Tendulkar jumping boundary wall

DomainK

TEXT BY AYAZ MEMON PHOTO BY SANTOSH BANE The year is 1990, we’re still in the first half. I am on balmy Marine Drive, driving my spluttering Yezdi to VT where I write on sports for the still-new The Independent. A Maruti 800 zips past me near the Police Gymkhana. The driver’s face looks vaguely familiar. It couldn’t…or could it be Sachin Tendulkar? Isn’t he, at not-yet 17, underage to be driving a car? I tail the Maruti, it stops on the sea face at Parsi Gymkhana. It IS Tendulkar. Instead of walking the distance to the main entrance of the gymkhana, Tendulkar, who has played seven Tests and is already the toast of the cricket world, impatiently vaults over the wall and sprints towards the pavilion where his teammates are waiting. Why walk, when you can run? Why be demure when you can dance? His impatience to get into the maidan and in the thick of cricketing battle is undisguised. Acting on a ‘reporter’s hunch’ that he would take the same route the next day too, I ask photographer Santosh Bane to go to the ground next day, station himself near the boundary and capture Tendulkar in mid-air if he jumps off the wall again. Well, he did. And Bane got his photo. For me nothing has captured Tendulkar’s exuberance for a of cricket better than this moment.
2dvl63a.jpg Thank you, Ayaz Memon.