 some and 30-35 were with the congress for the last 20 plus years. A few of those seats were made into strong seats by leaders like kamal nath. Other have been historic congress seats regardless of candidate. In general i see the congress trying to stop Narendra Modi than trying to win atm. That might all change but I see them going for alliance, with say the BSP in UP etc same in Bihar with Jd(u) RJD. So the number of seats they contest in 2019 will probably come down. However they will probably be more than 44 seats in terms of victories. So its a case of strategically weakening yourself.

:(( aww God knows when will we see "Cong mukt bharat" :banghead:
I think the plan has changed... With the emergence of AAP at the expense of Congress, BJP needs Congress more as the principal opposition party... So BJP will do enough to keep Congress floating in order to thwart any plans by AAP to expand in other states... I'm anticipating Kejri to do a huge campaigning for Nitish in Bihar elections, to test his popularity... The groundwork of him campaigning in Bihar has already been done by Nitish...

^ Politics in UP, Bihar is slightly different. Free electricity free water thing wont work. Caste and religion still dominates it all. Laloos and Nitish dont need any advise. They are best in Bihar when it comes to playing politics. For, Rahul baba /Priyanka ji, villagers will queue up to see Indirajis grandson. Problem is earlier they used to vote cos of Indira ji after they have seen them.