The Congress Thread: Tracking India's Grand Old Party

jairamesh

Dude' date=' context!!!! I meant that Swamy's claims can not be considered serious unless he provides a credible source/documents for them. They are and will remain conspiracy theories, his educational background and historical comments are secondary.[/quote'] Yeah, I got it already. They aren't true. But one cannot say that they aren't completely false. One example would be his comments about Sonia's ancestory and her sister smuggling Indian antiques. May not true but no attempt has been made to prove that it's false. I had drawn a parallel to our political figures, who constantly deny that they have done nothing wrong despite of accusation. No one can prove that they done corruption or they cannot prove that they haven't done anything. Context is irrelevant here

mate,u used the term "BJP fan" when there was no need to,nobody defended swamy hell bent,some guys here here only said he has a good academic background and is better than diggy,how is this defending swamy? i myself admitted swamy`s a nutjob
From when did saying BJP fansas BJP fans derogatory.And i didnt even pinpoint or quote anyone.It was a general remark.

Yeah, I got it already. They aren't true. But one cannot say that they aren't completely false. One example would be his comments about Sonia's ancestory and her sister smuggling Indian antiques. May not true but no attempt has been made to prove that it's false. I had drawn a parallel to our political figures, who constantly deny that they have done nothing wrong despite of accusation. No one can prove that they done corruption or they cannot prove that they haven't done anything. Context is irrelevant here
No one bothers denying Swamy accusitions seriously becoz no one takes him seriously.He has been the butt of jokes in TN politics for more than a decade why would any try to deny his delusional claims and give him unnecessary importance. Frankly only think Swamy is worth in attention is for entertainment.I have seen couple of his public addresses in Madurai and they are pure gold in terms of comic value.Much better than Karthick and TR

No one bothers denying Swamy accusitions seriously becoz no one takes him seriously.He has been the butt of jokes in TN politics for more than a decade why would any try to deny his delusional claims and give him unnecessary importance. Frankly only think Swamy is worth in attention is for entertainment.I have seen couple of his public addresses in Madurai and they are pure gold in terms of comic value.Much better than Karthick and TR
Agree. :((

Yeah' date=' I got it already. They aren't true. [b']But one cannot say that they aren't completely false. One example would be his comments about Sonia's ancestory and her sister smuggling Indian antiques. May not true but no attempt has been made to prove that it's false. I had drawn a parallel to our political figures, who constantly deny that they have done nothing wrong despite of accusation. No one can prove that they done corruption or they cannot prove that they haven't done anything. Context is irrelevant here
Just in case, an allegation needs to be proven first; not the counter argument. Claims are made by Swamy, he needs to prove it with credible sources before expecting a reply.

Do Sonia, Rahul take Parliament seriously? Not really:winky:

An analysis of the attendance of the top two Congress leaders compared with those of the BJP MPs shows that the latter take Parliament way more seriously. According to data provided by PRS legislative, Congress President Sonia Gandhi‘s attendance in Parliament during the 15th Lok Sabha has been just 47 percent, while her counterpart, BJP President Rajnath Singh has 78 percent attendance, above the national average of 77 percent. A report in the Indian Express states that all the front-row leaders from other parties did much better than Congress president and her son. Octogenarian and veteran BJP leader LK Advani has 82 percent attendance, JD(U) chief Sharad Yadav attended 83 percent, RJD’s Lalu Prasad 79 percent and Samajwadi Party Chief Mulayam Singh Yadav was for 86 percent of Parliament proceedings. Gandhi’s highest attendance was during the March 2009 budget session (77 percent). However, while she has not been in the best of health, Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi has just chosen to stay away from proceedings. Rahul’s performance, was just 43 percent. His best record – the Budget session of May 2009 with 77 percent attendance, incidentally the same as his mother. Among young turks in Parliament, Rahul falls well below even his own aides – Meenakshi Natarajan (85 percent), Milind Deora (88 percent) and Deepender Hooda (82 percent). BJP General Secretary and Rahul’s cousin Varun Gandhi’s performance is better at 65 percent. But the two Congress leaders aren’t the only one’s missing Parliament proceedings. The Indian Express report says that of the 545 Lok Sabha members, 92 of them have attended less than half of Parliament’s sitting, while 120 members have attendance of over 90 percent. However, while attendance in Parliament won’t worry the two top Congress leaders too much, it is another statistic that will trouble her more. According to a detailed Indian Express article, despite a host of government schemes, the Congress president’s constituency of Rae Bareli ranks among the 10 poorest districts of Uttar Pradesh. Despite numerous projects being introduced by the Congress led government, the constituency still has 57.7 percent of its rural population below the poverty line. The article points out that despite projects that would invite an investment of a whopping Rs 6,939 crore in the constituency, almost none of them are completed or completely operational. Though the rate of announcement of projects increased after the Samajwadi Party came to power, few of these projects have benefited those who live in the constituency. The incomplete projects include railway projects, an NIFT, footwear design institute, a petroleum technology institute, a university for aviation, a university for women, and even a highway linking the district to Lucknow. Even in Rahul Gandhi’s constituency of Amethi, there is little progress to show for its high-profile MP representing them in Parliament. An Ibnlive article points also to how even personal contact with Rahul Gandhi hasn’t helped some in Amethi. In Semra village, Shivkumari at whose house Rahul and former British foreign secretary David Miliband spent a night during a much publicised even in January 2009 says it didn’t change her life in any way. With an NREGA card that doesn’t get her work, two of her five children dropped out of school due to lack of funds for their education. “He (Rahul) promised he’ll take care of my children’s education but I got nothing,†she was quoted as saying. While they may have been elected to represent their constituencies in Parliament, the attendance report of the Congress president and Vice President shows they have instead chosen to lay their faith in generous projects to ensure voters’ loyalty to them. But given a possibly waning of fondness for the Congress’ top leaders –the party lost 8 of 10 seats in the Amethia and Rae Bareli during the recent state elections — whether they will be able garner votes purely on the basis of incomplete promises remains to be seen.

Poverty is just a state of mind, says Rahul Gandhi

Allahabad: Hailing the role of self-help groups in advancement of marginalised section of society, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi today said they provide the poor with “self-confidence to overcome poverty”. The Congress leader made this comment while participating in a discourse on ‘Culture, Deepening Democracy and Most Marginalised Communities’, organised here by noted social scientist Badri Narayan. “I understand the weaknesses of our system. I will try my best to help the people but unless and until the voice of the marginalised comes out from within, nothing can be done,” Narayan quoted Gandhi as having said at the event which was organised at the G B Pant Social Science Institute on the outskirts of the city. “Poverty is just a state of mind. It does not mean the scarcity of food, money or material things. If one possesses self-confidence, then one can overcome poverty,” he said. In this context, Gandhi cited the example of a poor woman in Amethi, who redeemed her self-esteem by getting associated with self-help group Rajiv Gandhi Mahila Vikas Pariyojana. The Congress vice-president, who was accompanied by the party’s national general secretary Madhusudan Mistry, also interacted with people from remote villages of Allahabad and other neighbouring districts. He assured them “my one and only political aim is that I want to tune my ears to the voice of the poor and the marginalised”. Earlier, while inaugurating a branch of city-based Kamla Nehru Memorial Hospital in the district’s trans-Yamuna region, Gandhi expressed concern over “increasing money-mindedness” among medical practitioners and urged doctors to take a keen interest in serving in rural areas. Meanwhile, the visit of Gandhi here, the first after he was elevated as the Congress vice-president, was marked by protests from supporters of the BJP at a number of places. Activists of BJP’s youth wing Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) and the Congress students’ wing NSUI came to blows near the G B Pant Institute. BJYM activists had been raising slogans against the UPA government at the Centre and were attacked by NSUI activists when some of them tried to jump in front of Gandhi’s vehicle waving black flags, police said, adding that two persons have been rounded up in this connection. PTI
http://www.firstpost.com/politics/poverty-is-just-a-state-of-mind-says-rahul-gandhi-1012295.html is it just me or has Rahul Gandhi actually become dumber (if that was even possible) since he was made the Cong Vice Prez :hmmm: Its like his statements are made specifically to damage the Cong campaign in the Urban areas (where these statements actually become news).

Poverty is just a state of mind' date= says Rahul Gandhi is it just me or has Rahul Gandhi actually become dumber (if that was even possible) since he was made the Cong Vice Prez :hmmm: Its like his statements are made specifically to damage the Cong campaign in the Urban areas (where these statements actually become news).
All poor Indians are just living in their dream like in the movie Inception... Rahul baba will bring the spinning top to snap them out of their dream and make everyone rich and proudly proclaim at election rallies "India mein spinning top kaun laya" :giggle: