Sachin tendulkar vs Ms Dhoni :Who is India`s greatest Odi cricketer of all time ??

Sachin tendulkar vs Ms Dhoni :Who is India`s greatest Odi cricketer of all time ??  

1. 1.

I don't rate DHoni super-highly even with captaincy despite his high accolades' date='just threw in a debatable ball park number out there....[b']but in ODI's as a WK-Batsmen he is my No2 after Gilchrist. PS:Iam sure he is better than Greenidge and Azhar out of the people you have named
Yeah, there is simply no comparison between Gilchrist and Dhoni in any format of the game. It's like Pakis comparing Tendulkar to Inzi bhai. I might also rank Greenidge and Azhar below Dhoni, but the point is that they are very close and definitely not in the top tier of Tendulkar, Richards, Crowe etc.
On the basis of no. of big tourney wins we had with Dhoni. You don't win all the tourneys and given our history, where we only had 1983 WC to look at, the no. of big tourney wins we had under Dhoni is not something to sneer at. As for recent Asia Cup do you really want to know who actually ended up costing us the tourney (Hint: 100th 100) :haha:
how can you say a team as world beaters if it cant even make it to the k.o for three consecutive times ? i really dont get your logic ? when the team is winning you say its because of dhoni(even though he didn contribute with his performance) but when it loses your fingering an individual in a team sport. its not an individual's fault who scored a 100+ at a sr of 77.55 when a team couldn defend a total of 290 against a mighty bangladesh
how can you say a team as world beaters if it cant even make it to the k.o for three consecutive times ? i really dont get your logic ? when the team is winning you say its because of dhoni(even though he didn contribute with his performance) but when it loses your fingering an individual in a team sport. its not an individual's fault who scored a 100+ at a sr of 77.55 when a team couldn defend a total of 290 against a mighty bangladesh
1. I guess our definitions about being successful differ big time. To me winning World Cup, WT20 and Champions Trophy in a span of 6 years is huge success given that we strugged to win anything of note for the past 25 years or so. 2. Anyone who watched the Ind-B'desh game would know who cost ud the game. Don't want to go there again but if you want to blame Dhoni for that loss, be my guest.
1. I guess our definitions about being successful differ big time. To me winning World Cup, WT20 and Champions Trophy in a span of 6 years is huge success given that we strugged to win anything of note for the past 25 years or so.
But I thought we were always crap before Dhoni? Now suddenly a 25 years qualification?
1. I guess our definitions about being successful differ big time. To me winning World Cup, WT20 and Champions Trophy in a span of 6 years is huge success given that we strugged to win anything of note for the past 25 years or so. 2. Anyone who watched the Ind-B'desh game would know who cost ud the game. Don't want to go there again but if you want to blame Dhoni for that loss, be my guest.
we're still struggling(big time after dhoni) in tests abroad and world t20 ? heck even england and pakistan have one for their name. we're probably the only major team to have eliminated before k.o stage for three consecutive times yes i watched that game where sachin and kohli scored at a sr of 78 and 80 respectively where your best ever captain couldn do anything where our bowlers couldn defend a target of 290 against a mighty bangladesh team
yes i watched that game where sachin and kohli scored at a sr of 78 and 80 respectively where your best ever captain couldn do anything where our bowlers couldn defend a target of 290 against a mighty bangladesh team
I stand by my criticism for Tendulkar's knock in that game, but Dhoni fanboyzz were recently saying Sri Lanka would not have scored 350 if Dhoni was kaptaan instead of Kohli - that's so preposterous because with Dhoni we have conceded almost 300 runs to BD and 400+ runs to Sri Lanka.
Yeah, there is simply no comparison between Gilchrist and Dhoni in any format of the game. It's like Pakis comparing Tendulkar to Inzi bhai. I might also rank Greenidge and Azhar below Dhoni, but the point is that they are very close and definitely not in the top tier of Tendulkar, Richards, Crowe etc.
Err i beg to differ. In ODIs & T20s there is definitely a case for Dhoni being a bigger impact player than Gillchrist. It resembles Paki fantasies of Tendy vs Inzy when we compare Dhoni vs Gilly in tests, where Gilly is clearly miles & miles better. But in ODIs ? I will go with Dhoni. Because while it is certainly no joke to score at nearly 35 runs average at nearly 100 strike rate, it is easier to replace than what Dhoni brings to the table, which is by far the best #5/#6 finisher in the limtied format of the game. He is greater at it than Bevan, he is better than Jonty, the two most impactful #5/6 i've seen. I still agree with your initial statement- that while Tendy has only one competitor for being the best ever ODI player (Richards), Dhoni has plenty ahead of him that makes a top 10 ODI player ever a possibility but not a certainty for Dhoni.
Exactly' date=' If you had the option to pick between MSD and SRT in a ODI team, it has to be MSD.[/quote'] Only if you've been watching ODIs for the last 5-8 years. Dhoni wont ever be a better bat than Tendy. Not unless half a dozen bowlers like Waqar, Wasim,Donald, Ambrose,Walsh, Bishop, deVilliers, McGrath,etc. spring up because currently there arnt any ODI bowlers of their callibre that Tendy bashed to bits. Yes, i know you can only do what your opposition throws at you and its not Dhoni's fault that he bats in an era where bowling units are 50% as good as 10+ years ago. But unless Dhoni manages to average 55+ with 90+ strike rate, his ODI numbers are simply of not the same value as Tendy's.

The difference between the best batsman of the day on the one hand, and all time legends on the other is this. The first kind mostly impress through numbers - averages, centuries, strike rates etc. The second kind impress through batsmanship. A snapshot in time is all that's needed. Of course the second kind have the numbers too.

Err i beg to differ. In ODIs & T20s there is definitely a case for Dhoni being a bigger impact player than Gillchrist. It resembles Paki fantasies of Tendy vs Inzy when we compare Dhoni vs Gilly in tests, where Gilly is clearly miles & miles better. But in ODIs ? I will go with Dhoni. Because while it is certainly no joke to score at nearly 35 runs average at nearly 100 strike rate, it is easier to replace than what Dhoni brings to the table, which is by far the best #5/#6 finisher in the limtied format of the game. He is greater at it than Bevan, he is better than Jonty, the two most impactful #5/6 i've seen. I still agree with your initial statement- that while Tendy has only one competitor for being the best ever ODI player (Richards), Dhoni has plenty ahead of him that makes a top 10 ODI player ever a possibility but not a certainty for Dhoni.
good post..fully agreed //
You are missing Hussey and Symonds from the list. The best finishers in ODI cricket have been Dhoni, Bevan, Symonds, Yuvraj, and Hussey. While Rhodes was really good, I won't rank him as good as the others in the list. One might say that Dhoni is the best of the lost, but the others also make a very good case of being the best, specially Bevan and Hussey. On the other hand Gilchrist is clearly the best among the top attacking openers - Gilchrist, Sehwag, Gayle, and Jayasuriya.
You are missing Hussey and Symonds from the list. The best finishers in ODI cricket have been Dhoni, Bevan, Symonds, Yuvraj, and Hussey. While Rhodes was really good, I won't rank him as good as the others in the list. One might say that Dhoni is the best of the lost, but the others also make a very good case of being the best, specially Bevan and Hussey. On the other hand Gilchrist is clearly the best among the top attacking openers - Gilchrist, Sehwag, Gayle, and Jayasuriya.
I disagree, I think Sehwag and Gayle are/were clearly better than Gilly as a fast scoring opener and i also rate Anwar ahead of him. The group of openers who are fast & attacking openers is far deeper than the group of finishers. yes, Hussey & Symonds are part of that club but they simply didnt/havnt done it for long enough compared to Jonty,Bevan and Dhoni. Jonty was the most underrated of the lot IMO for he was a Bevan who could actually clear the boundary while being just as lightning fast in stealing runs. In anycase, if you prfer Gillchrist, i wont begrudge you that, he is one of the top 10 openers in my books.but Gilly and dhoni are definitely comparable in the limited overs format.
I disagree, I think Sehwag and Gayle are/were clearly better than Gilly as a fast scoring opener and i also rate Anwar ahead of him. The group of openers who are fast & attacking openers is far deeper than the group of finishers. yes, Hussey & Symonds are part of that club but they simply didnt/havnt done it for long enough compared to Jonty,Bevan and Dhoni. Jonty was the most underrated of the lot IMO for he was a Bevan who could actually clear the boundary while being just as lightning fast in stealing runs. In anycase, if you prfer Gillchrist, i wont begrudge you that, he is one of the top 10 openers in my books.but Gilly and dhoni are definitely comparable in the limited overs format.