India's Tour to South Africa, 2013

The fact that Pandey failed against 2 stronger teams much have created doubts over his current form.
Bengal is not a strong team and neither services is a very good batting side. Their batting is pretty fragile. I am surprised to see his struggle in last 3 matches. It is not like he has gone for runs. He has been very economical in all matches but could not pick wickets after first match. MP's poor fielding might also have a played a big role.
I am more or less happy with both teams. Main issue is that there is no Pujara in ODIs. He should have been included , not only as a no.4 batter but also to get used to conditions in SAF for the more important test series. Happy that there is no Vinay or Unadkat. Big relief. Ishant back in ODIs is disappointing.
Remember, pujara has a very bad ankle injury.....Modern one dayer demand very athletic and energetic fielding. It's a good call from selectors to keep him away. He is a very valuable player for tests and can't risk him
Remember' date=' pujara has a very bad ankle injury.....Modern one dayer demand very athletic and energetic fielding. It's a good call from selectors to keep him away. He is a very valuable player for tests and can't risk him[/quote'] Pujara does not have any ankle injury. He had knee injury but he is fit and fine now. There is no problem with his knees now.
Bengal is not a strong team and neither services is a very good batting side. Their batting is pretty fragile. I am surprised to see his struggle in last 3 matches. It is not like he has gone for runs. He has been very economical in all matches but could not pick wickets after first match. MP's poor fielding might also have a played a big role.
He played the last match against TN , isn't it ? If the selectors are looking for a excuse to include Ishant then TN and Bengal can be cited as big teams against whom he did not perform. Otherwise, for a consistent performer like Pandey, a couple of matches should not matter. Also, as Ultimate pointed out, his performance in SAF against their A team, should have counted for something.
Serious question-Dhoni played Bhuvi at home' date='why do you think he will get dropped in conditions taylored made for him?[/quote'] I don't necessarily think Dhoni would. This is my preference. I think it would be better to include a genuine fast bowler with a strike rate of 46 in tests. BK would perhaps bowl well in SAF but I think these 3 would be better both in individual wicket taking ability as well as bowling combination wise.

I Still cant believe that our ego full and balls less BCCI allowed their personal agenda to basically alter what could have been a great tour by India....& a great chance to start their march towards No1 in Test. Now...with just 2 Test....its like almost going to leave the fans wanting for more. I accept that 2 test series are ok against WI/SL/NZ/Zim/BD...but with the other ie SA/Eng/Aus/Pak it should be atleast 3 test minimun

Zak, Shami, Umesh can be a formidable attack provided Dhoni learns how to capt on those tracks and don't try the same tactic which caused us great harm last time, things that can succeed on Indian tracks, his defensive field settings and captaincy can be a great liability, hopefully he matures after the trouncing we had last time under him on away tours

I Still cant believe that our ego full and balls less BCCI allowed their personal agenda to basically alter what could have been a great tour by India....& a great chance to start their march towards No1 in Test. Now...with just 2 Test....its like almost going to leave the fans wanting for more. I accept that 2 test series are ok against WI/SL/NZ/Zim/BD...but with the other ie SA/Eng/Aus/Pak it should be atleast 3 test minimun
By reducing 1 test and few ODIs, the series against WI and the farewell to Sachin at home was possible. I wouldn't trade that for any test. It was simply one of the greatest farewell to any sportsman and he thoroughly deserved it.
Just look at the amount of practice matches England are playing in Asuralia and compare that with our tour to SA. Just one 2-dayer.
Playing odis first was a great move,Taking umesh,zak and most test batsman except pujara{should have been taken} is also going to help.